FNG

Skylord226
Ensign
Ensign

FNG

Post by Skylord226 »

Another new guy to the forum.....figured I'd say hi. Picked up a one owner 2000 226 that was very well taken care of, wow what a boat! The 425 HP 8.1 GXI pushes her along at a surprising clip! I'm gonna enjoy my summer with her for sure....no name yet, need to come up with something good.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: FNG

Post by jhnmdahl »

Welcome, and congrats on the purchase! User "Big Block Power" has a boat that is fairly similar, and has posted some of the modifications he's made since picking it up. Thanks for stopping by and registering!
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome. The 226 is supposed to be a faster hull then my comfy 220 ride. I only had mine in the water 1 time. I wish it was the 425 but I'm ok. What speed did you run it too? I'm hoping to get at least 60 but not sure it will Make it there.
Congrats on your new to you boat.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Congrats and welcome.

May be a separate topic but you mentioned it doesn't have name. I know there's a ton of superstition about boat naming and having owned several I understand - which is where my question comes in.

What do you do about naming a used boat that's new to you that has never had a name? Don't want to ruin the current mojo... From all accounts she must be named and a naming ceremony performed - with refreshments of course.

I welcome all opinions.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm guilty. The kids have named the last three boats. 1st one was my 1999 ruby red Crownline 202 named " Clifford" big red boat
2nd one was my 2004 Cobalt 200 named "Kids in Tow" because they were always in tow with us. Third 2003 Cobalt 220 "Always for Sale" because I flipped a few things too buy this boat.plus I don't get to attached to anything Shi it's always for sale.
I know the ceremony deal but Sorry don't do one.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skylord226
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skylord226 »

Well Big Block, I got her on the lake and opened her up...man that 496 makes her jump out of the hole like she was stung by a bee! I saw 70 on the speedo but couldn't believe it so I got out my gps and verified 67 mph, this was at 5000 rpm trimmed out. She is a sleeper for sure....I can't wait to install the Captains Call, won't be much of a sleeper when shes sitting there rumbling with that open exhaust. New to me I will be finding some bugs...saw it running hot a couple days later and the engine protection kicked in and shut her down. I pulled the impeller and found a big chunk missing out of one of the vanes. Fixed that and that problem is no more....however, after running a few hours after my repair she left me stranded, no spark!! By all the troubleshooting done I'm thinking its the Crank sensor. It's a common failure issue and its never been changed in its 16 years...I think the overheat cooked it. I'll change it out this afternoon and see if I'm right!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wow that's crazy. I know I won't get near that. Do you have the 375 or 425? What gear ratio and props. When I was in the boat by myself it was on plane in a second but with two adults in the back a bit slower.But I'm still playing with it. Did you find the chunk of impeller? When was it changed last. Mine was two years ago and only 10 hours so I'm debating run it fit the year our change it?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Just my opinion - Change it.

Lots of discussion on boating forums about Impellers varying from "never changed it" to "always change it".

I change mine out every other year simply for piece of mind.

Again, just my two cents.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Skylord226
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skylord226 »

Always change it....beginning of every season...not the end. You don't want them sitting smooshed all winter long. I have no idea what my gear ratio is...I have the425hp 496 sitting back there..8.1 GXI-A. I probably won't see that very often cause it hit the rev limiter and I want to enjoy my boat without putting a new engine in there lol! Truth be told the tach read about 5200 and redline is 5 so I was really pushing her hard. That and fuel is expensive...she is a thirsty one when you push her....
Skylord226
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Skylord226 »

Oh, and it turns out I was right....bad crank sensor. Went down to Napa and got one for a regular ol chevy 8.1 litre for 67 bucks and she runs like a champ. LOL Volvo Penta wants $221.00 for one, greedy bastards.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's cool. Glad that's all it was. Do you have the impeller part number or the kit you used?
Liquid - point well taken. I need to burn this had up so I'm going to run it a bit. It cruises 40-45 very nice though. We will have to talk MattzKatz to step up to the bb plate.lol he was faster than my old boat so I had to step up this year.
Thanks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
mattzkatz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by mattzkatz »

I'm faster than your current boat too! 8-)
2000 226
350MAG
bravo 3
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes when it's on the trailer behind your truck that just going over 55mph. :mrgreen:
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well she ran 56.59 today 4400rpms .so that is past the half way mark so call it 57 lol. I'll need every mph to keep Matt of my back.
I think I might try some hill Marine 4 blade props to get some more punch to her. I was hoping for over 60 when I bought this boat. So we will see. I'll push it when I'm by myself to see what she will do. I have a few spare hundred rpms to get. 4600 is redline. If I can't get speed I'll get punch. It had real old gas so I added some fuel additive and burned up almost the last half of tank of gas. Good for top off now.Ran to get lunch on the other side of the lake. 17 miles one way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well I had 1/3 tank of gas 3 adults one kid and to my surprise and this is the first boat I've owned up to 50 the Speedo is dead on. At 55 I was running 57 gps. It was reading lower nut higher, kind of odd. Kind of disappointed. 4400 rpms so 200 more to go. I'll play with it when I'm by myself. I'm watching for a set of hill Marine props for it. Or I'll be watching for the gxi or mag in a boat. I really expected mid 60's
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!