1996 232 454 Merc carb issues

Bravodrive
Ensign
Ensign

1996 232 454 Merc carb issues

Post by Bravodrive »

When cold starting the 454 it takes forever and you’ll think your going to flood it to all hell......after that, starts and runs fine all day. All stock engine components and have had carb rebuilt, same issue. I do not like Quadra jet carbs, my question is, thoughts on swapping a Holley on this set up?
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 1996 232 454 Merc carb issues

Post by Big Block Power »

Whats a carb?

Sorry I have not looked into anything but I would convert it to fuel injection. That I can work on. I'm not old enough like Matt to ever work on what did you call it a Carb? 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Yes the Holley spreadbore is a great option but even a Holley sitting weeks can get a low fuel bowl level. And accelerator diaphragm goes dry too.

But the fact you just rebuilt your Q Jet let’s see if you can’t make it work. We may have to pull and do one more procedure.

The biggest issue with the Qjet ( even your late model) was the cast fuel transfer underneath at the base plate.
As this was crossed drilled and then plugged by a cap they seep and leak slightly. Then your cranking the engine to refill the level before your acelerator pump and transfer tubes pick up fuel.

So sure the trick is to do 2-3 five second engine cranks... “push neutral on the shifter”to disengage the drive but pump the throttle 3 times. ( this resets the choke and will get fuel in.)

Epoxy the silver cap plug underneath the carb and this will reduce the hard start.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

See. The great advice from the elder on here. Lol
What you are Experiencing is the fuel is leaking out of your float bowl so you have to get it refilled befits age will start. Have you watched you come to make sure it's closing? Qjet is a good carb. Easy to set up and pretty reliable.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey BD. Thanks for coming out of the woodwork with that question.
The only advice I’d give is once I went fuel injected (coming from a carbureted Donzi), there was no looking back. It’s the cars meow.

Any pics of your set up?

Again welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

I've owned many carb'd boats and every single one, regardless of brand/type of carb, takes a few pumps of the throttle and a few seconds of cranking when it's been sitting a few days or more. Once it's warmed up it should fire off on a tap of the key, if this is what you're experiencing then don't worry about it, totally normal.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

I also have a carb'd 454 (but it is a VP). I have the Holley and it also has this issue. I have learned that I HAVE to pump the throttle a little if it has been sitting more than a few days. If it has been a few weeks I pump it and leave the throttle open about half way until it starts then pull it back. I've been dealing with some issues where the boat is running super rich so I had the carb rebuilt at the end of the season. It is at my mechanics now so he can check everything on the other side of things while it is winterized. I'm hoping to get it back with everything back to normal. I've looked at the kits to switch to TBI or MPI, but I just don't think they make sense at this point. There is really no way to get an oxygen sensor in a wet exhaust on my setup, so I would still need to have things professionally tuned, and even then I don't think there would be any real performance gains to FI over the carb. When my boat runs like it should it will jump on plane, or snap your head back when you wack it. I'm hoping it's as simple as a few parts (coil, cap and rotor, plug wires and plugs) to get me back to that point.
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
Bravodrive
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bravodrive »

So very sorry, I’ve been away. Thanks for the advice, I will address the tube and report back....no EFI for me...🤠
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bravodrive wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:28 pm So very sorry, I’ve been away. Thanks for the advice, I will address the tube and report back....no EFI for me...🤠
It only took you 2 weeks to reply. Heck most never reply. So thanks for getting back we look forward to your reply when ever that is.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Bravodrive wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:28 pm So very sorry, I’ve been away. Thanks for the advice, I will address the tube and report back....no EFI for me...🤠
Just to give you a visual underneath. One you seperate the base plate. Scuff the aluminum plugs and tube with scotch bright.
9BAB5E73-015D-4BBB-95F2-EBE0BA34D2BA.jpeg
EDE9C387-F425-40B6-9E5B-6C862F6F3EC6.jpeg
Then use this to coat the area. It doesn’t need to be pretty. You can use the fuel tank epoxy but with heat i would use this as it’s less likely to fall off and act like a little debris falling in the engine.
B10D2E88-43C1-41B1-AA4D-0FA86E1C2C83.jpeg
This will decrees the drippings as it sits and you have just normal evaporated fuel levels when stored.
Keep us posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I just filled this 4 round looking things. I got great mileage but my wot sure took a hit 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!