Regal Boats and General Competition

tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Regal Boats and General Competition

Post by tgrace98 »

Krob1114 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am Hello to all.
After loving our entry level Caravelle 187BR for nine yet, we made the mistake of attending a boat show in March.

I’ve loved everything about a Colbalt from seeing them on our lake, and dreamed of getting one. However, at that boat show, I was impressed by the Regal line. We started looking at late model Cobalt and Regal boats. One weekend in April, I made a trip to Lake Lanier in Georgia and tried used Regal 2500 and Regal 22 FasDeck. Something about the way the boat throttled wasn’t as good as my old boat. The next day I drove my first Cobalt. Loved it, but owners had kept it at lake without a lift, so no way.

Our local Regal dealer had a 2015 Regal 24 FasDeck which we had was fully loaded with great features. Loved the layout, size, colors, arch, etc. We tested it and had the same throttle feeling. Plus, even though interior was good quality, materials weren’t as nice as Cobalt. My wife noticed things like the seat cushions were hard. Plus while testing, a face plate on one of the speakers came off.

The next day I tested Cobalt 243, loved it. Very responsive, loved size, but the seller had not taken good care of interior so we backed off.

All this looking, travel to find deals on used Cobalts was starting to cost a lot. My wife broke down and we went to local Greers Ferry Lake dealer and had them drop a brand new 2019 R3 into the lake and we drove off into the sunset.

Thats a heck of a story there! We need to see some pictures of this R3!

I kinda did the same thing with my wife on the new R7. I sent her used R5's and 7's pretty much non stop and we even made offers on a couple. Then after not finding exactly what we wanted she said go pick us out a new one. And I felt so obligated to do so 8-)
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Very cool. Congrats. I was on a regal at the Barrett Jackson auction and I really felt the Dane way. Nice layout but didn't like anything else.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I loce the Regal Bimini ..But that’s where it stopped.

Congratulations on your R3. Looking forward to your intro pics .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Ezed63
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ezed63 »

Has anyone seen or driven the 2021 Regal LS 4 surf?
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ezed63 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:41 pm Has anyone seen or driven the 2021 Regal LS 4 surf?
Hey Ezed63 so glad you found us!

I'm not familiar with anyone on the forum driving the new Regal Surf. Are you a Regal or Cobalt owner.

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

tgrace98 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 am
Krob1114 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am Hello to all.
After loving our entry level Caravelle 187BR for nine yet, we made the mistake of attending a boat show in March.

I’ve loved everything about a Colbalt from seeing them on our lake, and dreamed of getting one. However, at that boat show, I was impressed by the Regal line. We started looking at late model Cobalt and Regal boats. One weekend in April, I made a trip to Lake Lanier in Georgia and tried used Regal 2500 and Regal 22 FasDeck. Something about the way the boat throttled wasn’t as good as my old boat. The next day I drove my first Cobalt. Loved it, but owners had kept it at lake without a lift, so no way.

Our local Regal dealer had a 2015 Regal 24 FasDeck which we had was fully loaded with great features. Loved the layout, size, colors, arch, etc. We tested it and had the same throttle feeling. Plus, even though interior was good quality, materials weren’t as nice as Cobalt. My wife noticed things like the seat cushions were hard. Plus while testing, a face plate on one of the speakers came off.

The next day I tested Cobalt 243, loved it. Very responsive, loved size, but the seller had not taken good care of interior so we backed off.

All this looking, travel to find deals on used Cobalts was starting to cost a lot. My wife broke down and we went to local Greers Ferry Lake dealer and had them drop a brand new 2019 R3 into the lake and we drove off into the sunset.

Thats a heck of a story there! We need to see some pictures of this R3!

I kinda did the same thing with my wife on the new R7. I sent her used R5's and 7's pretty much non stop and we even made offers on a couple. Then after not finding exactly what we wanted she said go pick us out a new one. And I felt so obligated to do so 8-)
This pic has been posted elsewhere on cobaltchat. My wife says I talk to much about my our boat and it sounds like bragging.
Not on this website (only 300 hp small block).
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Ezed63
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ezed63 »

I don’t have either. Two of my friends have Cobalts and are quite pleased. Supply for either is quite difficult and have a seen the Regal but have not been able to test the LS4 Surf.
MikeBo
Commander
Commander

Re: Regal boats and general competition

Post by MikeBo »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am Yea I guess I'm a Cobalt snob. They are taking some credits from Cobalt. The stainless tubing on top of the seats. The material is close. I don't think it will feel as wide as the R7 either. It's tight between the captains and pass seat. The power step is ugly and noisy and I don't know where that motor is but I hear trouble. Leds I like but I'm not putting more holes in mine yet. Just might though. The dash looks cheap. The Sea Ray was the same way but cheaper.
Admins maybe move this to the comparison threads?
Nice vid. TR.
Yes, my number one reason not to get this boat, is every time you got gas (in this part of the US) someone would say “nice boat, but why didn’t you buy a Cobalt”, and after 5 years of that, when you decide to sell it to buy a Cobalt your resale value is way less. Just my 2 cents.
Cobalt 292, white with blue sport stripes, twin Volvo 5.7’s.

Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

We liked the LS4 on the showroom floor at the boat show, which made us consider Regal. Last boat we considered was used Regal, forget the model but it was the one with the SD type front and the underneath that had an extra channel that was supposed to help you ride on top of the water. In the end, I didn't like the center walk thru as there was nothing to hold on to and we have a lot of waves on our lake. The hull design was actually worse unless you're on smooth water. The sound system wasn't as good and there was a loose speaker that the dealer had known about for over a month and hadn't fixed. The vinyl was slippery and we'd slide around in our seats. It seemed like every thing on the boat that I'd rate a 9 or 10 on Cobalt, I'd rate the Regal a point or two lower. One thing I was told, but a guy selling his Regal privately, for the same amount of money, you can get a Regal that is two feet bigger than a Cobalt....there's a reason for that.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Ezed63
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ezed63 »

Thanks for your impressions. I am in a holding pattern. Still curious about the upcoming R4 surf.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

Ezed63 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:11 am Thanks for your impressions. I am in a holding pattern. Still curious about the upcoming R4 surf.
Be very careful.

Last year, Regal closed its Georgia plant. (Since politics and expletives are banned here, I cannot say anything about the cause.)

The entire industry is still in turmoil. And Regal, being independent, does not have the financial protection of Cobalt. I am not predicting Regal's demise, only that there are unfortunate reasons to be cautious.
Ezed63
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ezed63 »

I thought all their manufacturing took place in Orlando. Very interesting. Still in a holding pattern. Thanks