R7/R5 Windlass Details

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

R7/R5 Windlass Details

Post by slideruleracer »

So, I'm already thinking about next winter's upgrades for my 250.... Could any R5 or R7 owners with the windlass option post some detailed photos of how the windlass is setup? If there are any models of the winch or anchor, please include them if you can.

Also, based on my perusing of photos, it looks as if the control buttons are underneath the anchor hatch - is that correct? For me, the main benefit of getting a windlass is so I can drop anchor while I'm controlling from the helm - do you find buttons in the front hatch to be a problem?

Thanks!
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: R7/R5 Windlass Details

Post by Tuscany »

The drop and raise buttons on an R series is by the drivers ankle on the wall.
The windlass (black) button is above the water pump shut off in this pic.

If a person anchors a lot, it's a must have.
We personally anchor very little, but it's an option I would get next time. Just saves the hassle of digging out an anchor and tossing it in. A lazy mans option, and THATS ME!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Thanks Tuscany - I guess it's the older ones with the buttons up front. We anchor a lot - and not having to run back and forth between anchor locker and helm would be real nice. I wonder if Cobalt would sell me the entire assembly from a new R7? I'd probably have to modify the front plate a little to fit the shape of the 250 hull, but they're probably close.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

slideruleracer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:49 pm Thanks Tuscany - I guess it's the older ones with the buttons up front. We anchor a lot - and not having to run back and forth between anchor locker and helm would be real nice. I wonder if Cobalt would sell me the entire assembly from a new R7? I'd probably have to modify the front plate a little to fit the shape of the 250 hull, but they're probably close.
I have no doubt you could modify anything you want to fit anything you want. You could put a 49 Ford Grill on the front of that thing and make it look right!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

:-) I appreciate the confidence!
2004 250
502 Gxi
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Matt has it on his 282. I believe the controller for his is in the anchor locker. Might want to ask him for a picture or 2.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Have both slide.. I use the helm for drop.. is use the helm for retrieve as I bump forward.

The only time is use the bow buttons is for after tie off to leave no load on Windlass.

Then for the final foot to bump bump it in.

I think having both is good!!

Or just have a spotter with a good sence of Stop!! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
charron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by charron »

slideruleracer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:49 pm Thanks Tuscany - I guess it's the older ones with the buttons up front. We anchor a lot - and not having to run back and forth between anchor locker and helm would be real nice. I wonder if Cobalt would sell me the entire assembly from a new R7? I'd probably have to modify the front plate a little to fit the shape of the 250 hull, but they're probably close.
I have a 2018 R7 and the controls are at the helm and at the bow right next to the windlass. It’s recommended that you use the bow controls over the helm controls.
2018 Cobalt R7 380VP
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Charron, could you post some detailed photos of how the installation is setup in the bow? I'd love to see how the boat is constructed around the windlass.. Thanks!
2004 250
502 Gxi
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

You might try that but if your boat is older than 7years old and the hull id number didn't have one good luck. I even had a id from a different newer boat and they wouldn't sell me a swim platform. But you never know. My dealer and another dealer wouldn't do it. Just my 2 cents of warning ahead of time.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Oh yeah.. I remember reading about your ordeal. Well, first I guess I need to decide if I can just fab up the pieces myself or if it really will be easier to buy the marked up assembly. The part that's the hardest is giving the anchor roller enough structural support that it isn't pulling on the outer hull sheets and I'm still trying to understand what cobalt puts in the boat to accomplish that.

Stay tuned! :-)
2004 250
502 Gxi