Lake LBJ Crew..

(AZ, NM, NV, TX, UT)
BIGGUSBLOCKUS
Captain
Captain

Lake LBJ Crew..

Post by BIGGUSBLOCKUS »

Looking seriously at buying a used 2018 Cobalt R30 at the Cobalt dealer there at Lake LBJ - Boat Town. Been talking to them for about a week on a Blue/Red R30 with a arch and hard top. This boat checks nearly every box on my must-have list. 280 hours which seems high for a 2018 (at least up here in MO).

I was ready to pull the trigger and then found out about the extreme flooding you had down there in 2018 . Hope that it did not affect anyone too badly. We don't have those issues here at LOTO I'm happy to say. Must have been terrifying.

Have some concerns about some flood damage - the boat had some damage to the hardtop, tower and windshield as it was stored on a lift when the flood hit. Boat hit the top of the roof of the dock. All parts replaced at the dealer with brand new Cobalt stuff. There was about 15k in fiberglass repairs that I am going to get more detail on. I think it was a respray of the entire boat due to lots of scratches to the gelcoat from the storm. They replaced the entire rub rail around the boat as well.

I'm at Lake of the Ozarks. Was wondering if anyone there at Lake LBJ was familiar with this boat, or if someone might enjoy going and doing a cosmetic inspection for me. Work schedule and family keep me from being able to come down myself. Dealer has been very forthcoming about repairs and giving me info, but I'd love a independent set of eyes to confirm the repairs are not noticeable and the boat is in excellent condition before I agree to a price and purchase.

Any one interested in helping out with an inspection or providing any good intel? Thanks in Advance!

Tim
R30 boat town TX.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Cobalt R30 Twin Volvo 380 w joystick and hard top.
1965 Corvette 396CI/425HP Convertible
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lake LBJ Crew..

Post by AsLan7 »

She’s purrdy Tim.
Have you given any thought to a professional survey....especially in this circumstance with hidden damage that may be uncovered.? Or make an offer based upon that contingency.
If anything is uncovered you could have the dealer repair it as part of the deal.
I’m curious if there are any pics of the damage.
Still a hull warranty on her correct? That may not cover prior flood damage if anything is found structurally unsound. Get the boat survey report my friend. You’ll sleep better at night and your family will thank you.

If it checks out then pull the trigger.

Make it hap’n cap’n. 👌🏻

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Hopefully someone chimes in for ya. I actually looked at an R7 before I bought my new one down there that went through the same flood. But it was TRASHED. So I moved on. Either way pretty boat!
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
BIGGUSBLOCKUS
Captain
Captain

Post by BIGGUSBLOCKUS »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:39 am .
She’s purrdy Tim.
Have you given any thought to a professional survey....especially in this circumstance with hidden damage that may be uncovered.? Or make an offer based upon that contingency.
If anything is uncovered you could have the dealer repair it as part of the deal.
I’m curious if there are any pics of the damage.
Still a hull warranty on her correct? That may not cover prior flood damage if anything is found structurally unsound. Get the boat survey report my friend. You’ll sleep better at night and your family will thank you.

If it checks out then pull the trigger.

Make it hap’n cap’n. 👌🏻

Solid Advice for certain! I thought before I paid for a survey to find things that cannot easily be seen, I'd have someone give it a once over to make sure its worthy of a closer professional look.
rrfisher
Commander
Commander

Post by rrfisher »

I can, but I don't know how much good I'll be for you, my eyes work. I'm checking on some land in the area and hopefully be on the lake by 3 or 4 today. I'll probably stay at the lake tonight so I could make a run in the morning as well.

If you're looking to unload that 232, I'm pretty sure I could help with that, lol.
2001 206 5.0 Gi
BIGGUSBLOCKUS
Captain
Captain

Post by BIGGUSBLOCKUS »

rrfisher wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:37 am I can, but I don't know how much good I'll be for you, my eyes work. I'm checking on some land in the area and hopefully be on the lake by 3 or 4 today. I'll probably stay at the lake tonight so I could make a run in the morning as well.

If you're looking to unload that 232, I'm pretty sure I could help with that, lol.
Sent you a PM. Thank you for taking a look at her for me!

Tim
BIGGUSBLOCKUS
Captain
Captain

Post by BIGGUSBLOCKUS »

A big thanks to Brian (rrfisher) for his quick inspection for me today!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

BIGGUSBLOCKUS wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:28 pm A big thanks to Brian (rrfisher) for his quick inspection for me today!

A shout out to Brian! 👏🏻 Nice job.
So what’s the verdict so far BGBU.?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BIGGUSBLOCKUS
Captain
Captain

Post by BIGGUSBLOCKUS »

Getting my ducks in a row. Looking into 700 mile transportation options, got my new boat lift for my new dock contracted today. I'll be making an offer here this week once I get all the ancillary expenses properly sorted. I tend to work backwards on big purchases so there are no surprises.

If it sells, there will be another. My current boat was purchased in early October and I got a fairly good deal on it. The boat market is so insane right now that it's a terrible time to be a buyer.
rrfisher
Commander
Commander

Post by rrfisher »

Happy to help! It ended up being an awesome day on the water, just me and my boat.

I was walking back through their yard and asked if any of the boats on trailers, probably 20, were for sale, guy said only one, and it was sweet, but he said the one you were looking at has 2! 380s, lol!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 206 5.0 Gi
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

rrfisher wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:00 pm Happy to help! It ended up being an awesome day on the water, just me and my boat.

I was walking back through their yard and asked if any of the boats on trailers, probably 20, were for sale, guy said only one, and it was sweet, but he said the one you were looking at has 2! 380s, lol!
That CC looks huge.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
rrfisher
Commander
Commander

Post by rrfisher »

It was pretty big, but with an 8.6 beam it looked really skinny at 27'-28', whatever it was.
2001 206 5.0 Gi