A28 Docking Light Placement

(A25, A28, A36, A40)
Gilty1
Ensign
Ensign

A28 Docking Light Placement

Post by Gilty1 »

Hello All! I just purchased my first boat, a new to me 2015 A28. I am very excited, I should be able to pick it up late next month because I'm waiting on a new trailer to be built. The boat did not come with docking lights, but the marina we keep it at is a little dark at night so they would be helpful. Not to mention that they just look awesome!! I purchased a set from Barnegat and I plan on cutting some holes once it arrives. Is anyone able to give me some placement measurements from their A28? The lights came with templates, but it has nothing on spacing. I want to be as close to factory placement as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: A28 Docking Light Placement

Post by jhnmdahl »

Lots of pictures of A28s on the web with docking lights like this one from the brochure:
0FE63378-1582-443A-AFEB-CC2C20C37910.jpeg
but you may find this thread interesting too:

viewtopic.php?p=47407
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Gilty1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gilty1 »

Thank you, I did read through that thread. Lots of good info there! I have looked at pictures and watched many videos on the docking lights but I have never found actual measurements. I was hoping to get the measurements between the light bezels going around the bow. And maybe measurements from the rub rail to the top of the bezel. That way my spacing will be correct. I really want the install to go smoothly, I don't want to have to start researching fiberglass repair.... haha!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey Gilty1...welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

A couple of A28 owners on the forum may be able to help you out with measurements. I'm not sure if their Cobalt's are out of winter storage. Honestly though you can just eyeball it. Tape a couple of cutout templates up on the bow area and see what looks the meanest. Then make sure there is nothing in the anchor locker that could interfere with the cans. Drill the holes carefully and install.

The docking lights really set the boat apart from others with that classic Cobalt look.

Any pics of your A28?

Again, welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Gilty1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gilty1 »

Thank you! I figured it would be a long shot since most are still hibernating. I will post pics and a hello when I finally get my baby home next month! If all goes well, I'll even share some pics of the modifications I have planned. I can't wait! Boats have always been in my blood, but this is the first one I can call mine!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Gilty1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:37 pm Thank you! I figured it would be a long shot since most are still hibernating. I will post pics and a hello when I finally get my baby home next month! If all goes well, I'll even share some pics of the modifications I have planned. I can't wait! Boats have always been in my blood, but this is the first one I can call mine!
Well that's one heck of a first one!
In a month more guys will be able to touch theirs easier.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Gilty1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gilty1 »

We are very excited. Hopefully I will have her home by the end of April. That will give the other A28's time to wake up!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I have seen some installs where it intrudes into the anchor locker, at least on R5s like mine. That would be one reason why I would not install them. My fortress anchor is already a tight fit.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

bruceb58 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:29 pm I have seen some installs where it intrudes into the anchor locker, at least on R5s like mine. That would be one reason why I would not install them. My fortress anchor is already a tight fit.
This is the case on the A25/A28 with the factory docking lights.

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Gilty1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gilty1 »

Yes they do take up room in the anchor locker, small price to pay in my opinion. I love that look, and need the light at night.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

LED docking lights tend not to impinge on the interior space as much as the old bulb fixtures - another reason to like LED lights on boats.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Welcome and good luck. Looking forward to seeing pics. Go to the new member thread when you get them.
I do like the LED option.....my docking lights really generate a lot of heat and we have to let them cool before using mooring cover.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Gilty1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gilty1 »

I will most definitely post pics when I get her home!!! I did get the original light units but opted for the led upgrades so I am excited.
Gilty1
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Gilty1 »

Just putting out a feeler to see if anyone has taken their A28 out of hibernation. Hoping someone could give me a quick placement measurement of those docking light placement. Hopefully picking up my baby next week and will shortly be cutting some holes soon after. Thanks!! Dustin