If the forum displays incorrectly, please try clearing your browser cache or reloading the web page!

Recently picked up a rod and reel - Abu Garcia Revo S and St. Croix Avid

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Recently picked up a rod and reel - Abu Garcia Revo S and St. Croix Avid

Post by jhnmdahl » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:01 pm

A little bit of searching and I found that the Shimano Stradic is sort of a benchmark spinning reel by which many other reels are judged (at least in lake-style fishing in Minnesota). But, the Ci4 was around $220, and I was hoping to get by for less without sacrificing much in the way of quality.

I ended up with an Abu Garcia Revo S, which ergonomically felt great and spec-sheet wise looked competitive (although slightly fewer bearings, etc.) with the benchmarks. The reel was mated to a St. Croix Avid rod, and I'm pretty pleased with the overall setup. Noticeable upgrade over my dated gear the first time out, and landed a bass within half an hour or so (threw him back) so got to test out more than just casting and reeling in :)
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boat forum

liquid
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Recently picked up a rod and reel - Abu Garcia Revo S and St. Croix Avid

Post by liquid » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 am

I have plenty of different set ups depending on what kind of fishing I'm doing. For light gear saltwater fishing Shimano is my go to - Stella reel and Teralejo shore casting rod.

As far as freshwater I've tinkered around with quite a few setups and I've settled into a Lamiglas rod and a Pfleuger reel. Both affordable and well made.

I've used more expensive gear and this combo consistently feels right and catches fish. Check out Pfleuger reels for a moderate price and good quality:

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger ... ing-reels/
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Nice find. I looked at Pflueger fairly hard as a more cost-effective alternative to the Shimano Stradic, but the Abu Garcia just felt right in my hands. I think ergonomics can make a difference, and can vary from person to person - I'm glad I went to the store and played with each of them rather than just ordering based on reviews.

The Stella reel looks like a monster, especially paired with the Tiralejo rod - unfortunately there's not much use for a setup like that in Minnesota.

liquid
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by liquid » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:04 pm

You'd be surprised - I'll switch that Stella 4000 to a Trevala rod, throw on a butterfly jig and catch lake trout in the middle of the lake.

I agree though, there are many opinions out there about what the best setups are but it's really about what feels right in your paw. ;)
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL

liquid
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by liquid » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Any fish on that stick yet? pics?
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:46 am

A few, yep, but we've spent more time with other watersports. A bass I caught "by accident" once I had given up for the day and pulled the bait off my spoon, and a few northern. My wife was a bigger fisher than I am, and she's fortunately adapted to some of the things I like to do on a boat other than fish.

liquid
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by liquid » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Yeah, I'm not wild about fish blood on the boat either.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL