Lake Guntersville HydroFest....Who's Going

nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Lake Guntersville HydroFest....Who's Going

Post by nolaboater99 »

Morning Y'all....

For the first time in more than 30 years the spectacular Unlimited Hydroplanes will be racing on Lake Guntersville, AL. If you have never seen these boats race live and in-person then, as boaters, you owe it to yourselves to give attending this event some thought.

The dates are Friday, June 22nd through, Sunday June 24th. Here is a link to the official website with location, lodging, ticket and all other needed information: https://www.marshallcountycvb.com/on-the-lake/hydrofest

Race officials have set up a 2 1/2 mile course instead of the standard 2 mile. This will produce higher straight away speeds reaching 250 MPH and a bit tighter turns. Those of us with boats that meet the requirements, can watch the race from the water just outside the racecourse.
nascar-water.jpg
I am planning to tow my boat up from the New Orleans area on Thursday the 21st. I have found a vacation cabin rental on the lake with a boat dock so I will be putting my boat in the water Thursday and I will pull it out and drive home on Monday the 25th. It would be cool if we could get a good showing of CobaltChat members to attend and we could raft up for the races and a bit of Cobalt posing around the lake. There are still quite a few lodging choices available with dock space and without.

Anybody think they can make this trip?
Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1985 Cobalt CM23
383 Stroker GM Small Block
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Lake Guntersville HydroFest....Who's Going

Post by Ytmsn »

I won't be able to. I'll be in Connecticut that weekend, but if anyone else goes be sure to take lots of pictures!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I wish.I saw them here and in Milwaukee years ago. They are great. I'm sure some of you remember circus circus.
A8 who was the driver of that boat?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Ytmsn wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 am I won't be able to. I'll be in Connecticut that weekend, but if anyone else goes be sure to take lots of pictures!
Where in Connecticut YT?
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:30 pm I wish.I saw them here and in Milwaukee years ago. They are great. I'm sure some of you remember circus circus.
A8 who was the driver of that boat?
The Circus Circus boat had several drivers over the years and quite an interesting story. In 1979 the first driver was Steve Reynolds. Two years later Ron Armstrong drove the boat. The team "retired" for a few years and when they came back Jon Prevost was at the helm. Jon destroyed the main boat and the backup boat in 1987 and sponsorship was lost again. However, a few years later they were back in it with the legendary Chip Hanauer behind the wheel. He would win his first National Driver's Points Championship that year.

It's kind of an interesting story and can be read in it's entirety here.... http://thunderboats.ning.com/page/the-c ... rcus-story
Shawn
1985 Cobalt CM23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Chip was my hero
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Skiingstrongman wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:06 pm
Ytmsn wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 am I won't be able to. I'll be in Connecticut that weekend, but if anyone else goes be sure to take lots of pictures!
Where in Connecticut YT?
Mohegan Sun at the Barrett-Jackson auction. Will you be close by?
"Black Boats Matter"
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

I was just there last weekend. We are on the other side. I’m in the Stamford area, half hour from NYC.
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Cool! I'll pm you. I thought about going a day or two early and renting a boat.
"Black Boats Matter"
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

PM me if you’re driving up 95 you’ll drive through my town. Mohegan is on the Thames river.
Bamabonners
Commander
Commander

Post by Bamabonners »

That’s my home lake. If anyone decides to come in, hit me up and I’ll show you around. Always welcome on my boat.
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Wish I could, sounds awesome. You guys hear about the Lickety Split driver?

Also - Guntersville is an awesome name for a lake.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

Bamabonners wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 am That’s my home lake. If anyone decides to come in, hit me up and I’ll show you around. Always welcome on my boat.
I'm looking right now for a place to stay on the lake that has a boat dock. I would rather not launch and load everyday. AS an alternative I would like to find a marina that would rent me a slip for the weekend. Planning to drive up on the 22nd and come home on the 25th. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shawn
trs23
Commander
Commander

Post by trs23 »

Lake Washington is our home lake and home to the hydros each August during Seafair weekend. Chip is a local in the community and the hydros occasionally use the lake for testing.

I highly recommend seeing these boats at an event, growing up the late 70s/80s I still remember Miss Budweiser and Circus Circus going head to head in multiple lakes around the country (including a big event at the Lake of the Ozarks). Really miss the old V-12 “thunder boats”, the helicopter/turbofan engines just don’t have the rumble of old.
nolaboater99
Captain
Captain

Post by nolaboater99 »

I reserved a place today on Lake Guntersville. It's on Buck Island near the Muni Airport and the Yacht Club? It's a 2 bedroom place that sleeps 6 and I have the use of their dock so I can drop the boat in Thursday when I arrive and leave it in until I leave on Monday. It's less than 5 minutes to the boat race course.

The Bar Is Open!!!....
1985 Cobalt CM23