Hit Something Below Water Surface

Donedroolin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hit Something Below Water Surface

Post by Donedroolin »

Well we cruise the Hudson River, we were having a great ride and day yesterday. Left from Catskill to go to Troy to have dinner. Well got to Coxsackie, and BAM, So opened engine hatch checked around raised outdrive did not see anything, So OK, good, well started to boat up had vibration. Limped her back to the Catskill launch got her on trailer, well you see. So my question is get repaired or buy new. We have a place near here called Precision Props, they look like they do really good work. So i am probably gonna bring them there, Thoughts, Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
COBALT 253 LOVE AT FIRST SITE
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hit Something Below Water Surface

Post by Big Block Power »

Get it fixed. That's not too bad
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

I would get it fixed, but I am cheap. I would also ask for some references from Precision Props and some before and after photos of their work.

P.S. I have fixed a prop a lot worse than that one in my driveway but I also have some bodywork knowledge.
CS23
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

That is an easy fix for any reputable prop shop. It will be much cheaper than a new set. Hopefully that is all that happened.
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
Donedroolin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Donedroolin »

She limped home fine, I hope i did not bend anything else. Precision props looks really good.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Nothing a monkey wrench can't fix. Easy one!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Did the same thing about 12 years ago. Insurance claim. Had outdrive magna-fluxed as well.

Got new props.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I'm wondering what you hit that bent prop that much, but only one blade.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

A floater. Hit it and it floated off. Good thing!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Mccoy38
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mccoy38 »

Happened to me in shallow water this weekend. But I was in reverse at idle speed maneuvering. Sucked up a rock between Skeg and prop. Just made me sick. Boat made it 9 yrs without this happening. Photo before and after. Luckily it doesn’t change performance. Just resell. May be able to find someone to weld in filler.
2011 Cobalt A25
8.2 Mag Bravo 3X
Donedroolin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Donedroolin »

Whatever I hit was defiantly below the water. Did not hit the boat. But it hit solid. Only one blade damaged. As Lan7 your duo insurance covered it. Any damage to our boats, makes me sick. When they don't run right or break down. I worked all my issues out. However you never know what could or is going to happen with a boat. Hole in the water we throw money into. You know all the sayings and they are true.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Donedroolin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:48 am Whatever I hit was defiantly below the water. Did not hit the boat. But it hit solid. Only one blade damaged. As Lan7 your duo insurance covered it. Any damage to our boats, makes me sick. When they don't run right or break down. I worked all my issues out. However you never know what could or is going to happen with a boat. Hole in the water we throw money into. You know all the sayings and they are true.
Yes. You may have hidden damage that may not manifest itself from your prop strike. Yours looks pretty bad with the nicks, gouges, and bent props. I'd get it checked out professionally. That's what insurance is for---to manage that risk. Those props, gears, outdrive casing etc are not cheap. We use ski safe insurance underwritten by Geico and they covered the props and outdrive on our last boat after striking rebar.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Mccoy38 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 am Happened to me in shallow water this weekend. But I was in reverse at idle speed maneuvering. Sucked up a rock between Skeg and prop. Just made me sick. Boat made it 9 yrs without this happening. Photo before and after. Luckily it doesn’t change performance. Just resell. May be able to find someone to weld in filler.
I would just sand it off flat and smooth. Never notice it. Or submit it for a claim.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Mccoy38
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mccoy38 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:44 pm
Mccoy38 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 am Happened to me in shallow water this weekend. But I was in reverse at idle speed maneuvering. Sucked up a rock between Skeg and prop. Just made me sick. Boat made it 9 yrs without this happening. Photo before and after. Luckily it doesn’t change performance. Just resell. May be able to find someone to weld in filler.
I would just sand it off flat and smooth. Never notice it. Or submit it for a claim.
I likely will sand it and repaint it.
2011 Cobalt A25
8.2 Mag Bravo 3X
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

Over the Memorial Day holiday I hit what I believe was a post with barbed wire - often placed in the water to keep cattle from walking out into water to change grazing spots. I didn't see anything, and I was at idle speed, but I certainly felt it. The post (had a bit of wood wedged in my drive shower) took a bit of paint off the skeg and put a few deepish scratches into the outside prop (B3). I'm sure it didn't hurt anything, but I now want to have the props cupped, balanced and polished this winter. I have run the lake (Lake Anna) for seven years and this is the first strike.
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags