Hello from Missouri

JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Hello from Missouri

Post by JTinMO »

New member on here. Trying to get into the game, seemingly at the wrong time. We are a family of 4, with 2 girls below the age of 10. We have a small boat now and have severely outgrown it. We boat on local lakes and Lake of the Ozarks for the occasional vacation. We trailer and tow the boat, and need to do so going forward until the gods shine down and allow us financially to get a lake house.

So we are looking actively for a Cobalt in the 23' range. We checked out the new 220S, CS22, CS3. All fine boats, but something keeps drawing me back to the style of the 232's, or even a 242. The new models seem to be shorter, and less freeboard than the 232/242s. Maybe it's all an illusion. So looking for advice from you all fine folks. I have to believe that the additional freeboard on the 232/242s would be much better for LOZ when it get's busy. We are not into wake boarding, but the girls (and friends) are all about tubing. We need to get into a boat that would hold 4 adults and 4 children comfortably

If anyone has input on this please chime in. I'm all for learning and advice. And if anyone knows of any late model cherry 232s/242s, please speak up.

Happy to be here as well! You all seem like a helpful group.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Hello from Missouri

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome from Oklahoma Jtin! Its exciting to hear you are looking for the right boat! And we just happen to be here to help you!

So there are several folks here that are super willing to help you shop. It's kinda what we do... spending other people's money. We're actually pretty good at it.

What is your budget? What motor, color, options are you looking for? Are you willing to travel to see it, and then go get your new purchase or have it shipped? Lots of boats have been purchased around LOTO or TRL and shipped to all parts of the country. Boats have been bought in Texas and shipped to Canada. Nevada to Pennsylvania. Missouri to California. Massachusetts (I think) to Arizona. So we can make this happen!

Dont forget the 240 either. It is a sport version of the 242/243 series with the same layout except it doesn't have a rear sunpad. But it has more storage than any boat Iver ever seen.

Also you'll want to look at the 262, 252, 222, 220. It's really all about your budget and options. With your kids you will want an extended swim platform. Go with as big of motor as you can, you'll not regret having horsepower. Towers are good for wakeboarding but not necessary for skiing or tubing.

Again, welcome to the gang and get ready to shop!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

Thanks YT.

I would say 252 and 262 are too big for us, and my F150. So would like to max out in the 242 range. I think we want the rear swim pad, so we rule out a 240 as well.

I think my sweet spot is really a 232 from 2012 to 2014. We love the flip down rear swim platform. I'm looking for the reliable boat to last us the next 12 years until the kids are out of the house and on their own. Something in my mid says go volvo, but I have no real knowledge to say either way. Would like Dual props though. Tower is not a "need". I wouldn't rule them out, but at least a bimini is a must. I know it can be added though cheap enough. So really I am looking for a low hour, super clean model, with either a trailer, or I would have one built.

I am a clean freak and have all gear/tools for detailing, and take care of my things. So will probably rule out boats that have been neglected.

I am willing to travel to check out a boat (within driving distance).

I know now is not the time to be shopping as well. So am comfortable waiting on the right boat and price to jump in. And fully know the fall may be the right time.
Last edited by JTinMO on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

And although extremely vain, yellow boats are out, and even red is not preferred. A ice blue one has always been my color if I had to choose, but classic cobalt colors like white, blue, or to less of an extent black would even be fine.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

JT,

I have and ‘11 242 with the 8.1 Gi engine. The rear sun pad is my wife’s favorite feature and every time we have guest the women always use it.

I also boat on an extremely busy lake with a lot of cabin cuisers and surf boats. The freeboard on the 242 comes in handy. It’s very rare that any splash at all comes into the boat.

Can’t help you on towing as I keep mine slipped.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Welcome from St. Louis/Table Rock Lake.

So when I was boat shopping I test drove 2 Cobalts. I test drove the 2002 262 which I ultimately bought and a 2008 232 which I liked as well. I ended up going with the 262 because I came from a 27' Baja Islander so the 232 felt really small to me.

But my boat is lift kept so the larger heavier boat was not a factor to me. I use to trailer my last boat all the time and it was hell towing it up and down the ozarks all the time. So if I was looking for a boat to trailer all the time a 232/242/240 would absolutely be the largest I would go.

I'd say the 232/242 would be the perfect boat for you. if you see anything you like at Heartland Marine down at the lake of the ozarks Brandon is a really easy guy to deal with. I bought my boat from him back in January and he always seems to keep 4-5 Cobalts in stock as he is a Cobalt lover as well.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hellooooo JtinMO.

Welcome to the CChat forum. So glad you found us!

You will have quite a plethora of Cobalt models from which to choose residing in MO. What an opportunity!

