Thinking of converting from Surge to EOH

bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Thinking of converting from Surge to EOH

Post by bruceb58 »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:21 pm
bruceb58 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:11 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:54 pm I like your prop spinning avatar Bb58!
LOL...I just found it! it is actually a Mercruiser GIF. I used to have a spinning prop on another boating site but it doesn't allow moving GIFs anymore so its just stuck.
Moving avatars unite!
Hopefully it doesn't drive people crazy!

It does allow me to find my previous posts in a thread easier.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

bruceb58 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:17 pm
thunder550 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:38 pmThe relays I added were before the EOH...that was a way to manually engage the reverse lockout on the surge brakes while not in reverse, so I could avoid dragging the brakes all the way down a hill while engine braking with the tow vehicle.
Normally, with an EOH, the brakes won't be applied while engine braking unless your foot is on the brake pedal at the same time. That's one reason why the EOH is so much better than surge...no dragging the trailer brakes going down a mountain while engine braking.
Correct...if you re-read my post, that relay setup was prior to me installing EOH. One of our local lakes has a several mile downhill run, probably 5-6% grade, into the marina. I've had issues with trailers in the past dragging the brakes all that way down that hill, heating up the hub, and blowing out seals due to increased pressure. In a previous vehicle, I wired in a switch with a diode to energize the trailer backup wire without backfeeding into the truck itself. This time around, I wanted it plug-and-play, so made a harness that could plug into the vehicle's 7 pin trailer plug, with a momentary trigger switch (rather than a toggle switch) to activate. It worked fine, but not long after I converter the trailer from surge to EOH, making the whole thing moot..
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

thunder550 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:37 amCorrect...if you re-read my post, that relay setup was prior to me installing EOH. One of our local lakes has a several mile downhill run, probably 5-6% grade, into the marina. I've had issues with trailers in the past dragging the brakes all that way down that hill, heating up the hub, and blowing out seals due to increased pressure. In a previous vehicle, I wired in a switch with a diode to energize the trailer backup wire without backfeeding into the truck itself. This time around, I wanted it plug-and-play, so made a harness that could plug into the vehicle's 7 pin trailer plug, with a momentary trigger switch (rather than a toggle switch) to activate. It worked fine, but not long after I converter the trailer from surge to EOH, making the whole thing moot..
Ah...I see it now. What threw me was "before EOH". I see it was "time" and not a physical distance thing. Now I also see the comment about surge.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

bruceb58 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:51 am
thunder550 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:37 amCorrect...if you re-read my post, that relay setup was prior to me installing EOH. One of our local lakes has a several mile downhill run, probably 5-6% grade, into the marina. I've had issues with trailers in the past dragging the brakes all that way down that hill, heating up the hub, and blowing out seals due to increased pressure. In a previous vehicle, I wired in a switch with a diode to energize the trailer backup wire without backfeeding into the truck itself. This time around, I wanted it plug-and-play, so made a harness that could plug into the vehicle's 7 pin trailer plug, with a momentary trigger switch (rather than a toggle switch) to activate. It worked fine, but not long after I converter the trailer from surge to EOH, making the whole thing moot..
Ah...I see it now. What threw me was "before EOH". I see it was "time" and not a physical distance thing. Now I also see the comment about surge.
Ahh I see what you were referring to also, makes sense why it was confusing. Relay inline before the EOH system. Lol.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

So, revisiting this thread--a couple of questions-

Which EOH? Seems Hydrastar and Brakerite (Dexter) are the tops

What did you do with the surge brake actuator---lock it out somehow (Bolt, weld--I have no welder) or replace?

You guys have convinced me to do this.

Thanks
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

sailor55330 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:57 pm So, revisiting this thread--a couple of questions-

What did you do with the surge brake actuator---lock it out somehow (Bolt, weld--I have no welder) or replace?

