Wax and Polish

kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Wax and Polish

Post by kas232ca »

Sorry in advance as I am sure this has been discussed. I searched the forums, but now I'm even more confused.

My son and his girlfriend are currently working from home but have decided to go to the Lake Havasu house to work from there next week.

I gave them the OK as long as they wax the boat. The boat has some very light oxidation on a couple of blue areas of the gelcoat and the white gelcoat isn't too shiny behind the sunpad where I assume the sun hit it when it was stored on a lift. The warning stickers are also in bad condition back there and need to be removed.

A few weeks ago we tried using 3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Light Cutting Polish + Wax. It did make the surface smoother on a couple of test areas, however, it's not leaving the 'mirror finish' like the rest of the boat. What should he use next?

Thanks
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Wax and Polish

Post by ajcampen »

R u doing by hand or a machine? This productA helped me. But you might need something stronger mnlakebum is the expert. Search his post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

Sounds like you need a polisher. Use the perfect-it polish but with a machine and wool pads or heavy cutting microfiber pads. I like to hit it with a top layer of Megs Flagship Marine Wax by hand as well.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Yeah, was using a polisher. Already have some different pads to try. If the 3M products have wax in them, why add more?
Lake Havasu, AZ
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

kas232ca wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:03 pm Yeah, was using a polisher. Already have some different pads to try. If the 3M products have wax in them, why add more?
Did you try using wool pads? 🤔
That works wonders with the 3M product above. Foam and microfiber pads did not work on the heavier oxidation for us.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

3M's Perfect-It Light should leave a shiny finish. If it's clearly oxidized and not just less shiny, I might start with medium and then move to light. Aslan is right about wool pads working better with these than foam, as you're trying to be more aggressive and carry more compound than you would be polishing the clearcoat on your car, for example. Something like this would be ideal:

https://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/3 ... 33289.html

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

Wool is king on gelcoat. I don't have any heavy oxidation, or barely any minor oxidation at all. So I like the heavy cut microfiber pads. They work, but not as well as wool. Foam pads don't do much. I have only ever used the Rupes blue foam pads on gelcoat. They worked, but took a lot of passes.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:59 am
kas232ca wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:03 pm Yeah, was using a polisher. Already have some different pads to try. If the 3M products have wax in them, why add more?
Did you try using wool pads? 🤔
That works wonders with the 3M product above. Foam and microfiber pads did not work on the heavier oxidation for us.

Only tried foam. Will try wool and report back.

Thanks
Lake Havasu, AZ
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:42 am 3M's Perfect-It Light should leave a shiny finish. If it's clearly oxidized and not just less shiny, I might start with medium and then move to light. Aslan is right about wool pads working better with these than foam, as you're trying to be more aggressive and carry more compound than you would be polishing the clearcoat on your car, for example. Something like this would be ideal:

https://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/3 ... 33289.html

John
Thanks for the link!
Lake Havasu, AZ
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

JTinMO wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:04 pm Wool is king on gelcoat. I don't have any heavy oxidation, or barely any minor oxidation at all. So I like the heavy cut microfiber pads. They work, but not as well as wool. Foam pads don't do much. I have only ever used the Rupes blue foam pads on gelcoat. They worked, but took a lot of passes.
Wool sounds like the plan then.

Thanks
Lake Havasu, AZ