R3 or R3 Surf, To Surf or not to Surf

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: R3 or R3 Surf, To Surf or not to Surf

Post by tgrace98 »

Tuscany wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:33 am TGrace, I think you just made me realize the difference here.
Truthfully, in my years of boating, I haven’t seen a single person surfing behind a boat...or a surf boat of any kind on the water. This area seems to ski/board.
Maybe fad is too strong of a word, and probably the wrong word.
Maybe it’s more “regional”.
We boat on a Great Lake. The most volatile lake of them all. Smaller boats that don’t encounter radically changing nautical conditions need not apply. One day, Tahoe. The next, The Bearing Sea.
I haven’t seen a surf boat on Chautauqua either. Maybe AJ has.

For me, my single most fear when boating is hitting something I can’t see while close to shore or retrieving.
You are definitely leaving your walnuts on the chopping block with forward drive exposure.
My grumpy rear end isn’t feeling a FWD drive.🤬🤣
You make a great point there T

When I was younger and boated Lake of the Ozarks I never saw them. Probably because of the endless 40+ft cruisers and speed boats.

But since I started boating table rock it seems you see 3 types boats... toons, tugs, and cobalts.

So I would say regional is the correct term.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Lots of surfers on Lake Travis. Really screw up the water with the huge wakes. Each to their own, I don't own the lake. I would say, that I wouldn't want to give up all the room and storage I have to install ballast.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

One would have to be very careful when using a surf boat around here. People can be downright pricks and very "over the top" about their shoreline, and I get it if I were in their shoes...to the point where I've been given the finger cruising down the narrow Buffalo river at 5 MPH because my dribble upset their docked canoe a tad. Ofcourse , that powered figure 8 after the finger gesture didn't help the matter. :lol: :lol:

Obviously, the Buffalo River is no place for a surf boat, but they are so uncommon, that it may take a little time to be accepted on the Upper Niagara River. It could be a hassle to own one around here. You would have to go out on the open lake.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Driller wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:42 am Lots of surfers on Lake Travis. Really screw up the water with the huge wakes. Each to their own, I don't own the lake. I would say, that I wouldn't want to give up all the room and storage I have to install ballast.
Don’t you just love when you are anchored out in a cove. trying to enjoy a few cold ones with your friends/family and one of those idiot tug boats comes about 150-200ft away from your boat pulling a surfer?

Man I sound like a grumpy old man
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Loto just made a wake rule change for surf boats and large cruisers. It's coming.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I found a better picture of you Tuscany!
Screenshot_20180620-175020_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Haha, YT. Damn, I’m not that ugly!🤣🤣
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:22 am Loto just made a wake rule change for surf boats and large cruisers. It's coming.
It’s actually a state law. So it will effect all bodies of water in Missouri. Which I can say it is about time
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

It’s just consideration of others. A lot of people simply don’t care. That’s when the law has to step in.
Buffalo patrols and enforces their no wake zones with an iron fist. US Border patrol, sheriffs dept... all have boats everywhere up and down the Niagara River, and on the smaller rivers and canals.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tuscany wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 am It’s just consideration of others. A lot of people simply don’t care. That’s when the law has to step in.
Buffalo patrols and enforces their no wake zones with an iron fist. US Border patrol, sheriffs dept... all have boats everywhere up and down the Niagara River, and on the smaller rivers and canals.
Yea lake Cumberland does too. It's not 1000 rpms either. Is just above idle or they will stop you.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:22 am Loto just made a wake rule change for surf boats and large cruisers. It's coming.
Sure is and a great point bbLp. :D

It WAS illegal in PA to wake surf behind anything other than an inboard. No jet, no forward drive I/O, etc.
Then PA changed the law in November of 2017 to allow surfing behind a boat such as the Cobalt wake surf forward drive series. Takes affect in 2018.

Of course enforcement of the law is another issue. Captain’s Call is illegal here in PA, although rarely enforced. ( race boats with specific exemptions on file are allowed ) Maybe they will change that rule. Just a matter of who is enforcing your boating laws as well as what they decide to enforce.

Bottom line, before you buy a Cobalt wake surf Boat, check your state’s boating laws & enforcement policies. 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
loveoutdoors
Ensign
Ensign

Post by loveoutdoors »

I will continue to read replys as they are offered but for now being in my late 50's and desiring more comfort from a larger bowrider without having to learn a lot of new tricks it seems I will be very happy with a new R3 with it's duel props and a added tower. Now I just have to decide on how much power I require. Thank you to everyone for being willing to share your insights. In the end looks like No Surf.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

loveoutdoors wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm I will continue to read replys as they are offered but for now being in my late 50's and desiring more comfort from a larger bowrider without having to learn a lot of new tricks it seems I will be very happy with a new R3 with it's duel props and a added tower. Now I just have to decide on how much power I require. Thank you to everyone for being willing to share your insights. In the end looks like No Surf.
I think that’s a good call for your particular situation, LO.
Now go get an R3 (or 5) with at least 300 horses pushing it. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

loveoutdoors wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm I will continue to read replys as they are offered but for now being in my late 50's and desiring more comfort from a larger bowrider without having to learn a lot of new tricks it seems I will be very happy with a new R3 with it's duel props and a added tower. Now I just have to decide on how much power I require. Thank you to everyone for being willing to share your insights. In the end looks like No Surf.
430 please with captains call. Dreamsicle too baby. Help a friend out. Pay it forward 10 years in advance. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, another tidbit to consider....

JMO.
We’re close to the same age, and sounds grand kids may be entering the picture down the road. Time to spend quality time on the water with loved ones and friends. After all, you can do all of the other watersports behind any boat.
If you are choosing to stay away from the FWD drive and WWS, and if family considerations are forefront, you may want to consider putting that saved WWS budget into a boat that may fit your family more comfortably.

The R3 is a nice boat, but was never in consideration for me because of its limited bow area, tight rear seating, and lack of a head. In reality, it’s only a 21’ boat when you take away the swim platform extension. Boats are now measured from bow to end of platform, which is very misleading.

Depending on the amount of future passengers, you may want to take a trip to a dealership which may have an R3, R5 and R7 in stock and take a tour of the space. Sit in all sections of the boat and consider how your family may fit. After all, once you shove off from the dock, you will be either stuck tightly together, or have room to stretch and walk around. If you are like us, we cruise for miles, stop, turn on the tunes and float the day away with a little party and a nice buffet around the table. That is when we truly enjoy our R7.
The small price paid for more space is sooo much cheaper than the initial cost of the wrong boat.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine