R5 advice?

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Flash33
Ensign
Ensign

R5 advice?

Post by Flash33 »

Hello-

I'm new to boating and new to Cobalt. Was wondering what advice you all would have about essential and/ or desired options/ features to get on a new R5? Also are there any things to avoid? Appreciate the input and thanks in advance.
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Re: R5 advice?

Post by Soonerfan »

Welcome, to the forum. Be careful what you ask for as I found this forum last fall in search of advice on ordering my new R7. The wonderful folks on here graciously offered to help my spend my money by adding option after option that I hadn't even considered. :D

Seriously, for me I would get all the options that I can afford and rank them in order of what can I add later if I need to. Then get the ones from the factory that are more difficult to add aftermarket if you can't afford everything now.

On my R7 here are a couple of the options (in no particular order) I have found very useful since getting her.

Rudder Indicator - I am coming from an outboard so this has been awesome to have and very cheap.
Rear filler cushion - really fills out the back with some extra room for the loungers and watching the surfers.
380HP - I would recommend this as it's almost impossible to add later.
Battery Maintenance Charger - self explanatory
Mooring Cover - Nice coverage and easy on and off
Windlass - might be overkill on the R5 but I love mine.
Cruise control GPS - love this for pulling tubes, surfers, wakeboarders, and general cruising.
RGB lighting and whichever stereo option that comes with RGB speakers - Just because it looks great and you will want it later

I am sure others will chime in but the options I listed above are definetly ones I would order again. The only thing so far that I didn't order that I think I might have liked to have is the motorbox actuator. Good luck you are about to embark on an awesome adventure!
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Get the umbrella and table kits 😉

But seriously get the biggest engine you can afford.

Arch? I think they look damn cool.

Agree with sooner get the upgraded stereo. It sounds pretty damn good.

RBG lighting for interior. Looks awesome if you do any dusk or night cruising. Hell even on a cloudy day.

Sea dek carpet if thats even considered an option anymore.

Pump out head. I know many people dont use...but if you do its much easier to justify letting someone use it if you can just pump it out.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Set a budget, and select your options by prioritizing. By the time you are done, your budget will probably be shot.🤣
Everyone has a different idea of what’s important, what’s nice and what’s necessary.
I agree with TR, the VP380 is a must. After that, it’s what makes your normal boat outing the most enjoyable for YOU.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

I initially didn’t order the electric power arch for my R5 Surf but the dealer talked me into it and I’m damn glad I have it. I use it every time I pull in and out of the lift and it allows me to leave the Bimini top intact except for the two quick release bracket at the stern side of the top. I opted for the 380 engine at it’s got plenty of power, I certainly wouldn’t want less when it’s full of people and/or 2100 lbs. of ballast.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from Wisconsin. Can't wait to see your order. As mmmmmnnnn boater says the 380 would be the min so who gets the min now says. I would get the 430 and also in a dreamsicle color. It's helps for resale in 10 years and I don't have top fight off the Nauti's!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Until I win the lotto I dont see us being in a position to order new, but if we were....

Order the stuff now that you cant add later. The upgraded stereo is nice I am sure, but so is the big V8. You can always add amps and upgrade speakers later, a power plant swap is not impossible but....you get what I am saying.

As Tuscany said I would prioritize what you want and then add until you are out of budget. Put stuff you cant add later at the top of the list then work backwards to stuff you could do yourself.
  • No one ever has said I have too much HP so I would start w/ engine - VP wins my money right now, the 6.2 is a damn good engine. Go 380hp
  • Tower next we thought we would hate it but turns out they are pretty awesome. We dont wakeboard but the tower makes grabbing the boat when docking so much easier. Also is great for speakers, drying towels, and it makes the bimini much easier to put up.
  • Captains Call b/c now that we have it Katie will never not have it. She loves waking up the marina when we put the boat in.
  • For $250 I would add the rudder indicator.
  • I would most likely do a stereo package /w at least a set of tower speakers and transom speakers. Yes they could be added later but I would rather let cobalt cut into the transom and run wires through the tower at the factory.
  • Docking lights are cool and a signature cobalt look but I dont know if I am totally in love /w the new ones. Your call there
  • Transom Tilt Switch - another cheap addition that is nice to have. Can be added later but again you are drilling into the boat to do it
  • Do the Battery Switch /w the ACR Especially if you like to anchor up in coves and use your nice stereo you added in bullet point 5
  • Since I get anchor duty I would love a Windlass - but for $4,500 it would be one of the first things I would cut depending on budget
  • Battery Maintainer is nice - but we dont have electric at our storage facility. Depending on where you keep the boat it may be easier to just pull the batteries at the end of the season and keep them on a maintainer at your home.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I think flash was chased away back in june.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Sad - I just saw it bumped...all that typing and pretty list for nothing.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am Sad - I just saw it bumped...all that typing and pretty list for nothing.

Still great info though for our forum, NG. R5 owner's (& seekers) as well as Cobalt boat buyers will appreciate it. Certainly won't go to waste. Thank you for the time you put into that!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I could be wrong, and someone please correct me if I am..
I think the rudder indicator has its own screen, which removes one of the stock Garmins.
Absolutely NO chance I remove the features on the left screen. The right screen is boat telemetry. The left screen? It does everything. Shows GPS depth, bread trails, and a gadzillion other things to choose from.

You know, when you order, there are so many things you can't do without. It becomes very expensive after just a few options. When you add in everything a person needs, and your R5 soon MSRPs for about 180k. 😳
Going in, I just wanted a nice used boat that was bigger than our 23' Chap.
Of course, my Chaparral dealer was a new Cobalt dealer. One look, and it was over.
Our original thought was to upgrade somewhere around 60k. You know, we do live in the frozen north where summer is the best "day" of the year.🤣
We ended up at almost 160k. MSRP.
Size and power were my top must haves. When your boat only has single engine propulsion , IMO, the 380 is the bare minimum.

Once you start getting into 180k for a relatively small boat, you will find your priorities, and cut the things that are not really necessary to your interests.
Last edited by Tuscany on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 am
NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 am Sad - I just saw it bumped...all that typing and pretty list for nothing.

Still great info though for our forum, NG. R5 owner's (& seekers) as well as Cobalt boat buyers will appreciate it. Certainly won't go to waste. Thank you for the time you put into that!

When the Next R5 shopper simply Googles for advice. this is what happens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Tuscany wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:58 am I could be wrong, and someone please correct me if I am..
I think the rudder indicator has its own screen, which removes one of the stock Garmins.
Absolutely NO chance I remove the features on the left screen. The right screen is boat telemetry. The left screen? It does everything. Shows GPS depth, bread trails, and a gadzillion other things to choose from.

You know, when you order, there are so many things you can't do without. It becomes very expensive after just a few options. When you add in everything a person needs, and your R5 soon MSRPs for about 180k. 😳
Going in, I just wanted a nice used boat that was bigger than our 23' Chap.
Of course, my Chaparral dealer was a new Cobalt dealer. One look, and it was over.
Our original thought was to upgrade somewhere around 60k. You know, we do live in the frozen north where summer is the best "day" of the year.🤣
We ended up at almost 160k. MSRP.
Size and power were my top must haves. When your boat only has single engine propulsion , IMO, the 380 is the bare minimum.

Once you start getting into 180k for a relatively small boat, you will find your priorities, and cut the things that are not really necessary to your interests.

T I have a feeling this is going to be me when I decide to upgrade in a few years. Heck I already did that with my 262. We just bought our lake home last fall and we’ll we were un sure how much we would use it. So we set a price of 25k for a boat and we’ll i blew that budget with the 262. So needless to say I need to keep the 262 until I’m prepared to order a new 27ish ft Cobalt. Whatever they decide to call it at that time 😀
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Flash was on viewing on June 13, so got the benefit of the advice offered. Cmattj, it is fun to see our forum show up at the top of search results, isn't it?

I've never had an inkling to wakeboard, but am glad I got the arch (white powder coated aluminum folding with bimini) and the big V8 and duoprop in my little 210. Most other things, as they say, can be upgraded or added at a later date.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

T I have a feeling this is going to be me when I decide to upgrade in a few years. Heck I already did that with my 262. We just bought our lake home last fall and we’ll we were un sure how much we would use it. So we set a price of 25k for a boat and we’ll i blew that budget with the 262. So needless to say I need to keep the 262 until I’m prepared to order a new 27ish ft Cobalt. Whatever they decide to call it at that time 😀
OOOHHHhh yeah, its gonna get you too!...Whatcha gonna do TG, right?.... :lol:
Life is short, and Cobalt makes a damn fine boat. :D
There are so many "have to have" mechanical and electrical things.. If we don't get them, the world goes dark and stops spinning around the Sun... :lol:
Bright side? Your 262 will bring premium bucks back when you are ready to trade her in.

John, your son will be up on a board before you know it!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine