Winterizing

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
cobalter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Winterizing

Post by cobalter »

Took my 210 to dealer for winterizing here in eastern KS on Oct. 21. Had 20 hrs. so dealer hooked up computer, changed oil, etc. He says Volvo wants the mineral oil in for 100 hrs. before changing over to synthetic as they believe break-in will take place more effectively. Had read this somewhere previously. Anyway he hooked everything back up and said in the spring all I need to do is put the boat in the water and go. Check oil and leave engine cover up for a bit to check all the fittings for leaks, etc. In the future would hope I can do the winterizing myself as trip to dealer is 4 hrs. round trip. Just a reminder, check your trailer wheel nuts. They do loosen up over time.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Winterizing

Post by jhnmdahl »

This is 100% consistent with what I've seen too, although mineral oil hours seem to vary from 20 to 50 to 100 depending on what manual is referenced. It is convenient that they prefer a full tank of gas and fresh oil in the boat over winter with water drained but hoses reconnected, making it easy to get going when the weather turns nice.

I have the Volvo engine in mine, and posted a few things in the "Maintenance and Storage" subforum:
http://www.cobaltchat.com/viewforum.php?f=27
and the "Volvo Penta" subforum:
http://www.cobaltchat.com/viewforum.php?f=34

Good reminder about the lug nuts - my boat came with an EZ loader trailer, and I was quite surprised how loose the lug nuts were after a couple months worth of boating.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
wfbacker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Winterizing

Post by wfbacker »

Where in Eastern Kansas do you take your Cobalt for service?