Like the others have said above, the 23 to 24 foot ranges should work very well with your requirements. I think a an arch for wake-boarding as well as a minimum 300 horse Merc or Volvo pushed by a duoprop drive will put the icing on the cake.
Sounds like you have your heart set on a flip down swim platform and I say go for it! Plus, you and I think so similarly on colors. :D

Lotta wisdom on this site.
A recent new member, TinCupp, in another thread went with a 220 and a 496MAG HO. He couldn't be happier.
Here are his recent comments...
What I can say is that you’ll be pleased with patience. I knew I wanted a Cobalt and started looking last September...didn’t stumble across this place until this season. I had a 226 5.7 picked out, deposit down but it fell through. Then another, a few years older but couldn’t come to terms on price. This forum (BBP + others) pointed me towards the one I have and man am I glad. I never thought I needed 496 Mag power (425 hp) but I’ll probably never be able to have anything less now. I’ve only pulled the kids on the tube so far but it’s great out of the hole and rides so much smoother than other boats around the lake that I’ve rode on with big boat wakes on this lake. I’m a fan of the 226! Especially with the bigger motor that you’re looking for
Here is the video he just posted....

https://vimeo.com/272208039

As others chime in, you will be able to narrow down your choices to that perfect Cobalt. Keep asking those questions and all we request are pictures once you purchase. :mrgreen:

Once again, welcome aboard mate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Many options available and we've got pretty much every model covered on here so ask away we all love to tell you why we love our boat!

Welcome from KY...whatever you decide will be an awesome boat its just a matter of deciding what you want and finding it...some search for years and some get lucky and find the perfect boat at the dealer in town. Hope luck is on your side.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Hello. Welcome from Wisconsin after reading this I think you might want to stick to 20 feet and under or upgrade your truck first to a Chevy. lol

JTinMO
Ensign
Ensign
Unread post Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks YT.

I would say 252 and 262 are too big for us, and my F150. So would like to max out in the 242 range.

So klennop was looking for the same as you and we found a 250 for him. I'll look around later if i remember. I'm old and forgetful.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

The F150 could use an upgrade, but it's 70K into its second engine right now. It's got more life in her.

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm Hello. Welcome from Wisconsin after reading this I think you might want to stick to 20 feet and under or upgrade your truck first to a Chevy. lol

JTinMO
Ensign
Ensign
Unread post Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks YT.

I would say 252 and 262 are too big for us, and my F150. So would like to max out in the 242 range.

So klennop was looking for the same as you and we found a 250 for him. I'll look around later if i remember. I'm old and forgetful.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Welcome going forward! If storage space is an issue I get the smaller version . But you are boating at LOTTO and unless your a weekday boater a small boat may be a disappointment.

Sure most people start even smaller at 18 ft. And as we get used to the size we grow in want, but boats shrink in the water as opposed to looking like monsters on the trailer.

240 to 272 is my recommendation . If your wondering about your F150 yes it borderline but browse our " Tow vehicle pic" thread and educate on what others are doing. Have fun as Boat Shopping is exciting!!

Hmmmm he needs a 343 :D

Link

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=153&hilit=Tow+vehicle
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

I currently have a 19 foot Tahoe boat (it's a dog power wise). I know I need at least 4 more feet in our Cobalt "model to be determined". The 22' boats felt better, but 23' felt more where I want to be on size.

And yes, At Lake of the Ozarks I am not dumb enough to wander far from the lake arms, and weekends are pretty much a wash right now. Speared too many waves in our little boat, it's borderline unsafe. Not a fun experience with the family.

Most weekend time will be spent as day trips at Smithville Lake NE of Kansas City, which is much smaller and does not have the Cigarette or Donzi crowd. The 22-24' size is perfect there.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Hey JT...was scrolling back thru the Cobalt FB group and saw this post from June 6th...maybe you can go check it out...not sure price or other details or if its even still available but thought I would share...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:15 pm Hey JT...was scrolling back thru the Cobalt FB group and saw this post from June 6th...maybe you can go check it out...not sure price or other details or if its even still available but thought I would share...
That would be great for a young growing family. Nice Find !!
JTinMO wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm I currently have a 19 foot Tahoe boat (it's a dog power wise). I know I need at least 4 more feet in our Cobalt "model to be determined". The 22' boats felt better, but 23' felt more where I want to be on size.

And yes, At Lake of the Ozarks I am not dumb enough to wander far from the lake arms, and weekends are pretty much a wash right now. Speared too many waves in our little boat, it's borderline unsafe. Not a fun experience with the family.

Most weekend time will be spent as day trips at Smithville Lake NE of Kansas City, which is much smaller and does not have the Cigarette or Donzi crowd. The 22-24' size is perfect there.
Good selection of waterways. Nice to hear !
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

NautiGirl - I saw that. He’s been listing it for almost 2 years now. Not sure about rules on here for price discussions, so will just say I think it’s listed a little high for a 10 yr old boat. Seems like he’s adding on the full stereo upgrade cost to the asking price.

And I really want to find one with the flip down swim platform. That’s my families nicest desires feature.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi