2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Re: 2004 250 Project Thread

Post by slideruleracer »

Thanks guys. Wish the engine was running perfect... :-( To that end, it bummed me out to tear into my nice clean built engine, but I really wanted to solve this low vacuum problem before splashing the boat next week.. I pulled the intake tonight and started on the valve covers. Tomorrow, I'm going to check as best I can without pulling the timing cover off to check the valve timing and also double check the valve lash.. Then I'm going to reassemble the intake in case there was an intake leak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

In good news, I did finish spraying the bottom of the swim platform paint. Awlcraft 2000 in Blue Glow White. Came out pretty good. The top is getting painted on Thursday morning. Then, I'll get it back on the boat next Tuesday before hauling the boat up to the lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Ok, forecast was for rain tomorrow, so I came home from work a little early and sprayed the top this afternoon. It's not my best paint job, but it was the first time I sprayed awlgrip, so I'll take it. There's a handful of blems in the paint, most of which will be covered by the Aquamarinedeck.
2004 250
502 Gxi
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

I also setup the camper cover for the first time since we've owned the boat tonight. I hoped it might make it so I could work on the boat at night, but because of where the access doors are it would be a little tricky in my driveway. Still cool, though - it doesn't look like it's been used a heckuva lot over its 14 years. The fit is a little off because the bimini poles were a bit bent when I bought the boat and though I tried to straighten them out as best I could last summer, they probably aren't exactly as they were when new.
2004 250
502 Gxi
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Last update for tonight.. At this moment it appears that the cam & timing chain are installed correctly. However, I have some reservations about the valve lash method described in the manual. When I do it the way the manual describes, it appears that the valves are opening about 0.1" when they should be closed. So that is an interesting problem because I did use different heads.. Now I'm wondering if the heads I used were supposed to be used with different pushrod lengths? Hmm.. Time to start googling..
2004 250
502 Gxi
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

You got a lot goin' on there SRR. Trust you can track this bugger down & bring her back to health. Thank you for the update along with pics.
...and nice selfie! :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Sorry for the repost, as I also put this in the electronics sub - forum, but check out the mod I made to my courtesy lights and my underwater lights. I installed a microcontroller programmable solid state relay to allow me to delay the shut off of my courtesy lights and also my underwater lights. When I'm covering the boat at night on the mooring, I use the interior lights to help me see, but on more than one occasion I have forgotten to shut off the lights before I finished putting the cover on and then I have to undo the cover and climb back in. Well, I setup this relay to allow me to delay the off for 5 minutes. Additionally, I set it up to pwm the on and off so the lights dim on and off, like a car's courtesy lights.

I also put one on the underwater lights to light up the swim platform and water while I swim back to shore (without the pwm as the relay wouldn't like it) . This is going to be sweet!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bbMuFvYygsNddv9y8
2004 250
502 Gxi
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

You, sir, are just brilliant!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Well, between Friday, Saturday and Sunday I have about 18 hours into the wetsanding, buff, polish and wax. I just finished. Phew. And on the hottest day of the year no less. But it's finished. Looks pretty good.
2004 250
502 Gxi
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

All that's left is a little cleaning, reassemble the swim platform and install it on the boat, and then add the Aquamarine Deck - I decided to go ahead and put it on now. The paint may not be fully cured, but I figure it should hold up to a big sticker. The swim platform would be too slippery otherwise, I think. Plan is to head up to the lake Tuesday as soon as I get those tasks finished. Fingers crossed that the engine concerns will abate after breaking in the rings...
2004 250
502 Gxi
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Looking good.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Nothing like the legendary shine of a freshly buffed and waxed Cobalt. Looks great.

Thank you for the opportunity to watch as you dove in, dismantled, reassembled and brought this beast back to glory! Now let's see her in the water.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!