R3 or R3 Surf, To Surf or not to Surf

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: R3 or R3 Surf, To Surf or not to Surf

Post by tgrace98 »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 am Well, another tidbit to consider....

JMO.
We’re close to the same age, and sounds grand kids may be entering the picture down the road. Time to spend quality time on the water with loved ones and friends. After all, you can do all of the other watersports behind any boat.
If you are choosing to stay away from the FWD drive and WWS, and if family considerations are forefront, you may want to consider putting that saved WWS budget into a boat that may fit your family more comfortably.

The R3 is a nice boat, but was never in consideration for me because of its limited bow area, tight rear seating, and lack of a head. In reality, it’s only a 21’ boat when you take away the swim platform extension. Boats are now measured from bow to end of platform, which is very misleading.

Depending on the amount of future passengers, you may want to take a trip to a dealership which may have an R3, R5 and R7 in stock and take a tour of the space. Sit in all sections of the boat and consider how your family may fit. After all, once you shove off from the dock, you will be either stuck tightly together, or have room to stretch and walk around. If you are like us, we cruise for miles, stop, turn on the tunes and float the day away with a little party and a nice buffet around the table. That is when we truly enjoy our R7.
The small price paid for more space is sooo much cheaper than the initial cost of the wrong boat.
to add on to what T said the extra storage you get if you go up to an R5/R7. Once you get to the R5 you get the head area which if you take the porta potti out makes for great storage. That is what I use mine for on my 262. If I were buying a new boat an R5 would be the absolute smallest I would go.

My boating habits are very similar to T. Cruise around for miles then float around with a table full of appetizers and drinks by all.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

I may be a little late to the party but thought I would chime in. I was in a similar situation last year early 50's, 2 kids in college and one left at home. I chose the R7 Surf option. The reason for me is that my family and the groups we hand with generally spend more time doing water sports on the water. The Surf gave us the ability to do this as well as the functionality of cruising with the ride an comfort of a typical cobalt. I am coming from a 22 foot deck boat with an outboard so while there is a learning curve it nothing that an experienced boater can't master with ease. As far as debris and damage to the motor IMO, it's not much different than a traditional I/O in that if you hit something it's going to do some damage. We spend our time at Lake Texoma and during certain times of the year we have to be careful. My boat is in a slip and I have a traditional hydro hoist lift. We stern the boat in we have had no issues. We also have taken the boat to the beach and while I have to be more careful, I pull in drop the windlass, and anchor the back of the boat to the beach. No different than other larger boats that are hanging on the beach. We have put 35 hour wonderful fun filled hours on the boat this summer so far surfing, wakeboarding, tubing, beaching, and cruising. I have plenty of storage for all of my needs but the R7 only has 2 ballasts and leaves the ski locker in floor open and I don't think this is true in the R3.

I personally don't think it is a fad and I think it will be here for a while. This past weekend I myself surfed and wakeboarded behind it. The impact from surfing is so much less at 11mph that wake boarding at 20mph cutting back across the wake and catching an edge. My kids and their friends seem to love it. That being said I had some new to watersports kids on the boat this past weekend and they had no interest in surfing and only wanted to wakeboard. It is truly up to each individual and what you plan on doing with your boat. I have no regrets and I know that my kids are very happy with the direction I went. If it were up to them we would have had a dedicated surf/wakeboard boat so this offers us the best of both worlds. If you have an specific questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer. I don't think you can go wrong either way and that the most important part is being on the water with the family and friends.
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
loveoutdoors
Ensign
Ensign

Post by loveoutdoors »

Thank you everyone for the continued comments, I will at least CK on the R5, if I have to get a one owner unit for the size and budget to match so be it. The Harley rider in me likes the Captains Call idea, if I special order a new one I assume I can just add it to the list.
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

if you are ordering anything new...captains call is a MUST!!!!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Currently Listed At Down the Road Motors
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

I just bought a R5 Surf and keep it on a big lake in MN for the summer. IMO, wake surfing is more than a fad. My kids and I(age 53) really enjoy it. I especially like now that I’m older that it is a low impact water sport that doesn’t take nearly the cardio that wake boarding or water skiing does. I can easily surf for 20 minutes straight without getting winded and when I fall there is almost zero chance for injury. Wake surfing in my experience also has a shorter learning curve than something like water skiing. Most people can get out and surf after a half dozen or less falls.

