Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hill Country Lakes - Great State of Texas

Post by Driller »

What lake so you mainly boat on?

Favorite Restaurant / club / hangout?

What is you favorite Marina?

Secret Hideouts (that you don't want to be a secret any longer?

Recommendations?
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Hill Country Lakes - Great State of Texas

Post by Driller »

I'll start.

I slip my boat on Lake Travis and don't have a trailer, so I'm pretty much stuck with that lake.

So far we've eaten at Gnarly Gar, Sundancer Grill, and Ernie's Dockside. Went out to Ernie's weekend before last and the water is so low the only docking is a good way from the restaurant. Didn't eat. Been up Sandy Creek and scoped out Shack 512, but it got late before my company made a decision and I didn't have my GPS then, so passed. I really want to try Canyon Grille at Rough Hollow looks like it is a little more upscale with better food, but I need to check out the docking situation. Maybe this weekend.

I pretty much use the Crosswater Yacht Club for fuel and ice. They have good attendants to help dock and they fill the boat for you. They pre-add stabilizer to the fuel and I have not had a problem in 2 seasons. It is just North of Hurst Harbor. It is very close to my slip, so that is a plus also. Only Marina on the lake I know of with Ethanol free is Lakeway Marina.

I've given up on Devils Cove. Too deep to anchor my boat reliably and crowded. Plus on the South end of the lake the traffic is a lot more dense that further north. Lately I've been going up to Point Venture. Now that the water is lower there's a "Beach" and you can anchor up in 10' of water and it is 5-3' just a little behind the boat. Hasn't been too crowded the last 2 weekends.

I recommend boating during the week if possible. Failing that, hit the water as early as possible. Beat the heat and the traffic. Doesn't get crowded until around 1 o'clock.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I dont know anything about the lakes but the Hill Country is a little piece of Heaven on Earth. My favorite part of the state next to east Texas.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
rrfisher
Commander
Commander

Post by rrfisher »

Ytmsn, East Texas > Hill Country? Come on man...

I started the season on Travis. I trailer and my main ramp was Cypress Creek until they closed it due to depth, now I launch from Jones Brothers Park. Early in the season Travis was OK, but it's getting too busy for the times I can be on it and beats my little 206 to death over around the Starnes Island headed towards Devil's Cove area.

We did hit up Shack 512, the old Cafe Blue, a couple months ago and it is really good, nice atmosphere and marina. Pretty decent area to ski/tube around there so that's where we spend a majority of our time.

The drive for me to LBJ is an hour so we frequent that lake as well. I much prefer to stay a few days at Horseshoe Bay during the week because that lake is a ghost town Monday-Thursday. HB marina is top notch and for the $45/day slip fee they back you in/pull you out and then take your trailer to the airport drop it off and bring back your truck which is extremely convenient. The brand new slip I had was probably 12 X 35, but no lift. If we're not on the boat we go to the HB Yacht Club, food, drinks, nice pool/spa/beach. Top it off with great people watching (saw Anna Kournikova), we love the whole set up.

We really like Lake Belton as well, but haven't made it up there this season.
2001 206 5.0 Gi
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Northeast Texas. I like pine trees!
"Black Boats Matter"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 am Northeast Texas. I like pine trees!
Spoken as a true Okie.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Photo_G
Commander
Commander

Post by Photo_G »

Ok, I'll jump in. We're slipped in Lake Travis too (almost a year now) and don't even own a trailer anymore...I'm not missing it myself. There is a lot to see and do here! The Gnarly Gar is pretty decent. When there's live music on the deck, we like to get food to-go and "dine in", if we can get a front courtesy slip. Tried to boat to the Rough Hollow grill on a Friday night, but there were no courtesy docks open (it looks like there are only four spots, but I could be mistaken). I've been there before though, and the food and view are both great!

My favorite marina has to be Lakeway. Nice folks over there! I'd like to find a few quiet hideouts that are still accessible (currently -23 ft.)...mostly, we just float near the cliffs. Went to Devil's Cove once, it was cool but doesn't look like the kind of place that we would frequent.

Starnes, a.k.a., Rattlesnake, Island (not a secret) was awesome on July 3rd...it was among the best fireworks display that we've ever seen!!

G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Photo_G wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:38 pm
Starnes, a.k.a., Rattlesnake, Island (not a secret) was awesome on July 3rd...it was among the best fireworks display that we've ever seen!!
Yep, we were out there also. Looked like driving a freeway with all the boats headed back home.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Photo_G wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:38 pm We're slipped in Lake Travis too (almost a year now) and don't even own a trailer anymore...I'm not missing it myself. There is a lot to see and do here!
ATX is slipped on Travis also, that makes 3 of us that I know of.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Driller wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:57 pm
Photo_G wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:38 pm We're slipped in Lake Travis too (almost a year now) and don't even own a trailer anymore...I'm not missing it myself. There is a lot to see and do here!
ATX is slipped on Travis also, that makes 3 of us that I know of.
And still no pictures of a meet up!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

That's because they're Texans, and Austin Texans at that! I have had some sightings though... here are the pictures.

They're generally real good folks though. Just don't piss a Texan off!
20180724_125610.jpg
20180724_125625.jpg
20180724_125641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Black Boats Matter"
Photo_G
Commander
Commander

Post by Photo_G »

Ouch...

:lol:
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Ytmsn wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm That's because they're Texans, and Austin Texans at that! I have had some sightings though... here are the pictures.

They're generally real good folks though. Just don't piss a Texan off!
20180724_125610.jpg
20180724_125625.jpg
20180724_125641.jpg
You must have been cruising one of the "high dollar" marinas to get those pics. My neighborhood is decidedly down scale from that area.
"DIGGIN' IT"
rrfisher
Commander
Commander

Post by rrfisher »

They just closed 2 of 3 ramps at Jones Brother park which is a bummer as that's where I launch. So my options for Travis is launch with no courtesy dock or fight the Mansfield crowd. We need some rain.
2001 206 5.0 Gi
Photo_G
Commander
Commander

Post by Photo_G »

rrfisher wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:36 am We need some rain.
+1