Where do you go to get the market value of your boat?

sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Where do you go to get the market value of your boat?

Post by sailor55330 »

I talked to a buddy of mine who lives on the lake we usually frequent. The ice is still close to 19 inches thick in spots. No one is even predicting when ice out will be. Almost 13 inches of snow yesterday. All of this has me seriously considering selling the boat. At best, the water will still be in the low 60's/upper 50's in June and might get into the low 70's by Late July/August (when the lab won't go in, it's too cold). This is one of the latest springs anyone around can remember. Boats were in the water last year at this time. Realistically, That means we are probably looking at a 3 month boating season at best. It's getting to the point that I can't justify owning a boat for that little of a season. I haven't talked to the wife yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it, but not sure where to start on valuations.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Where do you go to get the market value of your boat?

Post by Ytmsn »

Didn't You just buy it? Start there. Valuations are determined by the buyer, not a book. Cobalts hold their value, and they aren't making any more 18s this year unless you already have a build slot. That trickles down to preowned and drives all values up.

Tell us again what you have sailor. Hell me or BB might want run at it..
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Ytmsn wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:39 pm Didn't You just buy it? Start there. Valuations are determined by the buyer, not a book. Cobalts hold their value, and they aren't making any more 18s this year unless you already have a build slot. That trickles down to preowned and drives all values up.

Tell us again what you have sailor. Hell me or BB might want run at it..
Well it's a 2017 r3 5.3 300 Volvo dps drive. black beauty.
You will take a bath on her. It's going to be warm starting next week. Really boating by memorial day shouldn't be a issue. Yes the water will be cold by the 4th but it always is up here. I think it only got to 78 last year. Lots of rain last year. But I was boating till almost November. I boated in January. Ok that didn't count. Have to love Az for that. So for the value is really what someone is willing to pay for it. My value is different then yours. But I look at what the boats are listed for and go from there. I check nada for a reference. You may only get wholesale for it or you may get list. It sometimes depends on how bad you want to sell it. If your in a hurry then it goes for less. If your not on a hurry then you hold out for more. It's got the wrong engine package for me so it would only be a flip for me so I'm at wholesale. If you're serious let me or Yt know first. Pm us I won't talk money on here if your going to sell it. Pm us.

Also that's why I like to own mine free and clear. I don't care then how much I use it. I don't feel like I have to be out every day or weekend.it's for the family enjoyment.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Somewhere between this and what you paid new. This has been sitting for almost a year now so they may be too high. If it’s a 2017 I would take off $10k from what you paid and take the first offer of $15K less.

https://www.candlewoodeast.com/new-mode ... 4-1747775i
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

sailor55330 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:28 pm I talked to a buddy of mine who lives on the lake we usually frequent. The ice is still close to 19 inches thick in spots. No one is even predicting when ice out will be. Almost 13 inches of snow yesterday. All of this has me seriously considering selling the boat. At best, the water will still be in the low 60's/upper 50's in June and might get into the low 70's by Late July/August (when the lab won't go in, it's too cold). This is one of the latest springs anyone around can remember. Boats were in the water last year at this time. Realistically, That means we are probably looking at a 3 month boating season at best. It's getting to the point that I can't justify owning a boat for that little of a season. I haven't talked to the wife yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it, but not sure where to start on valuations.

Suggestions?

Thanks
You would be better off to keep the boat, go to the lake, and keep warm by burning dollar bills in a firepit.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Youll regret selling IMO. Dont do it.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Plus, if you sell the boat you are not going to need to buy my tongue weight scale. That would make me sad.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Maybe just do this.
Sorry if it doesn't work.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... d.php&_rdr
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Wow....thats really cool....just hope you dont run over a big rock or something.

