Lift Guides

scottsyott
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Lift Guides

Post by scottsyott »

I have a FloatAir boat lift with 2"x2" steel guid posts covered in 3.5" PVC guide poles. With a new R5 on the way, I want something a little softer than PVC to rub up against my boat. Most trailer guide poles appear to be too small interior wise to fit a 2"x2" post. Any suggestions on where to find a post with a 3" ID or something that fits a 2x2 post. I need 36" and 72" lengths.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lift Guides

Post by AsLan7 »

What about foam noodle or foam/rubber pipe insulators? I use those things for multiple purposes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
scottsyott
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by scottsyott »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 am .
What about foam noodle or foam/rubber pipe insulators? I use those things for multiple purposes.

Thanks, That might work if I can find something 3.5" ID. 3" is as big as I'm finding. If it is too buoyant, though, it my float the guides off the post when the lift is down as they are only gravity fit.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Honestly your ss rub rail should hit it anyways. If pvc hurts the stainless you have bigger problems.

I played bumper boats with these hard plastic protectors and they worked great.

I guess I wouldn't worry too much about pvc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
scottsyott
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by scottsyott »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:24 am Honestly your ss rub rail should hit it anyways. If pvc hurts the stainless you have bigger problems.

I played bumper boats with these hard plastic protectors and they worked great.

I guess I wouldn't worry too much about pvc.
My forward guides are fixed at ~40" high which should be ok. The lift is a lever type so the rear guides are 8' when the lift is up and less than 36" when the lift is down. It is the rear guides that concern me.
up.jpg
down.jpg
And if you ever wondered what a beaver can do to a boat lift, here is a sample:
beaver.jpg

That's a $1200 snack, right there.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ouch. Darn animals.
I get you now. They are pretty low when the lift is down. I would think larger noodles would work?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
scottsyott
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by scottsyott »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm Ouch. Darn animals.
I get you now. They are pretty low when the lift is down. I would think larger noodles would work?
If I can't find a way to wrap them, then I will put longer PVC on them.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

scottsyott wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm Ouch. Darn animals.
If I can't find a way to wrap them, then I will put longer PVC on them.
60" covers on ebay.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

Looks like that's a front mount lift. If so, I'm at a loss as to why you need the guide poles. Doesn't the front of the lift "catch" the bow and automatically center the hull on the lift as it comes up? The SS rub rail would make contact with the post bumpers with any sideways movement as you pull into the slip.

OH! I can't imagine the face full WHOOSH of air that beaver got when he punched through the tank!!! :o :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
scottsyott
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by scottsyott »

I guess in practice, those guides are more about covering up the 2x2 steel posts that they rest on instead of keeping me centered. Yes, the bunks, assuming no cross current caused by boat traffic or wind, would center the boat up nicely, but on my part of the lake, a wake boat can put you in the railing pretty easily. Honestly, and in retrospect, I would put in a HydroHoist lift if I were to ever buy another.
scottsyott
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by scottsyott »

Holy Smokes wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:39 pm OH! I can't imagine the face full WHOOSH of air that beaver got when he punched through the tank!!! :o :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There was also a forehead full of .22 caliber WHOOSH when I caught him swimming across the cove headed toward my dock. :x
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Search for boat trailer guide pole covers on Amazon. That’s where I got my covers for the guide pole covers for my trailer. They have them in all lengths. They fit perfectly on schedule 40 pvc, you can put a zip tie on the bottom of them if you are worried about them floating off.
okielaker
Captain
Captain

Post by okielaker »

scottsyott wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:33 pm I guess in practice, those guides are more about covering up the 2x2 steel posts that they rest on instead of keeping me centered. Yes, the bunks, assuming no cross current caused by boat traffic or wind, would center the boat up nicely, but on my part of the lake, a wake boat can put you in the railing pretty easily. Honestly, and in retrospect, I would put in a HydroHoist lift if I were to ever buy another.
I placed ropes with loops or snaps to connect to the front cleats and rear tie-downs,
measured to hold the boat correctly over the bunks.
The front ropes have an elastic component so they can stretch and move a small amount.
Haven't had any problems, since. The lift is an older (fiberglass floats) Hydro-Hoist.
2008 272 8.1L 375hp VP
Buncombe Creek, Lake Texoma
scottsyott
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by scottsyott »

okielaker wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 pm I placed ropes with loops or snaps to connect to the front cleats and rear tie-downs,
The front ropes have an elastic component so they can stretch and move a small amount.
Haven't had any problems, since. The lift is an older (fiberglass floats) Hydro-Hoist.
What concerns me most is when I am docking, it isn't difficult usually to center up on the bunks, but I am parallel to wave action caused by other craft on the main water. That can, and does occasionally, push me sideways into the guide poles. I don't **think** it will be an issue, but my new boat is three times the price of my old ones, so there is some pucker factor there.
okielaker
Captain
Captain

Post by okielaker »

scottsyott wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:02 am
okielaker wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 pm I placed ropes with loops or snaps to connect to the front cleats and rear tie-downs,
What concerns me most is when I am docking, it isn't difficult usually to center up on the bunks, but I am parallel to wave action caused by other craft on the main water. That can, and does occasionally, push me sideways into the guide poles. I don't **think** it will be an issue, but my new boat is three times the price of my old ones, so there is some pucker factor there.
Ah, ok... I'm behind a decent breakwater, so waves from other boats is rarely a problem.
Wind, on the other hand, gives me fits, sometimes. Getting better with practice, as YT
said would happen.
2008 272 8.1L 375hp VP
Buncombe Creek, Lake Texoma