Buying a new Cobalt boat sticky thread

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Buying a new Cobalt boat sticky thread

Post by jhnmdahl »

Tuscany, Aslan, and others have contributed much to the collective wisdom of the forum on how to buy a new (or pick a used) Cobalt, so I thought I'd start a generic "sticky" thread summarizing the advice given.

In a nutshell, the process that seems to work well for most people is to make a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves, and then break those up into easy to add or not easy to add; narrow the boats under consideration to those that have your must haves that aren't easy to add, and weight the rest based on the price and condition of the boat.

Some things like bigger engine are cost-prohibitive to change out, while others like carpet vs. seagrass or adding fender clips aren't a huge deal. Adding a wakeboard arch or bimini is somewhere in between, as is adding a chartplotter, windlass, and many other such accessories.

Bigblock in particular is fond of saying nobody ever wishes they'd bought a smaller engine, but duo-prop outdrives should also be given serious consideration for those planning towing sports like tubing or wakeboarding for their superior bite into the water.

Have fun,

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Buying a new Cobalt boat sticky thread

Post by Tuscany »

I can start.
So many different boating interests and directions.
BB loves watersports with the family. AsLan7 the same, but two totally different boats.
YT and others own a lake house, and enjoy partying on a cove in the company of others on a hot summer day.
Myself, we like to cruise non stop, and go from one stop to the next.
Some boat near a calm lake, others like A7 and I boat on Lake Erie, which can change conditions by the minute. One minute a mill pond..in a few hours, its the Bering sea.
So, those considering placing an order, the option list can be a little overwhelming. What is need, and what is luxury.

Before anything else, the point I would like to make is not power or options, but hull size. Visiting a boat show was the most informative part for us. I highly suggest attending a large show where the Cobalt factory attends with their incredible display.

After building various R5 configurations, we found out by actually seeing both side by side that the R7 was our boat. Room to move about and entertain others was most important, along with the size to handle Lake Erie combined with the ease of trailering. Room and storage space are something that you can not add in the future.

Options? Well like BB, I think power is number 1 after hull size.
After that...Watersports? Cruising? Entertaining? Just how far does one want to open their wallet? Pick an interest, and we will certainly help spend your money...
Consider that this purchase usually remains with your family for a lot of years.
Get what you want, and don't skimp out on options that you would like just to save a few bucks.
I'm sure others will follow up with their must haves.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I've been meaning to post in this thread when things slowed down a bit. I guess now is the time since I have a small window.

You guys hit the nail square on the head, J & T. I'll piggyback on those thoughts with a few of our own....

Research and prioritize how & where your boat will be used.
List the necessary options needed to accomplish your boat's primary purpose (water-sports, cruising, big vs small water, fishing, etc).
Cobalt's are known for quality craftsmanship; no structural wood which can rot; not being under-powered; and deeper vee hulls allowing for nicer rides in rough water. Because of this, they are priced higher than the competition. I never mind paying for quality. (the key is finding the line between paying for quality VS. paying excessively for little benefit). In the long run, the above combination allows for Cobalt boats to hold their value better than most other manufacturer's when it comes time to trade in or sell. And if you know how and where you want to use your new precious addition, which is now properly equipped, you will be quite satisfied for many years to come. (Reference mnlakebum's Cobalt Lake House setup as a prime example of quality coupled with a perfect combination of how & where) :P

Reach out to various dealers, boat owner's, chat forums, & boat show reps to ask questions.
This will certainly pay dividends as others can give you their real world experiences many times without bias. Most folks will tell you the positives and why you need this Cobalt. My favorite question to ask though is, "tell me the negatives and what you would change." EVERY boat has positives and negatives. (Reference Tuscany's..Big Block upgrade-thumbs up...Garbage Can-thumbs down thread) :lol: Make sure you can live with both. 🤔 We personally find the Cobalt brand positives far outweigh the negatives.

Remember the extras.
Boat options can add up quickly. :shock: Will you use them? Will the option or the color make the boat look outdated after a few years? Can you add the option(s) later? Normally you can unless they're Cobalt specific & over 10 years old (ie transom cushions) or structural in nature. Don't forget other unforeseen costs such as a trailer, transport, financing, insurance, storage-both summer and winter, registration, coast guard requirements for safety, marina fees, tool kits, anchors, life jackets, inflatables, tow ropes, etc. Cobalts are known for having great storage space but make sure you have room for everything and can afford the hidden costs so to speak. We fill up our Cobalt with not only extra gear, but also with extra people. Thus we opted for a yacht certified model. We also like trim tabs to balance the ride with a deeper vee hull and possibly lots of folks on one side of the boat. The most powerful engine coupled with a duo-prop drive for hole shot was nonnegotiable so we would never have to wish for more power.

