R3 or R3 Surf, To Surf or not to Surf

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: R3 or R3 Surf, To Surf or not to Surf

Post by Southernboatman »

These are the surf tabs I referred to...anyone know feedback while on the surf topic?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Where I can't see them🤣

Did you get a picture of A7's boat landing with the flaps down. I knew he would be up to something on his retirement just not this soon. Lol.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

If that doesn’t plant the aft down for a big wake I don’t know what will. Or land a plane softly.
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Boy, you guys are right....looks just like a pair of airplane flaps. Strap a jet engine onto that thing and I’ll fly it! :mrgreen:
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 pm Boy, you guys are right....looks just like a pair of airplane flaps. Strap a jet engine onto that thing and I’ll fly it! :mrgreen:
Where's your drawing skills now t55555550000000🤣
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
loveoutdoors
Ensign
Ensign

Post by loveoutdoors »

Time for an update, I dont know if BobRae99 has been following my wife and I around but as it turns out at the suggestion of a friend this past week we have ridden a couple of pontoons, a couple or Sea Rays and after drooling over the Cobalt R3 for several summers we finally took a ride on a NEW R3. As far as the Bowrider goes in our opinion the New Cobalt R3 has a much better ride than the Sea-Ray SLX 230 or 250. My issue right now is while my wife loved the R3 she also enjoyed the Pontoons. Im like sweetheart we have been trying to decide how much wake we needed we have not been discussing a NO Wake option. So the New Boat discussion continues. I certainly hope that at some point I will be posting a picture of my New R3. That said it nay become a Used R3 if I have to add a Pontoon to our list of toys. lol. Thanks again for the input. Have a Super fantastic Day.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

loveoutdoors wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 pm As far as the Bowrider goes in our opinion the New Cobalt R3 has a much better ride than the Sea-Ray SLX 230 or 250.

This one kind of surprises me a bit. I would have thought the SeaRay would be just as nice.

My issue right now is while my wife loved the R3 she also enjoyed the Pontoons. Im like sweetheart I talked to TR and if we get a poontoon everyone will think we are renting it or our boat is broke down again.

That said it may become a Used R3 if I have to add a Pontoon to our list of toys. lol. Thanks again for the input. Have a Super fantastic Day.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
loveoutdoors
Ensign
Ensign

Post by loveoutdoors »

This one kind of surprises me a bit. I would have thought the SeaRay would be just as nice. My wife and I think the Sea Ray is a beautiful boat but just like someone may think a Ford truck rides the best and someone else thinks the Chevy rides the best. Our perception was the R3 took the wakes we crossed smoother than the SeaRay and gave a overall smoother ride.
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Tuscany wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:24 am There are always trade offs. I’d love a Formula 350 Crossover parked on a coastal Florida Home, but I’m not a member of the lucky sperm club. ..😂
+1 ....some day please...
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

loveoutdoors wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:07 pm This one kind of surprises me a bit. I would have thought the SeaRay would be just as nice. My wife and I think the Sea Ray is a beautiful boat but just like someone may think a Ford truck rides the best and someone else thinks the Chevy rides the best. Our perception was the R3 took the wakes we crossed smoother than the SeaRay and gave a overall smoother ride.
Resale will be considerably better with the cobalt. Just something else to consider
"The Mistress"
GaBoiler83
Ensign
Ensign

Post by GaBoiler83 »

I am also new to the forum and just bought a new 2018 R3 Surf in Jan. Have had it on our lake, Chatuge in the N GA mountains. Had a Yamaha 242 Ltd S and loved it. No issues with the lake depth as we keep in on a lift. As far as the surf, its awesome. We had 9 people on it this weekend with from no experience to little experience and all got up and had a ball. Its very low impact and kids to old adults like myself can enjoy it. I don't think its a fad with the varied skill levels being able to enjoy being on the water. I would not tell a friend to stay away from a surf boat, quite the opposite. Surfs up bro!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

No way its a fad. Its WAY too popular and everyone i hear from whos tried it loves it. The only reason id say stay away is if you truly desperately need the storage or if youd use it on a lake with impassable waterways as a result of the forward drive. Id own one if the price point wasnt just out of reach. I was pushing my limits already with the boat i bought. And i didnt want to go smaller than an R7.
"The Mistress"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

GaBoiler83 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:50 pm I am also new to the forum and just bought a new 2018 R3 Surf in Jan. Have had it on our lake, Chatuge in the N GA mountains. Had a Yamaha 242 Ltd S and loved it. No issues with the lake depth as we keep in on a lift. As far as the surf, its awesome. We had 9 people on it this weekend with from no experience to little experience and all got up and had a ball. Its very low impact and kids to old adults like myself can enjoy it. I don't think its a fad with the varied skill levels being able to enjoy being on the water. I would not tell a friend to stay away from a surf boat, quite the opposite. Surfs up bro!
Welcome from Wisconsin!
Did I miss pictures in the new member section?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thebobcarter
Ensign
Ensign

Post by thebobcarter »

SURF! we just bought a red 2018 r3 surf from Rambo marine and love it. We used it at martin a few weeks ago and had a great time. The shallow beach areas do make me nervous...but no different than with my old cobalt with the normal duo prop. Its a great all around boat the wake board, surf, knee board, or go all out 50mph on. It rides great and looks incredible. Id do it all over again 100%
loveoutdoors
Ensign
Ensign

Post by loveoutdoors »

Wow, thebobcarter is after my heart, Red R3, love it, I am currently searching for a used Red WSS 2014 or 2015 with duo prop. I have one of the Lake Martin NO water in winter homes and about 8 feet during full pool so I am still struggling with the forward drive idea. Congratulation on your R3 Surf.
Also to thebobcarter I just noticed that you just joined so Welcome and thank you so much for the comments.