If your lake is full of spots that are under 3 feet deep and your going to beach it in shallow areas then forward drive is going to be a problem. Gull Lake where we are is a large 15 mile long lake and has almost no areas under 3 feet deep and the only place I beach the boat is a point with a steep drop off so I never considered not getting the surf model.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

MnLakeBum wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:19 am I just bought a R5 Surf and keep it on a big lake in MN for the summer. IMO, wake surfing is more than a fad. My kids and I(age 53) really enjoy it. I especially like now that I’m older that it is a low impact water sport that doesn’t take nearly the cardio that wake boarding or water skiing does. I can easily surf for 20 minutes straight without getting winded and when I fall there is almost zero chance for injury. Wake surfing in my experience also has a shorter learning curve than something like water skiing. Most people can get out and surf after a half dozen or less falls.

If your lake is full of spots that are under 3 feet deep and your going to beach it in shallow areas then forward drive is going to be a problem. Gull Lake where we are is a large 15 mile long lake and has almost no areas under 3 feet deep and the only place I beach the boat is a point with a steep drop off so I never considered not getting the surf model.

& that’s the perfect application for a surf model, MLB. If my boating conditions were similar here in Erie PA, I would own one in a heartbeat. Thanks for that post. 👍🏻

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
loveoutdoors
Ensign
Ensign

Post by loveoutdoors »

Ok as a new member I don't want to start anything or post something either wrong or in the wrong place but is it ok to ask y'all yes I'm from Alabama, what are your thoughts on Malibu proposal to buy Cobalt. Again after years of research I'm finally ready to get a Cobalt and now I'm reading this on a article on the internet. I figured this R3 smaller post is a better quiter place to ask what y'all know and not just start a new post since I am a new member.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

loveoutdoors wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:36 pm Ok as a new member I don't want to start anything or post something either wrong or in the wrong place but is it ok to ask y'all yes I'm from Alabama, what are your thoughts on Malibu proposal to buy Cobalt. Again after years of research I'm finally ready to get a Cobalt and now I'm reading this on a article on the internet. I figured this R3 smaller post is a better quiter place to ask what y'all know and not just start a new post since I am a new member.
Hey LoD, you can ask away.... new member or old...it doesn't matter.

We do have some back threads on certain topics so many times you can search and get your answer.

Overall, the purchase by Malibu of Cobalt boats is a win-win for both. Malibu quality and innovation will mate up with Cobalt loyalty, forward drive & swim step patents along with award winning deep vee runabout quality to move them into the future.

We kicked this around in the following a thread back in August of 2017....

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=506&p=5811&hilit=malco#p5811

Enjoy. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
MikeBo
Commander
Commander

Post by MikeBo »

Just my opinion but if I was going to buy a surf boat I would get a Malibu...it is just a better wake and better tech at this point, if I wanted a regular boat...cobalt all the way.
Cobalt 292, white with blue sport stripes, twin Volvo 5.7’s.

Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

MikeBo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 pm Just my opinion but if I was going to buy a surf boat I would get a Malibu...it is just a better wake and better tech at this point, if I wanted a regular boat...cobalt all the way.
If you go read that thread we have had about the mailbu and cobalt merger there is a nice link to a Malibu chat page and some of the long time surfers are raving about the cobalt surf line. Saying you get the ability to surf yet don’t sacrifice ride quality and top speed of a bow rider.

Personally if I was into surfing I would get a cobalt surf line. Just my boating is normally cruising then finding a cove to chill and have a couple cold beverages. So the extra money for a surf just isn’t worth it to me. Mainly because it wouldn’t get used to surf.

I’m still waiting on Cobalt and Malibu to make a true surf baby. As in forward drive with the surf gate. Who knows maybe if that ever happens i’ll Pick up surfing 😎
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
NE Zack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by NE Zack »

Well all this surf or not to surf grabbed me in December when I was ordering my R7. I choose the surf as my wife and I have 1 small child (4yr old) and it’s hard telling what he’s going to be into. I also asked myself if I don’t get the surf would I regret it in a few years and be trading for one then.
Here is the best advice I can give you get what you want equipped how you want it dont let a few $$$$ impeed your dicision as you will only regret it later. Also by doing this it will be cheaper on your pocket book in the long run because you will keep your new purchase longer.
We had an incident with loading our R7 surf on the trailer and did shell some props and outdrive so be very careful on your trailer selection if you go surf and make sure to get the rudder indicator.
As far as beaching I can’t at the lakes we frequent so I anchor with windless then anchor off the back to the beach leaving the boat in 4’ of water doing this also keeps my pacific blue bottom from getting all scratched up.

