262 Steering Issues

(190 through 360)
jsdittmer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

262 Steering Issues

Post by jsdittmer »

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a steering problem with my 2003 262. It's actually been there since I purchased the boat in November 2018. I've actually had a couple service shops look at it to no avail. I am hoping someone on here can help provide some insight to me, as I would rather not go into another season with this.

Problem is somewhat simple to describe. The steering motion is not smooth in scenarios of assertive steering, being under load, etc. Hitches and stutters, almost to a complete stop at times feeling unsafe if an urgent steering move was needed. Feels like the pump or something is not keeping up with the demand. It is also worse turning left than it is right for some reason, but both directions have the issue. Once on plane and trimmed out it's decent while cruising so it's drivable. I have not even tried water sports with the boat yet (last season at the Lake of the Ozarks was a bit rough with all the debris in the lake...of which I have sad prop stories about :cry: ), but I doubt water sports would even work.

I don't have a picture, but there is a capped hose, I believe off of the pump right it front of the engine (Volvo 8.1L Gi) a couple inches long. One of the boat techs noticed it and made a comment that it seemed odd to him.

I hope this is the right part of the forum to ask this question. I had the opportunity to meet many of you at the Cobalt factory tour and know how knowledgeable and helpful you all are. I was trying to give the local service shops here a shot first, but just not getting anywhere with this particular issue.

I appreciate any help and ideas you may have with this. Stay safe in these crazy times!
2009 Cobalt 302
White with Ebony Stripe and SS Arch
Twin Merc 350 Mags (600 HP) Bravo 3
Kansas City, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 262 Steering Issues

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes is it capped right at the pump. If so normal. What did the shops do to it already? Does the drives swing side to side easy if you do it manually from the outside at the drive. Just making sure it isn't what's binding?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I’m thinking since left is harder than right the valve that diverts pressure is not working. It’s senses input from the driver and creates the hydraulic pressure.
The power steering pump doesn’t care about left and right.
These aren’t like mercs as we’ve discussed so your going to have start shopping for a unit.
Link but you’ll need your serial number and it combo. ( 8.1 Gi-D / Dp-sm 1.78). Your marina should be able to find a reman unit.

https://leadersrpmshop.com/volvo-penta- ... j8EALw_wcB

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
jsdittmer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jsdittmer »

Thanks guys!! I think the shop was talking about the valves related to this, and I know tried to adjust something I think related to them. They actually believed they had it fixed at one time, but I didn't notice any improvements. I will share this information with them.

Thanks again!
2009 Cobalt 302
Kansas City, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
jsdittmer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jsdittmer »

I should ask. Are there two of these valves, one for each side? It does it in both directions, just noticeably worse to the left.

Thanks,
2009 Cobalt 302
Kansas City, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I agree with Matt. I notice some goofy things with mine and it no where as bad as yours. I think I have a pump issue it likes to whine now and then and loose some pwr steering assit sometimes but that's only happened in the driveway. But the goofy feeling I get I think is the rack assembly also but it's no where bad enough to replace it. If I owned yours I think that's what I would be trying first. I just wanted to make sure your gimbal bushings were not binding. And it doesn't sound like a cable.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jsdittmer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jsdittmer »

Thanks BBP. I know they checked the cable and the gimbal bearing was just replaced before I bought her, so I think that's ok. It does move pretty freely outside at the drive. But, it is just not right when driving it. There seems to be a lot of comments that "all boats just have their own steering characteristics", but this is more than just a slight nuisance. The boat overall to so awesome, it just needs that part fixed.

On a side note, the boat does also tilt a bit to the right. Again, many say that some boats just ride that way, so maybe it is what it is. Mine is highly equipped, but no tabs to help with that. The shop said they felt it was the weight of the subwoofer cabinet within the driver side storage, which is somewhat heavy, but doesn't seem it would be that impactful to me. A small thing, so maybe no big deal but thought I would throw that out.

Thanks again guys!
2009 Cobalt 302
Kansas City, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I don't remember YT's boat listing at all and I'm sure A7s didn't either. But I do remember 1 other member complaining about that.
I had a sub in a box on one side and I could instantly tell it was in the boat. I removed it.
Again I think I would change it the rack. Sounds most logical.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Cruiser64
Commander
Commander

Post by Cruiser64 »

I have a 04 with the 8.1 and have steering issues but I'm positive mine is the pump leaking and a new pump is in my future. I could be wrong I'll be looking into the rack you're referring to before I start replacing anything now. Thanks and let us know what you find out.
Cruiser
2004 262 w/8.1 GXi
TommyTahoe
Commander
Commander

Post by TommyTahoe »

Agree with Cruiser64 above. I had a rack issue on my 226 a couple of years ago. The bolt on one side had loosened up and made the steering difficult- felt like it was binding. The rack I'm referring to is under the steering wheel in the helm.
'01 226 5.7GXI
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Why is everyone ruling out the cable? This sounds like a typical old cable that needs replacing. Mine was like that when I bought it, even the steering wheel was loose because the rack under the helm was worn out. All single engine, single prop I/Os are harder to turn left than right, due to the rotational mass of the prop, which is why twins use counter rotating props and a big benefit to duo-props. I don;t see what drive you have, but if it's a single prop I would put a new steering cable in and be happy.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:28 am Why is everyone ruling out the cable? This sounds like a typical old cable that needs replacing. Mine was like that when I bought it, even the steering wheel was loose because the rack under the helm was worn out. All single engine, single prop I/Os are harder to turn left than right, due to the rotational mass of the prop, which is why twins use counter rotating props and a big benefit to duo-props. I don;t see what drive you have, but if it's a single prop I would put a new steering cable in and be happy.
We were getting to it. Man. Now I think the only thing we left out was the Wheel itself. I think that should be the new starting spot. Hope this helps.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jsdittmer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jsdittmer »

Thanks again for all the input and help, but this is now solved.

Turns out this past week the steering really got bad and started leaking power steering fluid, which was a good thing to identify the issue. It was one of the seals on the power steering assist actuator, which was the entire problem and one of the original suggestions in this thread. Turns out a shop tech suspected this, but since there was no direct failure indication so he didn’t want to swap it out for that kind of money and be wrong (well this is what the boss said). It was a bit frustrating to keep bringing it back with no action taken, nor really any acknowledgement of the problem with options. This past week it turned into more of an emergency.

Good news is that they replaced it and it steers perfectly like it should. So nice!
2009 Cobalt 302
Kansas City, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Hey, at least you’re back in business!
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Howie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Howie »

I have a similar issue with my 2001 206....but not quite as bad.
There is a little slop off center and then it binds and then let’s loose and is smooth after that. No leaks. Marine mechanic says “normal wear and tear” and no reason to fix it yet unless it bothers me (it does).
The estimate was $1000 for the part (the one in cmattj’s attachment above) and another 500 for labor. No talk of a rebuild. I would tackle the cable myself but the actuator is too much for me. It would be nice to somehow know which problem I have.