Mackinaw Island

(IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI)
Cycleman6
Captain
Captain

Mackinaw Island

Post by Cycleman6 »

Anybody ever taken their boat to Mackinaw Island? We are going up for Vacation in July and staying at my Aunts cottage in Cedarville. Planning on taking the boat over to the island for a day to visit.
2018 R5 (SOLD)
6.2L VP 380HP
Ordering R4 SURF
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mackinaw Island

Post by Big Block Power »

We were just talking about this the other day. We said we would have to bring extra pair of shoes for everyone to leave on the dock because they are not coming back in the boat. The boat would smell like horse crap forever. Nope I won't be going back there anytime soon. The smell is terrible. I can go to a farm a block away if that's what I want to smell and see. Sorry. Not a fan. Yes a good boat ride though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

I made that trip out of Cheboygan in a 22' boat 10 years ago, watched weather closely and used Bois Blanc to block wind.
From Cedarville,( I've never been there), looks like a lot of open water to cross.

Mackinaw Island-docking was not good there, tie up to other boats and climb across them to reach ladder to climb up dock, if someone departs while your gone they have to move your boat and retie, plus I think they charged us 30.00 for that experience
I'm not a fan of Tourist Traps so we didn't spend much time there, we did cruise under the bridge, that made the trip worthwhile.

I've never been to Cedarville but have been interested in the Les Cheneaux Islands, how is the boating there?
Cycleman6
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycleman6 »

vans wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:59 am I made that trip out of Cheboygan in a 22' boat 10 years ago, watched weather closely and used Bois Blanc to block wind.
From Cedarville,( I've never been there), looks like a lot of open water to cross.

Mackinaw Island-docking was not good there, tie up to other boats and climb across them to reach ladder to climb up dock, if someone departs while your gone they have to move your boat and retie, plus I think they charged us 30.00 for that experience
I'm not a fan of Tourist Traps so we didn't spend much time there, we did cruise under the bridge, that made the trip worthwhile.

I've never been to Cedarville but have been interested in the Les Cheneaux Islands, how is the boating there?
Boating is absoutely beautiful up there, but water usually pretty chilly. We have rented a slip at the State Dock Marina, I think about $50, so hopefully no reason to untie boat. We are planning on just going over in morning, having some culture and experience, and then head back that evening. My aunt said it's about a 30-45 minute boat ride. Yes, if wind comes up in afternoon, she said you can get stuck over there, as waves are really rough.
2018 R5 (SOLD)
6.2L VP 380HP
Ordering R4 SURF
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Cycleman6 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:15 pm
vans wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:59 am I made that trip out of Cheboygan in a 22' boat 10 years ago, watched weather closely and used Bois Blanc to block wind.

Boating is absoutely beautiful up there, but water usually pretty chilly. We have rented a slip at the State Dock Marina, I think about $50, so hopefully no reason to untie boat. We are planning on just going over in morning, having some culture and experience, and then head back that evening. My aunt said it's about a 30-45 minute boat ride. Yes, if wind comes up in afternoon, she said you can get stuck over there, as waves are really rough.
Sounds like fun. Yes it can get ugly in a hurry. I still would say bring extra shoes with you that you don't want back.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 pm
Sounds like fun. Yes it can get ugly in a hurry. I still would say bring extra shoes with you that you don't want back.
I never needed extra shoes. You must have been there during the shitty season.😁

And yes, it can get rough in a hurry.
https://youtu.be/DYplmKIqczI
2018 r5
2003 220
Red Stripe
Commander
Commander

Post by Red Stripe »

I know this is an old post but just stumbled across it. We made this trip last summer and parked at the Pink Pony. It was free if we ate there and could stay as long as we like. It was not a good idea since you are in a direct path to the ferries coming in and out and our boat was slammed into the dock on more that one occasion. Thankfully the only thing that we had to replace was the rub rail.

Watch close and pay attention to the big boats coming in and out before you decide where to dock, even the boats in the marina were getting thrown around.

IM me if you have not made the trip and would like more information. I do plan to make the trip again but I will be cautious on where I dock. Also, if you get a chance to go through the locks in Cheboygan and take the river to Mullett Lake you will not be disappointed.
Red Stripe
"If it was easy everyone would do it"
Cobalt 263
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

He's actually there now. Good info though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!