Outboard resurgence.

Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Re: Outboard resurgence.

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Tuscany wrote:No problem. If I go with a stern drive, my mind was made up months ago.
As far as experience, have you owned or driven the new VP 380 yet?
Thanks.
I have not. I have driven the merc 380. The dealership, which conveniently is my home marina, has a R5 with the VP380 in it. I will make a stop in for the test drive event they have in May to give it a spin.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

That's my point.
We all have experience, but as technology and engine platforms change, our prior experience means nothing.
I have zero experience with the new 6.0l or any new outboard choices.

The 502 GM is Flintstone technology, and as we currently see in the automotive marketplace, there is indeed a replacement for displacement. Variable valve timing, more precise fuel injection, lighter weight, better head technology and alloys. Etc.
Yes, the 8.2l sells today, but I wouldn't touch one because it'll be considered an unefficient and outdated platform that no one will want shortly.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

The 6.0 is old also has far as the auto industry goes. Not sure why they don't use the 6.2l. the problem is the auto is going to direct injection and that had its own set of valve problems. Also multi cam engines in auto. They don't like the rpms that marine use. People like reliability and that's why the good old 4.3 5.7 8.1 is still a good thing to go with. Until Volvo and merc's own engines prove reliable and as good of performance the good old small block and big block have there place. Technology is getting better it won't be long but I don't think anything we have right now people won't want. Like everything else it all costs more. With all the new electronics there using and new engines it's going to be a expensive hobby. I see the issues with today's new engine tech everyday. I hate to see what will happen to them in the marine industry. Mercury stem drive is way down and outboards are way up. Again they all have there place.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Outboard resurge

Post by Tuscany »

I own both of these engines today.
One in my GMC 2500hd, and the other in my wife's Yukon Denali.
I don't think the 6.0l reliability will enter into the equation. Cast iron blocks are reliable platforms.

My wife's DI 6.2l is a monster engine, but also complicated and aluminum. DI has had its reliability issues, thus the use of the older, simpler gen 1 6.2 for marine use.
The 6.0L (LS) is a proven high mileage, bulletproof design that is a fairly simple and reliable.
Automotive engines like the 8.2l and 6.0 are detuned in a major way for marine use. So, IMO, I don't see long term reliability and an issue at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS_base ... ock_engine
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

To finish my post above while being distracted by watching the Bills get crushed by the Jets.
Boating seems to be no different from any other fuel consuming toy.
New boat power options have to be lighter, faster, quicker and more efficient. Thus the lighter, all cast VVT 6.0L stern option that IMO makes the big block obsolete.

To come full circle in this thread, it brings us right back to the original question.
Outboards are now getting to the point where they might be the better play now, and most probably the engine configuration of choice very soon.
Lighter, more efficient and definitely more versatile.
Imagine an R3 or R5 with a 350 outboard?
If the R5 were available with that engine....I think I would bite.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

As a Jets fan I can assure you that win was worse than the Bills loss. Stupid Jets can't even tank right...
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Yet more evidence that big luxury boats are looking harder at outboards, even in the 40+ foot cruiser range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK-qhR--beQ

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

liquid wrote:As a Jets fan I can assure you that win was worse than the Bills loss. Stupid Jets can't even tank right...
I liken being a Bills fan to the cutting disease,,.
It hurts, its not healthy and its inexplicably stupid, but we can't stop it.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Tuscany, as a Vikings fan, all I can say is we blew four Superbowls first. One of these days we'll win one, but it's looking less and less like it will be in my lifetime...
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Sorry John I would just not say I'm a Vikings fan. lol. Come to the dark side neighbor.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I like the places this thread has gone... GL to your pack this weekend BB, remember my dad grew up in Neenah.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This one was on a 23 Chap I think. Still not a fan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I understand the outboard thing a little better now. I've been in Bonita Beach Florida for a couple weeks, and had the opportunity to see different types of boats and also the issues salt water brings. Lots of washing, cleaning and flushing after every use. I had no idea the time needed to clean things out right..
Outboards are much easier in this respect.
For fresh water lake boaters like us, it doesn't make sense to give up the swim deck, or the horsepower to cost ratio a stern drive provides.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

100% agree. I wish I would have taken a picture from the rear. They are trying to mold a platform into the hull but to me didn't look right. The dealership owner said the same thing much larger deal on the salt water than fresh.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Cobalt had a new 25cs in Toronto, but I don't even remember getting on it. After looking at what a person would give up, it was pretty clear that it wasn't in the mix. My wife and son voted an immediate no.
Cobalts version of a deck boat isn't that attractive to begin with.

Like I said, being down here makes the choices more clear and easier to make as I learn the differences.
I found a place to rent a boat for a day for around $200 a day, which is pretty cheap when considering how much we would use it, vs. the cost to tow and then store a boat on a rack. So there is no chance I would bring the boat down here.
I don't need to order ugly galvanizing on the trailer, or torsion suspension which I don't like anyway.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine