Ladder Upgrade on 220

matt169
Ensign
Ensign

Ladder Upgrade on 220

Post by matt169 »

I recently purchased a 2006 220 and like everything about the boat except for the ladder. With only 2 steps and the awkward side mount, it is not easy to climb. I have looked for the OEM ladder manufacture name but not having any luck. Does anyone know who made this ladder fro Cobalt? I would like to get a three step version to replace the OEM two step model.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Ladder Upgrade on 220

Post by jhnmdahl »

I don't know who the OEM manufacturer was (they do use other manufacturers close to Kansas when they can), but these people have a pretty broad selection - I wonder if something they make might work?

http://www.garelick.com/Boarding-Ladders

Edit: yep, they are a pretty good bet. See http://garelick.com/oem.php
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Do you have a swim platform? We never pull the ladder out? The platform sits right at the water level.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Just looked on mine and no name on it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Call cobalt with your hull ID number they have a blue print of all the factory parts on the initial build. They can tell you which brand was put on it.
matt169
Ensign
Ensign

Post by matt169 »

Thanks everyone for the great info. I called Cobalt and spoke with someone that was very helpful. I had called them once before trying to find a bimini cover and got the "boat is over 7 years old, sorry" line. This time he pulled up my model and compared the CAD drawing to the current ladder. The OEM was Custom Stainless who is just what their name says. No website and not mass produced products. The Cobalt guy did tell me the newer ladder would work but runs around 700.
So, I plan to call Garelick as Cobalt said that is who they are using for some ladders currently. My second option is to lose some lbs. and do more push-ups so i can just hop up on the swim platform and not worry with the ladder.
Thanks again for the info.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

See I wonder if they would sell you that ladder that is for a different boat. They wouldn't sell a platform that belong on a different boat?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I'm really unclear on this whole "7 year" rule. Can someone give the Cliff notes on the thought process and how it affects me?
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Liquid, my boat is new so I haven't run into this problem, but apparently Cobalt doesn't stock and won't sell you parts for boats that are over 7 years old. Even if the model is unchanged, they reserve the parts they do have for hulls with serial numbers that are 7 years or less. Not sure it's a genius move on their part, but at least they pick up the phone and do what they can to point you to the original manufacturer, etc.

John
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Correct.there customer service is great. I won't argue that point. Let's say I back up into a dock to fast and damage my swim platform past the point of repair and needs to be replaced. Because my boat is older than 7 years they won't build or sell me that platform. I'm ok with that part as it's not made anymore. The issue is the rear of the hull is very close if not the same on a 2016 210 or a 220' so they make the flip down step platform that would fit. But because it doesn't match my hull id they won't sell it to me. Because all parts for there boats follow the hull id's. Even if I want to upgrade to a flip down step platform I can't. To me it makes no sense, if I have a part number for something and you are currently making it and using it why wouldn't you sell it to me? I really have a huge issue with this. So far it wasn't me that this had effected but one of my friends is having this issue. And I even worked with the #1 rated csi boat dealer in the country. They were very good but just couldn't get it done for us. They tried.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's absurd.

Cobalt customer service has been phenomenal for me, I'm on a first name basis with Rick for christ sake.

Boats break - we drive things fast around in the water that were never meant to be near water. We bump into docks etc... Now i love me a good hunt for a part but if you've ever worked in sales then you know not selling something you have is just bad business.

Doesn't seem to be affecting their business model so it doesn't sound like it'll change anytime soon.

John - maybe we should add a specific "help me find this part" thread... or something to that effect.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Liquid, that's not a bad idea. Maybe a subforum somewhere so one thread doesn't get jumbled up. I'll look into it,

John
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I'm good for a decent thought every now and again... just don't get used to it.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
wfbacker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by wfbacker »

matt169 wrote:My second option is to lose some lbs. and do more push-ups so i can just hop up on the swim platform and not worry with the ladder.
Thanks again for the info.
I use my knee on the lower step and then climb up.
doubledinn69
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doubledinn69 »

Has anyone replaced their two step telescoping side ladder. I just bought a 2006 220 and mine gets stuck and hard to pull out. I've tried silicone spray, etc...and it helps for a little while but then becomes difficult again. I've thought about making a plate to bolt a more traditional ladder with parallel telescoping sides on each side of the step but one of the rub rail brackets is in the way.

Looking to install something like this. Anyone do this and can explain or post pictures of what they did?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=6