New Cobalt 220 Owner

Jsherhart
Ensign
Ensign

New Cobalt 220 Owner

Post by Jsherhart »

Hey all - Just picked up a very low hour 2005 Cobalt 220 w/ 5.7 Volvo last week. Boat has an interesting history in that it was owned by one of the Seattle Mariners (which probably explains the low hours). As much as I wanted the new seat configuration of the 2012+, this thing was too good of a deal to pass up.

Sadly it has not left the driveway since picking it up, but hoping to get it out this weekend and get a slip secured on Lake Washington for next year. Would love to meet other folks in the Seattle area if there is anyone on here. Otherwise just looking for tips and tricks as I grew up around boating but this is the first one I've owned.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: New Cobalt 220 Owner

Post by Big Block Power »

Very sharp looking boat. I wish mine had the tower and the colored gel. Every bulb on my boat had been converted to led. I think you have docking lights and it was a little work to get leds for them but I did I just have not installed docking lights yet. I'm having a hard time cutting the big holes.lol. Any specific questions ask up. Show the inside of the boat. Enjoy it great boat. The swim platform and the walk through gets very slippery if you are in a hurry getting in the boat. I put this in my 200 it's from hsi inc I have some for this boat I just have not installed it yet as I'm not sure what I'm doing yet with the carpet or sea grass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Jsherhart
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jsherhart »

The maiden voyage last week was a mixed bag. Getting it in and out at the launch went smoother than I thought. Boat started up great, but showed some fuel delivery issues under load. We managed to swap out the fuel filter, but it did not fix the issue, so we just puttered around the lake since it was a beautiful day. All signs are pointing to fuel pump. Contacted previous owner who had the pump replaced in the last year, so still under warranty and he is going to pay for the labor to get it fixed which is cool. What's not cool is it is going to be perfect weather tomorrow, but boat will be in the shop. Looks like the Volvo's are pretty notorious for fuel pump issues. Good times.

Jimbo
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

That black-on-gray color scheme looks so sharp. I have the 5.7L Volvo V8 as well, but no problems yet - I'll have to keep an eye on the fuel pump.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Jsherhart
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jsherhart »

Thanks John. I do like the look of the boat. Just wish it was running ;-)

Apparently some versions of the fuel pump are painted on the inside (no joke). As you can imagine, the gas starts to eat away at the paint and eventually flakes off, gets caught in the pump screen (or filter) and starts to restrict the flow of gas. If you have had no issues, consider yourself pretty lucky.

Jimbo
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yep very bad issue with the pumps. The good thing is there cheap. Not!
Hope it fixes the issue and you get back on the water. Glad the PO is stepping up.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Congratulations on the boat - sorry about the (hopefully) pump...

Which Mariner? That points to a very punny name for the boat.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Jsherhart
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jsherhart »

Missed this Liquid. Omar Vizquel. Now the 3rd base coach in Detroit. His wife supposedly got it in a divorce and wanted nothing to do with it. Have some paperwork with her name and the guy I bought it from had no reason to make it up, so probably true.

Jim
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Interesting. I have a question for you though Jsherhart, I'm only 5.7 have you lowered your tower? Do you have any hints on getting it up and down? This b is heavy. And I keep my boat in the garage.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Jsherhart
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jsherhart »

Big Block - Have not had to lower mine yet, but imagine I will if I do indoor storage this winter. The manual recommends flipping up the cushions in front of the windshield, putting something over them to protect the vinyl, and resting it on them. I would only do that as a temporary solution and would probably make a wood jig to rest it on if I needed to do it for more than a few hours.

Jim
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yea I have them resting on the wife's crutch.lol and a nice block of wood on the floor not the seat cushions. The issue is I would like to raise and lower it by myself. I could do it if I lowered it to the rear of the boat but it sticks up the air about 10 feet. So it won't fit no matter what in the garage. I could do that going backwards by myself. So going forward one person my height can't reach the top of the tower when it reaches the middle. It's about ten feet in the air. Plus once you go past center it gets real heavy. And it will fall forward or backwards if your not hanging on to it. I might just buy a step flat ladder that will fit in the walk way.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

That's cool history - let's kick this around a bit.

Omar had two nicknames, "Little O" & "Manos de Seda" (Hands of Silk). There's certainly potential for a quality name in there.

Also the fact that it was part of the divorce settlement has some potential as well. BB is kind of a wordsmith with his boat's names, I'm sure he's got some ideas.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's putting me on the spot.lol
"It's a Home Run"
I'll come up with some. Sitting in the airport in Florida for work. Rough life this week down here.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Lee St.Clair
Commander
Commander

Post by Lee St.Clair »

That's one fine looking boat Jim. You'll treasure that one for a long time. I used to have a boat on Lake Washington. Had a 42 foot Grand Banks trawler that I lived aboard. Parked right under the big bridge. Most of the time I berthed her at a 50 foot covered slip in Everett but it was always fun to come down and go through the locks to get into the lake.
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Lee St.Clair wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 pm That's one fine looking boat Jim. You'll treasure that one for a long time. I used to have a boat on Lake Washington. Had a 42 foot Grand Banks trawler that I lived aboard. Parked right under the big bridge. Most of the time I berthed her at a 50 foot covered slip in Everett but it was always fun to come down and go through the locks to get into the lake.
I thought I was the only one that looked at old threads. Lol
A7 even pulled one out of the cellar yesterday.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!