Also If your dealer does not have An R3, R5, and R7 in stock you may want to make a road trip to one that does and preferably one that will let you test drive them. Keep in mind that service after the sale will be key if you ever need it.
And last make sure you have a great insurance policy / agent once you make the purchase for the o crap moments if / when they happen

Oh yeah pics one you Get it as well
2018 R7 Surf
Shale / Black / Pacific Blue
Volvo FWD 6.2 380 HP
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

There are major trade offs here.
The one thing that potential Surf buyers must be aware of is the loss of storage. The motorbox and I believe the ski locker now becomes useless for storage. They are now holding ballast tanks. There is little storage on these boats to begin with, and now almost zero storage on the surf boats. So unless surfing is the number one and main goal, it makes the boat very limited in what you can carry.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

loveoutdoors wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:14 pm Looking for some advice, I have just joined this forum and this will be my first post. My wife and I have enjoyed our 21 foot bowrider (not a cobalt) for 10 years. We have decided it is time to get a larger boat and prefer the R3 over the CS23 because we do not simply want a longer boat we want a bigger boat. We are in our late 50's and just cant give up the bowrider for a pontoon. I have looked at the WSS series for a few years and love the look however now that we are ready to buy we realize the WSS is no longer just a good looking boat they now have a forward facing stern drive with ballast for a surf option. Our children now starting their own families join us at the lake and while non of us have ever surfed before we now have the option of surfing on a bowrider and this complicates the decision. Do we load up a R3 and mirror the 2014 WSS look we love and keep the duel prop traditional stern drive or do we go all in and get a new WSS Surf. We are a lake only family that loves to just take a ride and let the family tube. We will have an occasional water sports day where we break out the skis, wake-board and knee-board. My wife says we could add surfing to our water sports day but I am nervous about using a forward facing drive. We are on Lake Martin, it is a beautiful man made lake and the water level is adjusted down in the fall and raised back up in the spring. The water is very clear but thinking about hitting something in the water scares me. Just this week we stopped and pulled a 14 foot 2 by 4 out of the water. Other factors are we will find places to beach and just swim, also my dock area is to small for a boat lift so the boat sits in the water while I am at the lake and when I leave the lake 6 to 8 times a summer I will be taking it out of the water and putting it on a trailer. I know this is a long read but in order for your opinions to help I felt you needed all the information. Thank You in advance.
While I'm new to the Cobalt world (and boating as well), in picking a boat, I did a quick study of what was out there and tried to match the boat to my needs. I'm 60 with an 11 and 8-year-old. They enjoy bringing friends out, tubing and my 11-year-old water skis. We used to do all of the activities behind a Sea Doo. We picked a new 2016 Cobalt 210.

A friend of mine at the lake with 4 grown boys, two of who ski and wakeboard (as well as Dad at 57) bought a 5-year-old Centurion ski/wake boat with a V Drive. They don't go out on the lake unless it is calm enough to wakeboard, ski or surf. The Centurion is perfect for them. The Cobalt 210 is perfect for us - given our use.

It sounds to me like you are halfway between a bowrider and a pontoon boat. :) Can I suggest you consider how much surfing your kids and grandchildren will do each season? I doubt you will get the use out of a wake series boat with the forward drive unless the grandchildren (or children) want to get lots of "air" wakeboarding or want to surf regularly. You say that you only have a few ski days a summer.

I think there are drawbacks to having to make allowances (trailering, shallow water) with a forward drive. But I will say that in my mind, there isn't too much difference between hitting a rock with a stern drive or forward drive. Why do I say that? Because both will likely result in an insurance claim , so its best to know where you are at all times with either drive system.

Just my $0.02 worth.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Late to here too. Welcome fellow Alabamian! I’m dragging in the AL folks like flies! Not a ton of feedback on the forward drive so please share what you find out elsewhere. I’m down on the AL coast and see some surf. I saw a lot in Austin TX on the river there a few months ago. almost every boat seemed like. Figure out the size thing that works for you because, I guess, it matters. I want to find some feedback on adding those big surf tabs without ballast tanks. I know the forward drive is not a good option here but depending on how you plan to use it I guess could be good anywhere just with caveats. Not much help as not a surfer but not opposed to it. Main thing is get what you think will be best for you and your use. Nobody wants to make a mistake and wish they had gotten something else so research and spend time going to see things and test if possible. I know a like new R5 here where the owner (on here also) is going up to a larger cabin boat. Our R5 is great but you may want the tower for even more sports options. Sorry not a lot of help. What is your status now?
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

There are always trade offs. I’d love a Formula 350 Crossover parked on a coastal Florida Home, but I’m not a member of the lucky sperm club. ..😂
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine