New Outdrive Clicks When Turning.

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Mbrockman5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Outdrive Clicks When Turning.

Post by Mbrockman5 »

I just got my 97' 200 back from the shop today where they replaced the Merc. Alpha 1/Gen 2 outdrive with a brand new SEI Outdrive, as well as a new gimbal bearing...

I went straight from the shop to the closest lake (Collin's Lake, in northern CA) to give it a try. I know there's a break-in procedure/process, so I just took it easy and kept it between 1k and 2k rpm while I just sputtered around for a couple hours.

Everything was feeling fine... Except for when I would make tight turns. Then I'd hear a noticable "Clicking" noise. It stops when I straighten out and wide turns are fine, but it would start clicking every time I make any sort of relatively tight turns.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know what might be causing it?
Screenshot_20200929-200247_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mike

1997 Cobalt 200.
(5.7L Merc.)
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New Outdrive Clicks When Turning.

Post by dustinm »

With the engine off - just like you have it now. I would lower trim and turn the drive the offending direction and rotate then the prop by hand and you may be able feel it then see where it is binding or hitting.
CS23
Mbrockman5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mbrockman5 »

I completely forgot to give an update on this. It turned out to be an incorrect or bad seal. After I brought it back to the shop, he found that SEI had sent either a defective or incorrect seal. They overnighted a new one and everything has seemed to be working just fine. Granted, I’ve only taken it or twice since then.... Definitely looking forward to hitting the lake every chance we get.
-Mike

1997 Cobalt 200.
(5.7L Merc.)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

You might want to invest in a drive shower for that baby. Help keep it cool 👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Mbrockman5 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:54 am I completely forgot to give an update on this. It turned out to be an incorrect or bad seal. After I brought it back to the shop, he found that SEI had sent either a defective or incorrect seal. They overnighted a new one and everything has seemed to be working just fine. Granted, I’ve only taken it or twice since then.... Definitely looking forward to hitting the lake every chance we get.
Thanks for the follow up MB5. 👍🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Mbrockman5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mbrockman5 »

If this CA weather keeps it up, I’ll be hitting the water sooner than later....🥵
-Mike

1997 Cobalt 200.
(5.7L Merc.)