One season is not enough. Give it at least...at the very least....one more season. Then decide.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

sailor55330 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:28 pm I talked to a buddy of mine who lives on the lake we usually frequent. The ice is still close to 19 inches thick in spots. No one is even predicting when ice out will be. Almost 13 inches of snow yesterday. All of this has me seriously considering selling the boat. At best, the water will still be in the low 60's/upper 50's in June and might get into the low 70's by Late July/August (when the lab won't go in, it's too cold). This is one of the latest springs anyone around can remember. Boats were in the water last year at this time. Realistically, That means we are probably looking at a 3 month boating season at best. It's getting to the point that I can't justify owning a boat for that little of a season. I haven't talked to the wife yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it, but not sure where to start on valuations.

Suggestions?

Thanks
With all due respect, get a grip🤨.. it’s only April 15th, and not July 4th.
The weather can turn around in an instant and hit 90 degrees by Mother’s Day. Give the season a chance.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Sorry to hear .. I've been there before and I'm sure all off us have made the " bad call" that would be right if conditions were more advantageous..

Remember 2 things.. Boats are in the entertainment category. There purpose is to enjoy and have fun memories without being a burden. As soon as anything expensive moves to the burden category.. it's gotta go!

( I've come to enjoy the paid for used boats as they won't fall in that category.

Lastly.. bigger ticket boats$$ the market is going to be split on cash buyers and financing.

The buyer getting a loan will have there " nada book value" as a tool. ( been there and my comment was.. looks like you'll need more Down if you want her)

As others stated it's what the market prevails.. go try online to buy your exact boat and even though you won't know what it sold for.. you will at least get a market ask price to interest some buyers.

In the mean while as the ads are up and running.. enjoy your entertainment!😎
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Best advice from above is give it another year if you can. This has been (I hope temporarily) a horrible weather year. I bought an rv lot in Alabama this year so I could get to "warm" weather in winter. So much for that. The locals said it was the worst weather they could remember. But I bought it with a long term outlook. In your case, you could end up having a great boating year. My opinion, give it some time.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:36 pm Sorry to hear .. I've been there before and I'm sure all off us have made the " bad call" that would be right if conditions were more advantageous..

Remember 2 things.. Boats are in the entertainment category. There purpose is to enjoy and have fun memories without being a burden. As soon as anything expensive moves to the burden category.. it's gotta go!

( I've come to enjoy the paid for used boats as they won't fall in that category.

Lastly.. bigger ticket boats$$ the market is going to be split on cash buyers and financing.

The buyer getting a loan will have there " nada book value" as a tool. ( been there and my comment was.. looks like you'll need more Down if you want her)

As others stated it's what the market prevails.. go try online to buy your exact boat and even though you won't know what it sold for.. you will at least get a market ask price to interest some buyers.

In the mean while as the ads are up and running.. enjoy your entertainment!😎

+1
Well said Matt.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Well, after talking it over with the other half, the boat is staying. And you guys were right....it is only April. I guess it's the southern boy in me that just doesn't deal well with cold, plus apparently, I'm not a very patient man.

On the bright side, after looking at some prices on 2016 R3's (remember, I bought mine in 2017 as a hold over at my dealer), if the posts on the various boat trader type sites are accurate, then I feel alot better about my purchase knowing what the market seems to want to bring.

So, I guess now, y'all are stuck with me.

Sorry for the rant earlier.

*head hung*
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

sailor55330 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 pm Well, after talking it over with the other half, the boat is staying. And you guys were right....it is only April. I guess it's the southern boy in me that just doesn't deal well with cold, plus apparently, I'm not a very patient man.

On the bright side, after looking at some prices on 2016 R3's (remember, I bought mine in 2017 as a hold over at my dealer), if the posts on the various boat trader type sites are accurate, then I feel alot better about my purchase knowing what the market seems to want to bring.

So, I guess now, y'all are stuck with me.

Sorry for the rant earlier.

*head hung*
I can see how the weather is frustrating. Glad you going to hang in there with the boat. No need to feel bad about the comments. I think most the Northern guys have "cabin fever" this year.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"