240 BR Rebuild

(190 through 360)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

240 BR Rebuild

Post by Ytmsn »

Hi ya'll
I just bought a 2003 240 Bowrider about 2 weeks ago and just joined the group. BB suggested I start a build thread and I think that's a great idea as hopefully I can glean a
little wisdom from you guys as I go through my project!

So the prior owner bought the boat new in 2003. He is a super nice guy but very busy and consequently going 12 directions at once. He kept it boat up for the first few years, then didn't winterize one fall and the block cracked. He spent a ton of money getting the motor replaced, and then during the fall of 2013 it happened again. Wasn't his fault ths time though, it was bad service. (long story) At any rate, it sat partially covered in a storage lot until he threw up his hands, ran an add, and I found it.

Again, I've only had it home for about 2 weeks, but I've already sourced several things. Other than cleaning and detailing, I'm not going to do anything until after Labor Day and things slow down in the boat world.

I started with the seats. They were pretty bad with mold and stains but I've got them looking pretty good now. It's going to need some vinyl work, but that'll come later.

Sometime in the next 2 weeks I'll take it to the boat shop and they'll pull the motor and strip it down to a long block and set it on a pallet. Then I'll take the engine to a builder to strip my pistons, crank, cam and such and at the same time do the heads. It'll get honed or bored, depending on how it looks, then we'll go back with new rings, bearings and seals. Then back to the boat shop to be reinstalled.

Next up will be to the fiberglass guy who will wet sand and buff the entire boat.

Then to the vinyl guy for some recovering and repair's.

And finally to the stereo shop for a new head, 6.5 speakers and LED lighting.

I'll post updates and pics as I go. It's gonna be fun!

Here is is the day I pulled it home from Texas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 240 BR Rebuild

Post by Ytmsn »

These pics are from day one. The first thing I did was order a cover and clean on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Black Boats Matter"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

The interior was pretty nasty. I'll get some shots of what it looks like now and post them up later.
"Black Boats Matter"
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Curious from your description - are you going to try to reuse the same engine block? I'm not too familiar with how that might work. Can they weld cracks and save the block if they are minor enough?

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I was thinking the same thing John. What engine is in this? Why not just buy a used or Long block?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Cast iron and aluminum are both a huge pita to weld, and I don't know that I'd trust JB weld, devcon, or even belzona when I was spending so much already on the rebuild. I thought one of the advantages to most marine engines was that they were built on cheap, common blocks?
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

There's no way I would weld the block. Too many things can go south by doing that.

Originally I looked into ordering a longblock. But my engine is low hours, so I figured I can use my pistons, crank, cam, and heads.

I have a builder that is supposed to get me a very low mile block. If everything specs within tolerances we can use my pistons and new rings and just hone the cylinders. If we can't find a block that will spec within tolerances then we may look at boring or going with something like a 400.

I thought about upgrading to a big block, but it would be too much trouble to change the outdrive, wiring harness, shift cables, etc. By the way, my motor is a Volvo Penta 5.7 gxi 320 horsepower engine. All of the Volvo parts hang off of the outside, the core of the engine is a 350 Chevrolet. I should have less than $2,000 into a new motor for removal, rebuild and install when it's finished!
"Black Boats Matter"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok thanks for the update. Think you could spend that on a short block or long block and get a warranty with it. I'm going to check around I have nothing better to do and I live on cl. And eBay.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Btw, a longblock from Jasper Engines was going to be about $3,200 not including removal and installation.
"Black Boats Matter"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ok just a quick non stressful look on the inter web. I will also check with my brother.I know it's not a Volvo but he works at mercury and sometimes they have things laying around for sale. He sent me a list a bit ago. Alkali found a little jewel to wreck your budget.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

A few more.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

One last one. I know it's expensive but if you sell your heads and some other engine parts you might come to your budget.it's brand new.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Some day I'm going to ask bigblock to find me the 300hp ecu for my v8-225, with a budget of $200, and see how long it takes him.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thanks John I'm on it.lol actually that 420 hp 8.1 is tempting.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Thanks for all the research BB! That's pretty much what I found, but I'm hoping my plan of rebuilding a new engine in a new block casting with all of my components is going to the best route.

I've been the the wholesale auto auction business for over 20 years, and as a result have developed a pretty good network of engine builders, mechanics and parts.

I talked to the prior owner last night and found out that this current engine has about 80 hours on it. I also asked how he determined if the block was cracked, and he said when he flushed it water came out down low on one side? Who knows, they may get the engine out and find that a freeze plug has pushed out! If that's the case, I'll still have them tear it down and freshen it up, but it'll eliminate the need for another block. (fingers crossed)
"Black Boats Matter"