Resist the urge to settle just for convenience when you're ready to purchase.
You are spending a LOT of money. 💰💰💰 For that amount of money you should be able to get 90% of what you want in a boat (or anything for that matter). Just because it's local down the street and has 50% of your desires, don't bite. That's when buyers remorse can set in afterward. We searched all over the country for exactly what we wanted in a used Cobalt. In fact, what's popular in some areas may be very unpopular in others. We bought our cuddy in Las Vegas. They have a hard time selling runabout cuddy's in Nevada because they can become like ovens in the 110 degree heat. Cuddy's are popular in the unpredictable PA weather and shipping is not that expensive...especially when going from west to east as transport companies are always looking for ways to get back to the east coast. Why pay a premium in one location when you can save thousands in another. (Btw, we purchase our cars much the same way).
With that being said, when buying new, Cobalt dealers will not compete against each other. You may be forced to purchase in your local region. Keep this in mind.

Relationships go a long way. The boating industry can be a small, select world. Drop by your local marina, Cobalt dealership or service center. Bring them bagels, donuts, hoagies, coffee, etc. You want to start off on the right foot. A little investment into your relationships will pay off in the long (or short) run when you need advice or help. Don't go it alone. We raise honeybees and give away honey to our marine techs, marina owners, dock-mates, friends, etc. Maybe it's the Dale Carnegie influence in me but I have never regretted it. It certainly paid off big time when we had to do a complete engine pull last year. BigBlockPower is the master at relationships. Seems like he knows everyone in the industry and can certainly work wonders in finding hard to find parts. Feel free to PM him with questions and be sure to bring your translator. Cheers to the jus master. 🍻

Reeducate yourself. After you have done a sea trial and (if used) had a survey accomplished, take a local boating class or CG approved course. Read you local waterway rules so you know the regs. You hate to buy Captain's call exhaust and then get fined the first day you used it in front of the Coast Guard because it's illegal in your state. Read your owner's manual.-- "Oh, I can't put the hatch up with the ski pylon in? Whew, that could have done some damage". :( You are the Captain of your vessel. You have a lot of responsibility on the water when you take folks out. They are entrusting you with their lives. Know your local weather patterns, where the reefs are, sandbars, tide characteristics, ramp procedures, etc. You don't want to be that guy yelling at everyone because of your unpreparedness. You want to pass this craft on to others and the first way to turn folks off is to give them a negative impression of boating. When you pull in with a Cobalt, people WILL take notice. You want to portray yourself in the same way as the Cobalt reputation; with quality, class, elegance and grace... oozing with horsepower. :mrgreen:

Finally, request that your friends & family join you on your sexy new Cobalt for what will be memories that will last a lifetime. 8-) ....and be sure to post your pics here on the forum. We loce them here. :D :D :D Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
TinCupp
Commander
Commander

Post by TinCupp »

Well put! I’d tack one on from my experience. Don’t be afraid to go outside your region and have a boat transported. I saved some cash and got the boat I wanted by paying a bit to have a service haul the boat for me. The Cobalt I was after was nowhere to be found in my area.
2004 226
496 Mag HO
Lake Minnetonka, MN
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

TinCupp wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 am Well put! I’d tack one on from my experience. Don’t be afraid to go outside your region and have a boat transported. I saved some cash and got the boat I wanted by paying a bit to have a service haul the boat for me. The Cobalt I was after was nowhere to be found in my area.
Agree with this. I bought our Marker One sight unseen from a Cobalt dealer in Iowa and had it transported 440 miles north to a dealer near our lake home. At the time we were living in California and our Minnesota lake home was under construction(no dock or lift) so I had the dealer store it and drop it in the water a few times while we were vacationing at the lake that first summer. I saved about $45k over new by buying one that was a year old with 32 hours on the engine and paying the dealer $1000 to ship it.

Don’t skimp on features you will use a lot. My dealer talked me into adding the electric power arch and I’m damn glad he did because I use it each time I pull our R5 into the lift which can be several times a day.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

MnLakeBum wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:48 am
TinCupp wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 am Well put! I’d tack one on from my experience. Don’t be afraid to go outside your region and have a boat transported. I saved some cash and got the boat I wanted by paying a bit to have a service haul the boat for me. The Cobalt I was after was nowhere to be found in my area.
Agree with this. I bought our Marker One sight unseen from a Cobalt dealer in Iowa and had it transported 440 miles north to a dealer near our lake home. At the time we were living in California and our Minnesota lake home was under construction(no dock or lift) so I had the dealer store it and drop it in the water a few times while we were vacationing at the lake that first summer. I saved about $45k over new by buying one that was a year old with 32 hours on the engine and paying the dealer $1000 to ship it.

Don’t skimp on features you will use a lot. My dealer talked me into adding the electric power arch and I’m damn glad he did because I use it each time I pull our R5 into the lift which can be several times a day.

I would agree with this as well. While I did buy my R7 from my local dealer. I had worked a deal on a slightly used 18 out of state and used it as a bargaining chip to get my local dealer down to the price I thought was fair.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake