Wake Surfing Wake Shapers

AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wake Surfing Wake Shapers

Post by AsLan7 »

I'm curious if anyone from the Surf crowd has tried one of the wake shapers currently on the market? You can make your own or purchase one for a couple hundred bucks. These are mainly for the inboard/v-drive ski boat market. The Cobalt WSS series has some massive wake shaping tabs which do something very similar.

I've also heard of folks successfully using them for wake boarding. Pop one on your hull using the suction mount and they will shape the wake nicely on one side below 30mph. (just don't forget about it and go flying down the lake with it hanging from it's lanyard & bouncing next to you. :shock:)

In any event, interesting product. Just curious if the surfers here have tried one.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
bojihoz
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Wake Surfing Wake Shapers

Post by bojihoz »

Been wondering the same thing, but can't find any input anywhere...
CollegeFund
Commander
Commander

Post by CollegeFund »

We don’t surf with out one! This is on a 2003 240.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 240BR 8.1 Gi

Lehi, Utah
CollegeFund
Commander
Commander

Post by CollegeFund »

That one was home made. Sadly, my best effort had no flotation and no leash. The second was better. I just found a local company that looks really promising so I ordered one. Look up Flipsurf.
2003 240BR 8.1 Gi

Lehi, Utah
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

New guy bumping these old threads, sorry.

Let me get this straight. You are surfing behind a I/O and not the forward drive?
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

rabiddawg wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:45 pm New guy bumping these old threads, sorry.

Let me get this straight. You are surfing behind a I/O and not the forward drive?
I think we both saw that and that should never ever be done.
Fall forward and your face could come in contact with all 6 blades of the duo prop!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 pm
rabiddawg wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:45 pm New guy bumping these old threads, sorry.

Fall forward and your face could come in contact with all 6 blades of the duo prop!
Agreed.
I have also read where a boat momentarily hit a sand bar causing the wake surfer surfing behind the boat to come crashing in on the platform hitting his head.
As low speed and as low impact as wake surfing is behind properly equipped boats, there are still hazards of which to be aware. Be careful out there folks.
8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by MnLakeBum »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am

Agreed.
I have also read where a boat momentarily hit a sand bar causing the wake surfer surfing behind the boat to come crashing in on the platform hitting his head.
As low speed and as low impact as wake surfing is behind properly equipped boats, there are still hazards of which to be aware. Be careful out there folks.
8-)
Pure insanity to surf behind a traditional I/O or outboard. We’ve had 3 or 4 different beginners fall into our R5 Surf swim platform and had the board hit the Platform dozens of times.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

MnLakeBum wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am

Agreed.
8-)
Pure insanity to surf behind a traditional I/O or outboard. We’ve had 3 or 4 different beginners fall into our R5 Surf swim platform and had the board hit the Platform dozens of times.
Ouch and I bet you felt like crap even after that. Surprised that happens. Why?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!