220s rudder indicator

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
dalziel
Ensign
Ensign

220s rudder indicator

Post by dalziel »

I have a 2020 220s with Volvo 280 DP. I bought it from dealer inventory and am thrilled with it. However, I notice that from the factory Cobalt offered a rudder indicator upgrade for relatively low $ ($300 US I think). This was much less expensive than the same option for a Merc engine. My question is what exactly do you get for this and can it be purchased and installed now? If not, is there another option this cost effective? Thanks!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 220s rudder indicator

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes you can get it. They're is a thread on here of 1 person that installed it. Someone will find that thread for you in sure. I don't have time right now. Not sure if it was greenhut? Or who? Talk to your dealer.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

dalziel wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:05 am I have a 2020 220s with Volvo 280 DP. I bought it from dealer inventory and am thrilled with it. However, I notice that from the factory Cobalt offered a rudder indicator upgrade for relatively low $ ($300 US I think). This was much less expensive than the same option for a Merc engine. My question is what exactly do you get for this and can it be purchased and installed now? If not, is there another option this cost effective? Thanks!
dalziel wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:05 am I have a 2020 220s with Volvo 280 DP. I bought it from dealer inventory and am thrilled with it. However, I notice that from the factory Cobalt offered a rudder indicator upgrade for relatively low $ ($300 US I think). This was much less expensive than the same option for a Merc engine. My question is what exactly do you get for this and can it be purchased and installed now? If not, is there another option this cost effective? Thanks!

Hey dalziel...check this Rudder Indicator thread out. Hopefully it will help.
...and your memory is correct BBP. Greenhut did a nice job documenting in that thread after the initial documentation and install by jma2@fusenet. 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Blwalker105
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Blwalker105 »

Get a bottle of bright fingernail polish. Turn the wheel all the way to the right (or left). With the drive out of the water, count how many revolutions to the left it takes to center the outdrive. My 220S is 1.3 turns. Now paint a bright dot of the nail polish on the top of the black center spacer of the steering wheel. Now, just turn the wheel all the way to the right, then turn it left to the second time the dot appears at the top. Voila! A perfectly centered drive in less than 3 seconds for about $4.
2020 220S 300HP
Indianapolis