Time to edit

greenhut
Captain
Captain

Time to edit

Post by greenhut »

What would you guys think about extending the time a user is allowed to edit a post? Or perhaps removing the restriction entirely?
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Time to edit

Post by akorcovelos »

Honestly, this is the only site I’ve been on that uses that functionality. I get why, if someone changes something in their post after too long the following posts don’t make sense. At the same time I’ve wanted to change typos and such.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

greenhut wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:40 am What would you guys think about extending the time a user is allowed to edit a post? Or perhaps removing the restriction entirely?
I'd like to see the edit time increased as well. Other forums allow an edit up to around two hours which I think is reasonable.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

I like posting "HowTo'" here as some of you have seen. Would be great to be able to modify the first post sometimes with current info - this would of course require removing the restriction entirely.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I'll update posts, but as others have mentioned there's value in a post being left "as is" once some time has passed.

I think Aslan's feedback makes the most sense right now - I'll look in to setting it for edits for the next few hours after a post is made. Thanks for the feedback, guys,

John

Edit - you now have three hours to edit a post, and an hour to delete it. After some point (three hours seems a good estimate), the value of a chain of comments that make sense with respect to posts above them seems to start to outweigh the value of correcting a typo, but let me know if you have other thoughts
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:01 am I'll update posts, but as others have mentioned there's value in a post being left "as is" once some time has passed.

I think Aslan's feedback makes the most sense right now - I'll look in to setting it for edits for the next few hours after a post is made. Thanks for the feedback, guys,

John

Edit - you now have three hours to edit a post, and an hour to delete it. After some point (three hours seems a good estimate), the value of a chain of comments that make sense with respect to posts above them seems to start to outweigh the value of correcting a typo, but let me know if you have other thoughts
Thanks John. I think that is a good move going forward.
However, the bigger challenge will be to get bigblockpower to even reread his post and edit it to say what he meant. :lol: :lol:

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

That's the real risk - losing all the "loce" and "pot the jus" posts that make this place the treasure trove that it is ;)
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I agree with the natural response, and limited edit.
It’s like a real conversation we have .. good or bad it’s the real deal.

Sure there’s times in life we say “geeze if I could go back and say this”
But I’m old school and like it real time.

Maybe a poll should be had before modifying a current System.
Sure either side makes sense to add creative genius to your post but it’s takes the human response out of the thread.

It still doesn’t mean change it after a poll, but you can get feel of the community.

Just my .03

#leaveitalone
#potthejus
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Honestly I’ve only needed to edit posts within seconds of posting because I have sausage fingers. John is super responsive if something locked needs to be edited (like changing my thread from 7.4 to 454 because I had a brain fart!).
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:25 pm Honestly I’ve only needed to edit posts within seconds of posting because I have sausage fingers. John is super responsive if something locked needs to be edited (like changing my thread from 7.4 to 454 because I had a brain fart!).
Oh no akor....I spent a couple of day’s making those changes for ya’. Every post title had to be changed for that one. :geek: 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:36 pm
akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:25 pm Honestly I’ve only needed to edit posts within seconds of posting because I have sausage fingers. John is super responsive if something locked needs to be edited (like changing my thread from 7.4 to 454 because I had a brain fart!).
Oh no akor....I spent a couple of day’s making those changes for ya’. Every post title had to be changed for that one. :geek: 8-)

OMG, I didn’t know that! I should have asked much sooner, lol. Either way THANK YOU for being such a great admin great 👍🏼. I do the same job on another forum and I know it can be a pain, and typically it’s a thankless job. This is by far the best forum on the internet.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:45 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:36 pm

OMG, I didn’t know that! I should have asked much sooner, lol. Either way THANK YOU for being such a great admin great 👍🏼. I do the same job on another forum and I know it can be a pain, and typically it’s a thankless job. This is by far the best forum on the internet.
Yes you hit the nail on the head akor...it’s a team effort for sure. Everyone here contributes something... from coding, to expertise, to mechanical knowledge, to diagrams, to manuals, to fabricating, to pictures, to humor, to camaraderie building each other up on a family friendly site ...Yes it makes an enormous impact differentiating us from other specialized boating forums.
It’s the least I can do to give back to others here. 👍🏻

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am
jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:01 am I'll update posts, but as others have mentioned there's value in a post being left "as is" once some time has passed.

John

Thanks John. I think that is a good move going forward.
However, the bigger challenge will be to get bigblockpower to even reread his post and edit it to say what he meant. :lol: :lol:

So I have 3 hrs to reread my post. Hell no. I couldn't reread it in a minute. I'm not changing now. Pot The Jus will live for ever👍😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Great - thanks for the change!