Waterski Tow Rope and Harness

Richty3
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Waterski Tow Rope and Harness

Post by Richty3 »

I just bought a 2019 23SC with Bimini Tower but have read not to pull skiers and tubers from the pylon on the tower. The dealership quoted me $1600 to install tow pylon. Are people buying harnesses to go to back cleats for tubers and skiers? I don’t want to damage my boat or scratch it up from the metal clips.

Any recommendations on equipment used is appreciated very much.

Thx,
Rich
Rich T
2019 23 SC
300 HP Mercury Verado
Highland Beach, FL
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Re: Waterski Tow Rope and Harness

Post by Norris_Boating »

I am not 100% sure on the 23SC but on the R series you are not supposed to pull tubers from the pylon tower.
Skiers/wakeboard etc is fine. Tubers create too much drag. Anything else should be fine.

As for the price, again tubers create a lot of drag and it isn't going to be an easy install, make sure there is a warranty for it.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Waterski Tow Rope and Harness

Post by AsLan7 »

Richty3 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 am I just bought a 2019 23SC with Bimini Tower but have read not to pull skiers and tubers from the pylon on the tower. The dealership quoted me $1600 to install tow pylon. Are people buying harnesses to go to back cleats for tubers and skiers? I don’t want to damage my boat or scratch it up from the metal clips.

Any recommendations on equipment used is appreciated very much.

Thx,
Rich
Hey R3.

In the old days they used to use a bridle harness fastened to the "D" rings on the transom. These rings are reinforced and normally used to hold the boat to the trailer with tie downs during towing. The question for you is can you fasten a bridle without getting it tangled in a swim platform or ladder. :?:

Definitely do not use the tower for tow operations if your owner's manual says not to. Normally there is also a warning sticker which will state this as well. However, if the tower is reinforced, it will allow skiers, knee-boarders, and wake-boarders to be pulled from it. Tubes can submarine creating a sudden and incredible amount of stress resulting in possible tower or fiberglass failure. This was discussed some in this thread.

Any pics?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)