Thinking of a new tow vehicle.

sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Thinking of a new tow vehicle.

Post by sailor55330 »

I have to agree with Tuscany on this one. Maybe from the factory a gas 1/2 ton will outrun a diesel, but no way it hangs with the properly chipped diesel. I have a friend with a 3/4 ton Duramax that he has done the delete on and put a tune in. I have been in the truck when it flat ran away from a Mustang GT350 both at a stoplight and at 50mph. I've also seen the same truck break the tires and do a 180 on dry pavement and 15mph and he's running 35's. He claims he's pushing 550hp.....can't verify that.

No way a stock 1/2 ton hangs with a well tuned diesel.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Guys you can't compare tuned vs stk anything.
Stk vs stk. Tune vs tune.
Ok discussions over. Lets get Sailor a new tundra!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 pm Guys you can't compare tuned vs stk anything.
True-BBP.

New Tundra-- Nope, not gonna do it. Even if I was in the market for a truck, a Tundra wouldn't be on the radar---not a fan of the body style and the tech is ancient. Rumor has it the trusty 5.7l might be going away to be replace by a 3.4L twin turbo w 415hp or a 3.6l naturally aspirated 6 with around 300hp. Neither of those engines really inspire me. Gonna keep the Sequoia as long as I can. Really only 2 vehicles I would consider.

The new Suburban with the baby Duramax (which says as lot since I'm really not a Chevy guy) or this:

http://www.customautosbytim.com/alumax.html

Doesn't matter as I can't afford either! LOL
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

mdadgar wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 am
Krob1114 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am In the last six months I've had to replace the DPF sensor ($750), EGR valve ($1000), and thermostat ($800) on a Mercedes diesel. Before that the oil cooler ($2500). All this in addition to the normal maintenance.
I did the oil cooler 2x on mine in 110K miles. At least MBZ covered it the first time.

Wait until you need the timing chain. :shock:

- Mark
Was it still under warranty the first time?
There is a class action settlement against Mercedes Benz with something to do with emissions testing similar to VW. The settlement says I'll get all or major portion of over $3k; full amount if original owner doesn't file. But I have to go to dealership to have work down. I made appointment, they kept car 5 hours, and I was told the parts came in too late as it was a seven hour job. I made another appointment for the following week, it was confirmed, and then the day before, I was called and they said they didn't have the parts....hmmm
I haven't been happy with our two local Mercedes dealers.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 pm Guys you can't compare tuned vs stk anything.
I got to tell you BB, this stock 2020 PSD compares to any engine I’ve had tuned and deleted.
Used to be the sweet spot to get to with any high power tune was always upwards of 1,100 lbs. torque. This thing is there in stock form.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tuscany wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 am
I got to tell you BB, this stock 2020 PSD compares to any engine I’ve had tuned and deleted.
Used to be the sweet spot to get to with any high power tune was always upwards of 1,100 lbs. torque. This thing is there in stock form.
I agree it's crazy the torque these things are getting. Just wait till they put 4 electric mirrors song with it. Hang on baby!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

Krob1114 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:12 am
mdadgar wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 am
Krob1114 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am In the last six months I've had to replace the DPF sensor ($750), EGR valve ($1000), and thermostat ($800) on a Mercedes diesel. Before that the oil cooler ($2500). All this in addition to the normal maintenance.
I did the oil cooler 2x on mine in 110K miles. At least MBZ covered it the first time.

Wait until you need the timing chain. :shock:

- Mark
Was it still under warranty the first time?
It was just out of warranty but since it happened while we were fighting about warranty coverage on something else, they "goodwilled" it for me anyway.
There is a class action settlement against Mercedes Benz with something to do with emissions testing similar to VW. The settlement says I'll get all or major portion of over $3k; full amount if original owner doesn't file.
That is interesting! Thanks for the heads-ups.

It's such a bummer because I LOVED that car. It was just so eye-wateringly expensive to maintain.

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 am
Tuscany wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 am
I agree it's crazy the torque these things are getting. Just wait till they put 4 electric mirrors song with it. Hang on baby!
What is interesting is that my 20’ Ford doesn’t feel like any previous diesel once did. It feels like a super responsive gas engine in town, and a locomotive on a highway.

No more sluggish low end, no turbo lag
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I have the 2013 Mercedes ML 350 BlueTec diesel.
It's always been super responsive, great on mileage, great in town or highway, but too many things can go wrong with the turbo diesel.
We just took a trip to Central Florida, wife drove all the way because she wanted to, and it was great. I had a hard time keeping her under 95 mph.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Daniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Daniel »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Daniel wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:18 am Image
Nice choice. Has great towing capacities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Daniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Daniel »

Traded in 392 SRT for the hellcat version. Couldn’t pass up on the price they gave me for the trade. Hellcat at MSRP -2600
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Daniel wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:13 am Traded in 392 SRT for the hellcat version. Couldn’t pass up on the price they gave me for the trade. Hellcat at MSRP -2600
That's a steal. We didn't get one in yet. Been waiting. I want to drive one. The TRX was cool too drive.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
R6outboard
Commander
Commander

Post by R6outboard »

Doing more towing. Got out of this....

raptor.jpg

And into this.

IMG_3941.jpg

I am happy with the change up.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

R6outboard wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:44 pm Doing more towing. Got out of this....

raptor.jpg

And into this.

IMG_3941.jpg

I am happy with the change up.
I know a lot of the guys on here will be able to sleep at night now knowing your not towing with a half ton
CS23