My 2017 R5 Mods and Maintenance

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Cobalt272!
Commander
Commander

Re: My 2017 R5 Mods and Maintenance

Post by Cobalt272! »

Bruce, Welcome to the Forum and look forward to your new Member Intro, and congrats on the new vessel. But yeah, fun read for all....just wish I saved it for Friday night and a few beers. Best of luck with the mods.
2016 A28
VP430, wht/blk boot strip, hardtop
2005 272
Merc 496 HO
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:59 pm Thanks. I have a few other mods I have done. Modding is fun.
I agree. With additional time on hands from covid, I almost look forward to things breaking so I can fix...

What else you have planned?

I want to add the rudder indicator I purchased last year, but requires drilling in the hull which is not something I'm comfy with, so dragging my feet.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

greenhut wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:08 am
bruceb58 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:59 pm Thanks. I have a few other mods I have done. Modding is fun.
I agree. With additional time on hands from covid, I almost look forward to things breaking so I can fix...

What else you have planned?

I want to add the rudder indicator I purchased last year, but requires drilling in the hull which is not something I'm comfy with, so dragging my feet.
Got rid of the post with the anchor light on top of the tower so I can fit it in storage. Replaced buckles on the mooring cover(I own a commercial sewing machine). More lights for the engine compartment. Anderson connector for 12V power near the battery disconnect for air pumps. I think there are some that I did that I can't remember.

Not sure how the rudder indicator mounts for the Mercruiser. I found the indicator but have no idea where it mounts. I may just buy it and wing it. It does come with instructions but can't find the instructions online.

Finally got my replacement LED interior light from Cobalt. Dealer did order it but It was mainly talking to Cobalt directly.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I also got rid of the cig lighter on the port side and replaced with. BlueSea 4.8A USB port.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
winniboater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by winniboater »

Agreed. Bruce is the Bomb! Love your mods and willingness to share your expertise.
2020 R5, 5.7 350 VP
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

winniboater wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:05 pm Agreed. Bruce is the Bomb! Love your mods and willingness to share your expertise.
I did like sharing! But certain people ruin it for everyone.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I haven't removed posts, closed this thread, or taken other action for a couple reasons. First, Aslan (forum moderator) saw and commented on the thread before I did, and we're exactly on the same page.

Second, the thread did get derailed from the Bruce's original intent, but we don't have a "no thread derailment" rule (and heaven help us if we did). Personal attacks that make members feel unwelcome are grounds for post removal or other action, but this thread didn't approach that. It looks like people are largely over it, but Aslan and I would rather err on the side of letting people get along on their own than being heavy-handed and banning or locking, etc.. Joining this forum can be a bit like walking into a bar full of regulars you don't know, and I appreciate that several people in this thread made an effort to show appreciation and welcome new members.

Finally, thanks to Bruce for sticking around in this thread despite his frustrations, and for documenting all the upgrades he's done with his boat. Helping others get the most out of their boats and the boating lifestyle is what this site is all about, and we're ALL glad you're here.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

jhnmdahl wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:16 pm I haven't removed posts, closed this thread, or taken other action for a couple reasons. First, Aslan (forum moderator) saw and commented on the thread before I did, and we're exactly on the same page.

Second, the thread did get derailed from the Bruce's original intent, but we don't have a "no thread derailment" rule (and heaven help us if we did). Personal attacks that make members feel unwelcome are grounds for post removal or other action, but this thread didn't approach that. It looks like people are largely over it, but Aslan and I would rather err on the side of letting people get along on their own than being heavy-handed and banning or locking, etc.. Joining this forum can be a bit like walking into a bar full of regulars you don't know, and I appreciate that several people in this thread made an effort to show appreciation and welcome new members.

Finally, thanks to Bruce for sticking around in this thread despite his frustrations, and for documenting all the upgrades he's done with his boat. Helping others get the most out of their boats and the boating lifestyle is what this site is all about, and we're ALL glad you're here.

John
I see you John.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

A reminder that posts that do nothing other than attack other members ARE outside of our rules and will be deleted.
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I guess I’m old school and old but I’m subscribed to this thread.

I only choose to be influenced by banter either directly or indirectly.
It’s a decision made only if someone chooses to get upset.

Tougher skin would be my advice to anyone posting on a public forum since there is no live response in this world.

Continue your thoughts and improvements and make your choice to respond.

My 03 cents.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 am A reminder that posts that do nothing other than attack other members ARE outside of our rules and will be deleted.
I think you missed one then. Calling out "certain people" post is only used to try to further divide this website. And to whine for attention
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

dustinm wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:01 am
jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 am A reminder that posts that do nothing other than attack other members ARE outside of our rules and will be deleted.
I think you missed one then. Calling out "certain people" post is only used to try to further divide this website. And to whine for attention
👍🤣🤣🤣🤣😢
I wasnt going to reply anymore to this but true.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

dustinm wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:01 am
I’m sure I’ve missed more than one. Feel free to PM me if you see something I don’t.
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Re: My 2017 R5 Mods and Maintenance--Phone mount/charger

Post by Norris_Boating »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:09 pm Installed my new Scanstrut Phone mount/charger today. As mentioned in a previous post, this is an option on new Cobalts. On the R5, I had to make a plate that attached to the dash since the best place was too narrow to allow all 4 mounting screw to engage with the dash. The plate is just 1/4" aluminum which I tapped 4 #8 screws into and drilled two 1/4: mounting screws to go through the dash with nuts on the back. An additional 1/4" hole was drilled for the power cord. I will be wiring it in parallel with the 12V lighter outlet once my crimp connectors come in.

Why did you use the metal plate? I was getting ready to put it on my boat but I don't have access to a metal plate like this.
Any suggestions on how to drill through the fabric/fiberglass? I was going to do small drill bit then increase in size but not sure.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

The area of fiberglass under the vinyl is too narrow for the mounting holes of the phone mount and there is no way of making new ones on the mount itself. Also, the fiberglass has a little bit of a curve to it which also complicates matters.

Pretty easy to find aluminum plate.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA