Re: Here it goes again - 1999 Cobalt 292 Refresh

Post by baktasht »

Adjusted the trim level sender. Much easier than I thought it would be:

baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

My first time doing a thermostat on a Volvo Penta. Much simpler than I expected it to be. Hardest part was getting that little o-ring out that was jammed in there. Otherwise, fairly straight forward:

baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

Converted the transom storage area to a rear facing seat. Took a little bit of planning and some sewing. But I think it came out fantastic!! What do ya'll think of the final results?

Here's part 1 of the video:

baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

And here is part 2:

baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

Little cold front coming in Texas. Don't forget to drain your motors. This is how I do it on my 8.2GSi. Also, I found out why my impeller failed so quickly. Fast forward to 4:50 to see what came out of the manifold water plenum. Zebra mussels are evil.

baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

For the folks that were asking me a while back, how the Fox Marine Gateway displays on the Garmin Echomap UHD. Here ya go. Keep in mind that newer boats will have a lot more gauges displaying.

Here's the video:

-
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

That's awesome. I've been looking at Fox Marine for years. Does it read engine hours? You have mefi 1 I have 4 so that maybe the difference?
I like how you did the Garmin and fusion. I may want to switch my head unit some year but I really don't want to rewire it all again. What Garmin did you go with?
Again great job on everything.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Baktasht, I’ve got to give you credit for me finally - after 15 years of owning our 240 - being able to access the Merc 496 Mag engine data. While I did not end up with the Fox Marine Gateway, it caused me to review what my options were. I ended up with the Mercury VesselView Mobile.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... UTF8&psc=1

What happened to your old YouTube channel that I was subscribed to? I had to resubscribe to your new channel NKP Garage. Out of curiosity, what does the acronym NKP mean?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:47 am That's awesome. I've been looking at Fox Marine for years. Does it read engine hours? You have mefi 1 I have 4 so that maybe the difference?
I like how you did the Garmin and fusion. I may want to switch my head unit some year but I really don't want to rewire it all again. What Garmin did you go with?
Thanks bud!!

On the phone app it shows a LOT more information than on the Garmin, including engine hours as well. Here's a screenshot from last year when I installed it. This was with the engine off. I'll try and do a video of the phone app and go through what all it shows next time I'm out on the water.
Screenshot_20210930-155553.png
I'm not sure what all MEFI4 would show in comparison to mine, but I know with each generation of ECU more parameters are shown. I'm not a big audiophile, but the Fusion being integrated into the touchscreen was a huge plus for me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

Titaniumboy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:07 pm Baktasht, I’ve got to give you credit for me finally - after 15 years of owning our 240 - being able to access the Merc 496 Mag engine data. While I did not end up with the Fox Marine Gateway, it caused me to review what my options were. I ended up with the Mercury VesselView Mobile.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT ... UTF8&psc=1

What happened to your old YouTube channel that I was subscribed to? I had to resubscribe to your new channel NKP Garage. Out of curiosity, what does the acronym NKP mean?
I have heard VesselView is a fantastic setup as well. If I was on a powerplant that supported it I would have probably gone that route as well.

For some reason my old youtube channel was flagged and blocked over and over again. I'm not a youtube expert, and couldn't figure out what the issue was. I gave up on it finally and just started a new one. NKP are my wife's initials :D We used to have a business many years ago manufacturing performance automotive products in a few niche markets, and NKP was part of the business name as well. So it stuck over the years.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

baktasht wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:06 am
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:47 am That's awesome. I've been looking at Fox Marine for years. Does it read engine hours? You have mefi 1 I have 4 so that maybe the difference?
Thanks bud!!

On the phone app it shows a LOT more information than on the Garmin, including engine hours as well. Here's a screenshot from last year when I installed it. This was with the engine off. I'll try and do a video of the phone app and go through what all it shows next time I'm out on the water.

Screenshot_20210930-155553.png

I'm not sure what all MEFI4 would show in comparison to mine, but I know with each generation of ECU more parameters are shown. I'm not a big audiophile, but the Fusion being integrated into the touchscreen was a huge plus for me!
I agree the radio on the screen is a big plus.

Yes that's alot better data. That will help diag any issues.
Nicely done 👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

Installed a blue/white Lumitec Seablaze X2 on our Cobalt 292 yesterday. I'll have it out on the water tomorrow evening to see how bright it is in the water. Judging by the brightness on land, I think one will be enough for us.

Here's the install video:

-
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Great job. After watching this video, I might consider drilling a hole in my boat. Thanks for the details and explainations.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:19 am Great job. After watching this video, I might consider drilling a hole in my boat. Thanks for the details and explainations.
Thanks! The kids definitely have been enjoying night swimming with the new light installed
baktasht
Captain
Captain

Post by baktasht »

Pulled Coby (our Cobalt) from storage yesterday to de-winterize it and rinse it off. Hoping to get on the water with the kids sometime in March if work slows down.
Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 9.40.14 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.