Thanks
Mine has a place to put a pin in the coupler so you can back it up without having the trailer lights connected. If yours doesn't have that, it might be easier to just swap on a new coupler?
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:19 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:57 pm So, revisiting this thread--a couple of questions-

Thanks
Mine has a place to put a pin in the coupler so you can back it up without having the trailer lights connected. If yours doesn't have that, it might be easier to just swap on a new coupler?
I honestly can't remember (don't have the boat out of storage yet) if there is a place for a pin. I think it only has the place for a side key. My gut is telling my I will need to replace, but I'm figuring my old one will be welded in by a master welder and my trailer tongue will be just different enough that it won't be a straight swap. That of course is based on years of do-it-yourself projects that always seem to go that way for me and end up stretching a 30 minute job into a 2 day affair.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

This is the first EOF system that I’ve ever ordered.
Truck/trailer brakes as one, without lag or any hesitation. So much safer.
I’ll never own another surge set up again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Thanks Tusc----I was leaning towards the Hydrastar as they seem to get really good reviews and they make a totally plug and play system so the only wiring is the 7pin connector... plus knowing how your trailer is built, they probably used the best they could find. It looks like that is the standard version, not the marine which is really made for Salt environments---any chance you can verify?

BTW--How is Miss Ellie doing?

Now, install it myself or have it done for $450......
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Thanks
Removed the guts and drilled a hole through the coupler and piece that slides. Put in a 5/8" grade 5 bolt

Make sure you measure voltage at the unit when you get it installed to make sure the vehicle can supply the required current. Mine had so much voltage drop, I wired up separate power.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

So I decided to get a quote today from literally one of highest rated and very reputable trailer service shops in my area and possibly the state. Here's what they told me and to be honest, it surprised me a little (all was done to compare my own findings and value of my time).

1. They recommended Dexter over Hydrastar, which is the exact opposite of what my research says (they would do either though)
2. My swing tongue would need to be cut off and a fixed tongue put in place. The rational was to be able to correctly mount a new coupler. They did say they could put a spot weld on the current coupler where the lockout key normally goes, but didn't recommend it. Now, I understand the swing tongue might an issue if the EOH unit is installed on it and affected the brake lines, but if it's on a stationary part of the trailer like Tuscany.....what am I missing?

The shop labor rate was $125 and they claimed to need 5 hours to do all of this. With just the parts and install, they are quoting $1937.....ouch. Parts alone are about $1000. This still leaves me with an unpainted tongue that has been cut and welded on. Oh, and first available appointment is the middle of June. Now I know I can source the parts cheaper, but they have me wondering about the swing tongue part and coupler

Has anyone ever heard you can't convert a swing tongue EOH brakes? In all of my research, I've not found that piece of info.
CaptBob
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptBob »

I ordered our trailer with the EoH and a swing tongue. The brake lines go through the swing. There wasn't a problem with that. I wonder if they don't have enough real estate on the tongue for the new coupler and the EoH controller without deleting the swing. That's a bit hard to swallow since it really doesn't take up that much room. In hindsight our swing really doesn't do much. Our winch is so far forward, it negates most of what the swing gains.
eohswing.jpg
swingbrakeline.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Capt Bob
Admiral Elaine
Currently a whole lot less Boatless, Now have possession of a new R5!
2020 R5 6.2 350 HP Merc
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Makes no sense that you can't put it on what you have. Have a picture of your coupler?
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Makes no sense to me either. I don’t have a pic of the coupler but it’s a basic UFP a-75 surge coupler.

It would seem to me that who would put less stress on a tongue than surge brakes
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

sailor55330 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am Thanks Tusc----I was leaning towards the Hydrastar as they seem to get really good reviews and they make a totally plug and play system so the only wiring is the 7pin connector... plus knowing how your trailer is built, they probably used the best they could find. It looks like that is the standard version, not the marine which is really made for Salt environments---any chance you can verify?

BTW--How is Miss Ellie doing?

Now, install it myself or have it done for $450......
This was the option that LM offered. I can’t verify, but it has been underwater many times. Looks sealed tight. If you plan of keeping the trailer, it’ll be money well spent. The install looks like something I would leave up to someone else, mostly because I’m getting lazy LOL.

Ellie is doing great. We just returned from her first trip to the Florida get-a-way. I think she loved it, but was confused doing her “thing” on the spongy Florida grass.. She rather poop in the street.😂
She did better than expected in an under seat carrier on the plane. Still 14 lbs of sass...🤣
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine