How do you Winterize ..Sad Day

NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: How do you Winterize ..Sad Day

Post by NautiGirl »

Alaskabound wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:48 am Thanks guys. Since we no longer ski or even pull skiers, we don’t put as many hours on the engine (41 hrs in 3 seasons). I had it winterized yesterday, all fluids & first impeller changed.

Only mistake I made was looking at the new R5 on the showroom floor. Wow, gorgeous boat! Didn’t look at those boats when we bought. It had a 350 vp in it so I don’t have to worry about bb buying it first. Lol

Dub
Did you take it to the new Dealer in Lou? Current?

How were they?
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Yes, thought they did a good job. Very nice people. Price seemed a little higher than I had paid in the past, about $700. Impeller change was about $155, they used synthetic oil & gear lube, antifreeze, stabil, etc. Seems Most I’ve paid in past is 400-450 range without impeller. But I expect to pay more at a dealer than an independent I guess.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Alaskabound wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:29 pm Yes, thought they did a good job. Very nice people. Price seemed a little higher than I had paid in the past, about $700. Impeller change was about $155, they used synthetic oil & gear lube, antifreeze, stabil, etc. Seems Most I’ve paid in past is 400-450 range without impeller. But I expect to pay more at a dealer than an independent I guess.

Dub
Honestly that sounds about right Dub. Nothing but the best for the bad boy!
So the question now is, are you going to wait for the boat shows or spring or Xmas to get the new ride with a 350 in it?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

No, just looking which doesn’t cost anything. What I’m working on are ways to spend your money, not mine! But the new ones sure are nice.

Dub
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alaskabound wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm No, just looking which doesn’t cost anything. What I’m working on are ways to spend your money, not mine! But the new ones sure are nice.

Dub
I appreciate that Dub😂 I don't have any money so that why I focus now on you. See we are just alike 🤑
So what color and so on was this so called boat you are not interested in.

See tgrace goes through the trouble of going to his salesperson person and talking him into ordering a Dreamsicle with a 430 in it then sending me a picture of it. Now that's comitted to trying to spend my money🤣💵
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

It was ice blue I think. If I did get another one, I would get a brighter color, red, black, yellow, etc. They did have a red 220s on the floor, was beautiful, had my same 280 v6. But I’m not in the market. We feel this is the perfect boat for us. By the way, I do love the “dream sickle” color so we are just alike. 😊

Dub
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Alaskabound wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:29 pm Yes, thought they did a good job. Very nice people. Price seemed a little higher than I had paid in the past, about $700. Impeller change was about $155, they used synthetic oil & gear lube, antifreeze, stabil, etc. Seems Most I’ve paid in past is 400-450 range without impeller. But I expect to pay more at a dealer than an independent I guess.

Dub
Glad they took good care of you! They have always been super nice when we've talked with them. We paid 380 for ours this year... No impeller change but 30 of that was them picking the boat up and taking it back to storage. So your number isn't crazy high.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

I will still go back to them. They seemed to want the business and answered every question. Good to hear from you guys. Go Cats & good luck to your Jayhawks.

Dub
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

A sad day indeed. :( ...Enjoy your hibernation...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:22 pm .

Yep sad days! At least she's inside. I'll work on mine a bit this off season.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:36 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:22 pm .

Yep sad days! At least she's inside. I'll work on mine a bit this off season.
What are your winter plans with her this season bbp?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

After a nice afternoon on Lake Anna Friday, I decided to service and winterize the boat today - Saturday October 24th. This is the latest I have winterized in 8 years. This year was a slow boating year - I added only 50 hours to total 368.1.

My routine is to change the gear lube with High Performance Mercury Gear (90 wt I thing) in my Bravo 3 drive. I really can't tell a difference from what I take out and put in other than a unique smell of the old lube. My drain plug magnetic nipple remains clean (yea!)

Then I move on to the engine oil and filter. After a warm-up on the hose/muffs, I suction out what oil I can (pump from the dip stick - threaded attachment). Then I poke a few holes in the oil filter top to help it drain. I use lots of paper towels and place a plastic bag under the filter on the bilge floor to keep things tidy. I then give the pump a few more pulls and remove the oil filter. I write the date and hours on the Mercury filter and spin it on - tightening only hand tight.

Not to add to the oil wars... I am a big believer of full syn Mobil 1. I get the large jugs from Walmart - 10w30. I target mid-stick and top off the gear lube reservoir. The oil was a bit darker amber than I expected with only 50 hours.

While re-warming up for the antifreeze, I prep the antifreeze tank (using about 5 gallons) and switch over to the pink stuff once all is warm. Once the motor has sucked all the antifreeze down, I cut the motor and I'm done. After clean-up I check the oil level and adjust as required.

Before putting in storage, I treat the gas with the blue Stabil and top off the tank, clean and treat the seats, spray the motor with CRC 656, remove the carpets (cleaning them later and store in the garage) and try to find a spot in the storage lot near an outlet so I can plug in the trickle charger for the batteries and two heaters/moisture reducers. I loath mold!

Think that's about it. A sad day indeed. 2020 has been a crappy year in many regards and I know we are all looking forward to a great 2021 on the water.

Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

Question.

Why change your fluids now? Do you change them again in the spring?

I will leave my lube in place and service it in the spring.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

rabiddawg wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:27 pm Question.

Why change your fluids now? Do you change them again in the spring?

I will leave my lube in place and service it in the spring.
Your engine oil contains acids. Good idea to get it out.
Your drive oil could have water in it and can freeze. It's just a good idea to get the old out instead of letting it sit on bearings and races.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

So are y’all changing it again to begin the next season? I don’t like the idea that my oil is 3 months old at the beginning of the season.

I only change mine at the beginning of the season.

Water in the drive. Agree I wouldn’t want to leave it. However, I hope that would show up on my dipstick well before I winterize.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo