What We Can Learn From This Accident?

TechieTechie
Commander
Commander

Re: What We Can Learn From This Accident?

Post by TechieTechie »

Thank you for bumping up this thread. If we can learn from past tragedies, hopefully we can prevent future ones. From advice I received on a fishing forum, since I often boat alone in cold water, I am outfitted with:

1. EPIRB (sends distress signal to Coast Guard when it hits the water)
2. PLB (personal locator beacon, again sends distress signal, when it hits the water)
3. Marine Radio/VHF
4. Floating ditch bag including neoprene suit, booties, fins, snorkle, first aid kit, water, and backup VHF (handheld)

Kate, I do agree with you that the boater made mistakes. We all do. But, IMHO, I don't think calling them names is helping anyone learn here.

Bottom line is that it seems as though they were sorely underprepared. May we all learn from this. I need to remember to check forecasts not only in the morning, but right before I leave the dock (I usually do the former, I don't always do the latter).
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

TechieTechie wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:44 pm Kate, I do agree with you that the boater made mistakes. We all do. But, IMHO, I don't think calling them names is helping anyone learn here.
And I don't think that whitewashing a vice helps anyone learn anything.

"Fool": "a person lacking in judgment or prudence"

A "mistake" is forgetting to raise the outdrive. Going out ignorant and unprepared in those conditions is (criminal) negligence -- negligence that killed innocent people. If that doesn't make him a "fool," then the word has no meaning.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

yeah buddy, there was a live feed from a cargo ship yesterday showing 20+ footers on Superior.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I’m always amazed how truly of an ocean these Lakes are. I read about south lake flooding as result of the storm. Wild!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:03 pm I’m always amazed how truly of an ocean these Lakes are. Wild!
So true buddy...

"those grand freshwater seas of ours, possess an ocean like expansiveness, with many of the ocean's noblest traits."

Herman Melville

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

FB_IMG_1509242643525.jpg
From 2017 on lake Michigan. Earlier in the day, spray from the waves were clearing the top of the two story building on the far right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 r5
2003 220
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

My brief Memorial Day outing - what I could have done differently.

I had my impeller changed two months ago... (many of you will know where this is going already). :)

I had a late start to the season this year due to cooler temps and some personal issues (ongoing 2 yr custody battle). So, yesterday was the big day - time to splash my '13 232 for 2020. She's all shined up and everything is in perfect order. We put her in early, started up as normal and I back away from the ramp and wait for the GF to come down for a pick up. Note I skipped my preliminary engine check while letting the engine get warmed up a tad. We head out at idle for about 5 minutes. As I throttle up, the Merc alarm sounds - I throttled back and note it was the water pressure. Figuring it may be an air pocket with the new impeller, I cut off the motor, and re-started after a wait. We throttled up again and the alarm sounds again. At this point I opened the hatch to see about 14" of clean water in the bilge. Oh sh!t! I turned on the bilge pump and made sure it was pumping (it was). It may have already been on, but I was going off of instinct and protocol. I could see water being pumped into the bilge from the front starboard side of the engine, and figured the mechanic forgot to tighten a hose. After a short but firm statement of finely chosen words directed towards my mechanic, I headed back to the ramp - about 10+ minutes at idle (alarm intermittently goin off as expected). I check to see if the bilge pump is keeping up, and it is (but just barely). I make my way to the ramp and get the boat on the trailer. Once home, and after a cool down period (me and the engine), I take a snake cam and ID the issue - the water pump hose is not connected and the loose clamp is still present. I try to address the issue, but need another 12 inches in arm length. I'll let the mechanic fix his mistake (note I sent him a pic...).

Hindsight, I skipped my normal peek under the hatch after start-up. I would have easily caught the water gushing in. Also in hind sight, I could have cut the engine (no water being pumped in) and been towed, but I didn't want to be that guy. It's a Cobalt after all. :) Also, I forgot I have a large manual pump. I didn't need it, but certainly could have.

Two lessons here: 1) seasonally check to make sure your bilge pump is operating in both automatic and manual mode; 2) take a peek under the hatch upon first start up.

I may take the skis to the lake Monday. The 232 will have to wait for the mechanic.

Stay safe out there!
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yep suck 2burgers. I just don't get it why after maint or winterize that they leave the hoses off or they don't close the quick drain. Just simply floors me. Hopefully you don't have rubber chunks floating around in the engine and he just has to change the new impeller. But a wasted holiday weekend for you. Sucks. Yep and Easily avoided
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

sailor55330 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:31 pm I may get shot for this, but here it goes...Cobalts are great boats, but they are not designed for 6/8/10ft waves.
Our boats are great, but you have to respect Mama N on this one.
Now reading this post...
I have taken a snippet of the quote from sailor55330 above, and could not agree more. I use my 232 on a relatively small lake in VA. Lake Anna is large for Virginia, but is tiny when compared to the Great Lakes, etc. Anyway, I posted a few years back that I took a wave over my bow during a strong "white out" storm. It both caught me off-guard and scared me as well. I'm a life-long boater, but surprises are just that. So yes, our Cobalt's are fine boats, but in rough seas and questionable weather, best to be on land.
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags