Admiral
Admiral

Re: Storage

Post by cmattj »

On hoist

Mooring cover goes on . Half cover stored

Plug boat for chargers and bilge heater that comes on 50 deg

Pull carpet

Seperate cord on night timer I run my fan asperated heater on low same cord to a 60 watt bulb clamped with metal shroud and catch bucket below in the center of the boat.

Add a frisbee sliced for the electric cords to run through so no river rats can visit( learned that from the ships on the lines)

No mold.. no mildew.. stays 62 degrees with low humidity.
Service December or march.

This winter I'll try the winter canvas for some travel with the cabin heater.

Ohh now I'm adding drier sheets as that makes sence to tryout.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:24 pm
Driller wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:02 pm Leave mine in the slip on the boat lift with the mooring cover on. Water temp stays about 60 deg in the winter and I have it winterized when summer is over. Thinking early December this year.
I see so many used boats from Texas with new engines in them. I can't believe that so many people don't winterize down there. It gets cold. I got a bilge heater from one of my boats from Texas. They relied just on that. No way not me.
Yep, they rely a lot on bilge heaters. Then an ice storm comes thru and takes out the power lines. Bad news. That's not a chance I am willing to take when it will only cost a few bucks to winterize.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

I've been storing boats at local fairground for a long time
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Hackster that is a beautiful boat!

I need to get a new cover made for my 262. I just dont like the snap on bow and cockpit covers at all... She's still at the lake for a couple more weeks. We're going back on the 5th for a music jam and one last weekend on the water, weather permitting, then I'll bring her home.

During the summer the boat stays on a lift, and then in the fall in a covered dry storage after it's detailed and winterized. But this one won't fit in the storage slip, so I'm bringing her home. Going to build a shed or carport type cover to put her in.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Ytmsn wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:39 am Hackster that is a beautiful boat!

I need to get a new cover made for my 262. I just dont like the snap on bow and cockpit covers at all... She's still at the lake for a couple more weeks. We're going back on the 5th for a music jam and one last weekend on the water, weather permitting, then I'll bring her home.

During the summer the boat stays on a lift, and then in the fall in a covered dry storage after it's detailed and winterized. But this one won't fit in the storage slip, so I'm bringing her home. Going to build a shed or carport type cover to put her in.
What will that run vs shrink wrap? I am contemplating having a winter cover made next year vs shrink wrap. A winter cover will cost ~$900 vs $250 to shrink wrap. It might last 5 winters. I have Mobil guy that will do shrink for $9/ft. We don't get the type of snow they get in Cleveland down here in Columbus. I just like the idea that critters can't get in the boat with shrink....so I am hesitant.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yt I'm surprised you don't like your bow and cockpit cover. I love mine over my factory mooring cover. Much easier to install when the boat is in the water. My mooring cover is a beast. On dry land that's a different story. Then the mooring cover is easier to put on. But adding and installing the spider poles in the boat are a pain too.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I've had covers in the last that were a pain, but where I get these made they are really nice. The fabric is sumbrella type material so its light but durable and it's fitted so no need for poles, the rain just runs off. Snow would be a different story though, so I want to get an equipment shed up. I should have already built one but I've been at the lake every weekend for over 2 months now. And no that not a complaint!
20170328_193142.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

Ha! My brother and I are building the warehouse/office for our own use. The project manager we choose has not been the best. He's a master of excuses, but I am letting my brother take the lead leaving my role mostly silent oversight. :). After we received project costs 30% more than projected, we made the PM break everything out and push back on the quotes. Long story short, the concrete should go in next week. We have had to comb over everything to make sure it is right. The office space is about 1300 Sq ft and the warehouse space is 3800 Sq ft. So, it looks like I will keep my boat and skis in the back drive again. I hope we can be in the space by April. It will be nice once it is ready, but it sure has taken a long time to get all the pieces moving.
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

vans wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:57 am I've been storing boats at local fairground for a long time

+1

Not heated but the price is right at $300 for 6 months. That's close to 10 bucks a foot.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

I have a 40 x 60 metal barn with concrete floor. Has water & electric but is not heated so I do winterize.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Mine is staying in my third stall where it always sits. Garage is not heated yet. I insulated the ceiling last year and it never got below 40 in there. The walls were done when we built it. I may get a furnace installed one of these days. I still winterize it. I have bilge heater just use it for a space heater if i feel like doing something in it. But it doesn't turn on till it gets to 40 degrees. So I guess I don't use it and I don't work on it.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I took out my boat cover today just to see how everything goes together and have a question. The cover came with 3 adjustable poles each with a snap on top. But I see no snaps on the cover ? Am I missing a support strap or something? And why 3 poles ? Should I have patches with snaps sewed to the cover ?
OK. That's more than 1 question.
2018 r5
2003 220
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Cover poles have snaps or holes..
The pole end snap plastic head can be pulled out and can be flipped to have the poke through version.

My day cover has two poles..
My mooring has 6

I like snaps because gust of wind don't drop the poles and then a rain storm won't drain inside either if you left a pole out
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

B the 220 comes with three poles for some reason from the factory. Two in the rear. I think your front ones have white straps they go to the front cleats then black over the windshield and the other two go to the side I think grab handles and one to the engine lift handle. That just about covers it. I don't think I have a picture of it though but I'll check. They kind of have it on you tube though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Thanks BB,
That's want I thought but I dont see any straps.
2018 r5
2003 220