Slippery decking on 2019 R5

LuckyGirl
Ensign
Ensign

Slippery decking on 2019 R5

Post by LuckyGirl »

Does anyone know of the brand of decking that comes stock on Newer Cobalt R5's?

The reason I ask is that last summer we had a terrible accident on the swim platform with (generic seeming) foam decking.
Our friend stepped (completely sober, I want to add) from her boat onto our swim platform with decking and slipped, fracturing a vertebra and tearing cartilage in her knee. (I'll add that this woman is a triathlete, so pretty stable on her feet) She described it like stepping onto sheer ice. She still isn't able to run. :(

Last night, my husband did the same thing, stepping from the dock, onto the wet swim decking. Thankfully he is ok, but it could have been so bad.
He too, described the feeling of the foam decking to be like sheer ice.

My thought is that Cobalt had used some cheaper version of Seadek that isn't made for slip resistance.

Has anyone else had this experience?
(YES YES YES, boats are inherently slippery when wet. This IS NOT that.)
Does anyone have any idea how to find out what brand of decking is being used?

This is potentially a fatal flaw. If my husband had hit his head harder on the dock last night when he fell... If he had been alone...
Please help if you have any insights.
thanks much~
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Slippery decking on 2019 R5

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey LG. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

I can’t comment on the above since we prefer the factory carpet on our swim platform and boat.

Others will chime in though.

Any pics?

Again welcome aboard mateeee. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

My 2018 R5 Surf uses SeaDeck for the swim platform and it is not slippery even when wet unless you get something like shampoo, wax, or suntan lotion on it. If that has happened dish soap and a good scrub brush will take it off and make it like new again. Sorry to hear you’ve had problems with it. I need to take a very long step from the dock onto my swim platform often several times a day and only had an issue once when my daughter had spilled shampoo on it and not washed it off.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
LuckyGirl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LuckyGirl »

Thanks for your experiences. Did the seadek come stock on the boat, or did you add it? And is it a gray color, with no channels in it? thanks again!
Fin
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Fin »

We have a 2019 R5 Surf with the grey seadek material on the swim platform. Checked with my wife and neither of us recall it ever being slippery at all, we've had quite a few different people aboard and no incidents that either of us recall. I'm just speculating but wonder if lake mineral/organic material conditions may affect seadeks slip resistance. Here's a pic of the swim platform on ours.
stern swim deck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kennmore, WA - Lake Washington
2019 R5 Surf
LuckyGirl
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LuckyGirl »

Thanks for posting. Yep! It's the same as ours. So glad to hear that you're not experiencing the same slipperyness. You may be onto something with the water/mineral content...
Beautiful Boat!!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

LuckyGirl wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:59 pm Thanks for posting. Yep! It's the same as ours. So glad to hear that you're not experiencing the same slipperyness. You may be onto something with the water/mineral content...
Beautiful Boat!!
How about a pic or two LG? :?: :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

I haven’t had any issues with it on my r7 either. Seems to be slip resistant. Are you using any chemicals to clean it?
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake