Volvo Penta recall notice

Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Volvo Penta recall notice

Post by Alaskabound »

May not affect anyone else but I received a notice from Volvo informing me of a Quality Campaign, Q0107. This involves replacement of the exhaust temperature sensors for VP engines. They have discovered in some installations the sensors may have an internal failure. This causes the alarm to sound when the key is turned on. VP will replace with improved temp sensors to correct this situation. There is a service bulletin 38-6-108. On VP website you can enter your engine serial # to see if your engine is affected. You likely got a letter if it is but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

My.engine is the v6 280 4.3 liter gen 5 in a 2017 220s. I actually had my engine alarm go on when I turned the key on but didn't know why. I'm assuming in an overheat situation that the alarm may not work.

This is going to be somewhat of a problem for me as my dealer has closed permanently & there is only one Authorized Volvo dealer in Louisville area. They weren't too receptive but said they would order the parts. They gave me the old "since you didn't buy it here" line & that they had 250 boats that wanted in the water by Memorial Day. I may have to try other Cobalt dealers but will need to drive several hours. Of course, I didn't buy from them either but they may give me a break. In any event, thought this info may help someone else.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Volvo Penta recall notice

Post by sailor55330 »

Good Info. Thank you.

If your local dealer doesn't want to deal with warranty work, I'd call Kenosha and let the mother ship know.....but I have to be honest, I don't know if that would help. I didn't have much luck on an inquiry.
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

If Stokley's doesn't want your business there is Lodder's in Cinci...I know its a haul but when we talked to them at the Cinci boat show about no longer having The Boating Center close by they were more than happy to offer their services should we need anything. I think they also have a dealership in Indy...or somewhere close...Good Luck!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Just by chance I don't think they will do it but ask them to ship it to you and you will ship it back to them?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Yeh think I'll try Stokleys first, mainly because I lived in Lexington & know where they are located. Arnold's did say they would order the parts but I just had the feeling I was going to the end of the line. And, when I filled out a "new purchase" survey with Cobalt, I commented about hoping someone would pick up the dealership. Their response back was that there was a dealer close by, in Lexington, so I guess that's the home dealer in their mind. And good idea on Lodders. Like Stokleys, they've been around forever. Thanks

Dub
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Bb I could try that. But think I need to have a dealer order & install because of warranty

Dub
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Alaskabound wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:46 pm Bb I could try that. But think I need to have a dealer order & install because of warranty

Dub
I'm sure but it's worth a try. Are there any other dealers around that service Volvo. You don't have to go to a cobalt dealer.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:59 pm
Alaskabound wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:46 pm Bb I could try that. But think I need to have a dealer order & install because of warranty

Dub
I'm sure but it's worth a try. Are there any other dealers around that service Volvo. You don't have to go to a cobalt dealer.
BB is right. Any Volvo authorized Dealer whom performs warranty work for Volvo will bill direct for the recall work. (They will actually make money on the repair) :mrgreen:
Or your Servicing Dealer can order the items and schedual it later at your or end of season as it doesn't appear to be anything more than a alarm range issue which as long as it not active it wont reduce power.

Don't let it hold up your season Pal..
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

When I said dealer, I meant authorized Volvo dealer, of which there is only one in Louisville. They said they would order the part but I probably have to go to the end of the repair line.I will call the Cobalt dealer in Lexington tomorrow & let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.

Dub,
Cycleman6
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycleman6 »

Stokley's is my local dealer, and while I've purchased two Cobalt's from them, they are awesome to deal with. In fact, often the owner Ralph will answer the phone. If you have any problems with them let me know and I'll see if I can help at all. I know Ralph and the manager relatively well.
2018 R5 (SOLD)
6.2L VP 380HP
Ordering R4 SURF
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

C6, thanks for the offer. I don't know Ralph but remember Jim Stokley (the dad I guess) and his wife that ran the place back in the late 70's. The guy I worked for then bought a brand new Arrowglass from them and made me realize I had to have a boat. The rest is history, as they say. Thanks again.

Dub
chrisjrockwell
Commander
Commander

Post by chrisjrockwell »

I've dealt with Stokley's and Lodder's in the past and they were both excellent. I know sometimes they are reluctant to work on boats from other "territories" but can usually be talked into it. C6, AB, and NG... I heard the dealer at Lake Cumberland lost his Cobalt dealership? What happened? Doesn't sound like there is a replacement there in the works.
"Nessie"
2011 Cobalt A25
Lake Cumberland, KY
Columbus, Ohio
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Chris, I thought Lake Cumberland Marine was Cobalt dealer but getting on the cobalt website, they list Stokleys as the closest dealer when a Somerset zip code is entered. So I have no idea. Our dealer in Louisville was owned by 2 guys for 15 years or so & they simply wanted to retire. So, I guess it is Stokleys or Lodders. I put in a call to Stokleys today but haven't heard back yet.

I can tell you that I've had service at Lake C. Marine before and was very pleased although I guess they can't perform warranty work.

Dub
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Chris, I thought Lake Cumberland Marine was Cobalt dealer but getting on the cobalt website, they list Stokleys as the closest dealer when a Somerset zip code is entered. So I have no idea. Our dealer in Louisville was owned by 2 guys for 15 years or so & they simply wanted to retire. So, I guess it is Stokleys or Lodders. I put in a call to Stokleys today but haven't heard back yet.

I can tell you that I've had service at Lake C. Marine before and was very pleased although I guess they can't perform warranty work.

Dub
chrisjrockwell
Commander
Commander

Post by chrisjrockwell »

@Dub - looks like Lake Cumberland Marine lists Malibu but not Cobalt on their website.
"Nessie"
2011 Cobalt A25
Lake Cumberland, KY
Columbus, Ohio