By default, SmartCraft Weather cap or Yellow Terminator cap on engine ??

estoglow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

By default, SmartCraft Weather cap or Yellow Terminator cap on engine ??

Post by estoglow »

Hi all,

I just bought a 2004 Cobalt with the 496 MAG engine. Does anyone know whether from the factory does the engine's SMARTCRAFT terminal have the grey/black Weather cap (https://www.ebay.com/p/Mercury-Marine-S ... 6003549764 )
or
the yellow smartcraft terminator cap (https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mercruis ... B00N6DHO5M)?

I have not looked at the back of the engine yet and the boat is at the cottage.

I just purchased the Vesselview Mobile module and it needs the yellow capped SMARTCRAFT terminator in order to work, so I need to know if I need to buy one or not.

Otherwise I will just pick one up regardless to be on the safe side.

estoglow
2004 Cobalt 240
496 MAG B3
pgoralczyk
Ensign
Ensign

Re: By default, SmartCraft Weather cap or Yellow Terminator cap on engine ??

Post by pgoralczyk »

We’re you able to locate the plug? I recently purchased the same boat configuration and I am planning to install VesselView mobile. Just wondering what I am getting in to. Thanks!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

pgoralczyk wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:23 pm We’re you able to locate the plug? I recently purchased the same boat configuration and I am planning to install VesselView mobile. Just wondering what I am getting in to. Thanks!
Hey Pg.....welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

Any pics of your Cobalt?

We added Vessel View to our 2005 263 with 496 MAGHO and love it. Needed the yellow terminator cap for it to work. This is discussed here.

Feel free to start an intro thread with any pics only if you have the time. We love them here. :D

Again, welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Auburnbuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by Auburnbuilder »

I added Smartcraft Vesselview to my boat about 2 months ago. Mine is a 2005 255 with a 496mag HO.
It already had the yellow plug on the harness. You can see it in the picture.
Located towards front and under cover. Installed module on top of engine cover. Very easy to install.
I use an iPad to display info from it, works great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt 255
496 MAG HO
Lake Champlain, VT
Daniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Daniel »

I just installed vessel view mobile. Located the can plug and installed and I was able to see the module in the app but had no connection to Ecm and had no blue light. I walked away a few times after cleaning the plugs hoping to solve the problem. I finally decided to separate the canon plug from engine to helm and check for corrosion and found my problem. I cleaned the female and male terminals reinstalled the plug and reconnected the battery rotated the battery switch keyed on and No lights illuminated. I sat back in the port seat and listened to the new stereo and jl speakers and traced all wires associated with the can plug. Vessel view mobile and engine and helm wiring. I was at my wits end standing at the edge looking down, defeated and I realized that the off run switch on the throttle control was off I must have flipped that off when I powered down and disconnected the battery. I flipped the switch keyed on and vessel view mobile powered on blue light illuminated and I was in! Everything now works. I did have to purchase new tools to clean the terminals and also purchased a can of DeoxIT at radio shack the tools for cleaning terminals from ipa. IPA 8048 and 8042 from Amazon delivered next day with Amazon prime. The tools are perfect for cleaning canon plugs and trailer connections the DeoxIT also works very well I used compressed air in between manual cleaning with tools and spraying with DeoxIT. I finished with the small tube of DeoxIT terminal protectant that came in the tool kit from IPA. Hope this helps someone if they have any issues with vessel view mobile installation issues.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Thanks for documenting your experience Daniel. Hopefully this will help others as well.
Big fan of DeoxIT as well.

Any pics?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)