2021 Big Cedar Lodge trip

(AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MO, MS, SC, TN)
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

2021 Big Cedar Lodge trip

Post by Kyboater »

Hello all,

One of my boating goals for 2021 is to visit other lakes. This past year we only visited our home lake of Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow lake and I want to change that in 2021. (Norris Lake in TN is also on the list for 2021)

Considering my two favorite hobbies are boating and golfing, I would like to plan a trip to Big Cedar Lodge to play golf and visit Table Rock lake. It appears to be about a 8.5 hr drive from Lake Cumberland.

Questions:

Preferred times to visit or not visit based on events at the lake?

What marina should I consider using?

Any useful local knowledge regarding the lake?

Should I consider staying somewhere other than the lodge?

Any other advice?

I’m wanting to stay a week and I’m open to most any dates next summer.

Thanks
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 2021 Big Cedar Lodge trip

Post by Big Block Power »

The locals will chime in. If you stay at the lodge it won't be Cheap. What's your budget I guess. If you don't have one then Prob keep the boat at state park or with the lodge. But I'll let tgrace98 or others answer this. Anytime is a great time to visit though. Come to the regatta end of July and bond with us.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Ok here I go.

Big Cedar lodge is beautiful but probably the most expensive and crowded place to stay on the lake. They do have their own marina for you to rent a slip at (long creek marina).

The Pros to big cedar. Tons of places to eat on the resort, lots of activities if you have kids, and a one stop shop.

Cons- very expensive, crowded, and kind of in its own little part of the very eastern part of the lake.

Can you give me more details on what else your family likes to do besides boating? Do you have any kids? If so what age? From there I can give you a few suggestions.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

tgrace98 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 am Ok here I go.

Big Cedar lodge is beautiful but probably the most expensive and crowded place to stay on the lake. They do have their own marina for you to rent a slip at (long creek marina).

The Pros to big cedar. Tons of places to eat on the resort, lots of activities if you have kids, and a one stop shop.

Cons- very expensive, crowded, and kind of in its own little part of the very eastern part of the lake.

Can you give me more details on what else your family likes to do besides boating? Do you have any kids? If so what age? From there I can give you a few suggestions.
It will probably be the wife and another couple. We will be empty nesters next summer. Beside boating, the number one priority is playing golf at Payne’s Valley. We don’t have to stay at the lodge. I was just thinking it would give our wives something to do while we played golf. Plus it looks amazing online.

As for the boating part of the trip, we like to visit good restaurants on the water, enjoy adult drinks and find calm waters to drop an anchor. Sometimes we like it to be just us and sometime we like to be in the middle of a fun tie up.

I don’t necessarily want the lodge to determine what part of the lake I visit. I know Lake Cumberland is vastly different depending on the east or west end. If I was traveling 9 hrs to see Lake Cumberland I would be disappointed if I only went to the east end. I don’t know if TRL is like that or not.

Maybe the regatta at the end of July is the time to go? Where is the host marina? Where do most folks stay?

I appreciate the feedback.
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Kyboater wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:17 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 am Ok here I go.

It will probably be the wife and another couple. We will be empty nesters next summer. Beside boating, the number one priority is playing golf at Payne’s Valley. We don’t have to stay at the lodge. I was just thinking it would give our wives something to do while we played golf. Plus it looks amazing online.

As for the boating part of the trip, we like to visit good restaurants on the water, enjoy adult drinks and find calm waters to drop an anchor. Sometimes we like it to be just us and sometime we like to be in the middle of a fun tie up.

I don’t necessarily want the lodge to determine what part of the lake I visit. I know Lake Cumberland is vastly different depending on the east or west end. If I was traveling 9 hrs to see Lake Cumberland I would be disappointed if I only went to the east end. I don’t know if TRL is like that or not.

Maybe the regatta at the end of July is the time to go? Where is the host marina? Where do most folks stay?

I appreciate the feedback.

Ah nice I have played all the golf courses at Big Cedar lodge and you will not be disappointed. Do not feel like you have to play tigers course only as they are all amazing courses. Buffalo Ridge is probably the most Scenic. Ozarks National is the hardest. And Payne is well tigers course. You do not have to stay at the lodge to play golf. They do have stay and play packages that might be worth looking into. You can also boat up to big cedar lodge from the lake and use any of their amenities without staying at the lodge.

Most of the action on Table Rock happens between the Dam area and Kimberling City. Once you get past it (pt 9) it gets rather calm and quiet. If you come during the regatta you will get a tour of a lot of the lake. The Friday classic event is over in Shell Knob which is about the halfway part of the lake. The saturday event will be at Chateau on the Lake which is over by the dam. You could look at staying there as well as they have docks.

I am on Indian Point which is right in the middle of all the action. I could give you a few spots on there to look at. I am at Treehouse Condos but there is also indianpoint.com. Dooley's White wing lodge. Majestic would be another to look at as well.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Tgrace comments are spot on including the "hot spots" of the lake. There are few places on Indian Point that have docks for renters. Dooley's, Stillwaters, Treehouse, Rockwood, watermill cove (large pricey units), and the our resort which is Table Rock Resorts on Indian Point. As far as boating up to restaurants options are limited. You can get food at State Park Marina, or Big Cedar (need to take a courtesy shuttle to get up to restaurants), or the tiki bar at Rock Lane on Indian Point. You can do that same at Chateau (shuttle up to restaurant). There is a restaurant that sells greasy spoon/pizza on coney island and in the same cove is Sharkey's pizza. There is yet another pizza place supposedly going in at Port of Kimberling but if its up and running by next summer I'll be surprised. Of all those places only Tiki Bar, Big Cedar, and Chateau sell alcohol. The food in all these places (other than perhaps Chateau and Big Cedar) isnt going to blow you away.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Table Rockin wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:32 am Tgrace comments are spot on including the "hot spots" of the lake. There are few places on Indian Point that have docks for renters. Dooley's, Stillwaters, Treehouse, Rockwood, watermill cove (large pricey units), and the our resort which is Table Rock Resorts on Indian Point. As far as boating up to restaurants options are limited. You can get food at State Park Marina, or Big Cedar (need to take a courtesy shuttle to get up to restaurants), or the tiki bar at Rock Lane on Indian Point. You can do that same at Chateau (shuttle up to restaurant). There is a restaurant that sells greasy spoon/pizza on coney island and in the same cove is Sharkey's pizza. There is yet another pizza place supposedly going in at Port of Kimberling but if its up and running by next summer I'll be surprised. Of all those places only Tiki Bar, Big Cedar, and Chateau sell alcohol. The food in all these places (other than perhaps Chateau and Big Cedar) isnt going to blow you away.
Lots of good food off the lake there. We always say Branson is like Norris lake with international drive from Florida. It’s the great thing about Branson. So much to do off the lake. That college has very tasty food it i reca
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Boater4life
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Boater4life »

We will be at Big Cedar in May 24-28. Great facilities.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Spend one dinner at the Buzzard Lounge. Singer/guitar player/ comedian is worth it.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS