Golf Carts

(AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MO, MS, SC, TN)
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Golf Carts

Post by Table Rockin »

Driller wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm
Table Rockin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 pm Picked it up yesterday. Love it.
Same cart my as my last one. You'll be happy with the RXV. Add the speed kit (software upgrade) and she'll do 26 mph.
So what is this speed kit your talking about? The passkey? Ive been reading around on buggies gone wild forum. Some say the rxv stock controller cant handle larger tires over 20.5 in. Mine are 23 and yours look like the same size. You know anything about what im talking about?
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

And YT that was a good looking cart. How was the 36V torque? I almost bought an older one that was 36V but the price he wanted compared to this was too steep.
"The Mistress"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Yeah, dont get a 36 volt unless you plan on reselling it. They were designed to run wide open between holes on the golf course. They were NOT designed to slowly cruise around neighborhoods or load it down with 4 people and climb hills.

With two people it was fine, and with 4 it did okay, but I could tell it was struggling. We have lots of inclines here just like you do. Sometimes I'd pull up and could smell it getting hot. Eventually it burns out the wires running to the reducer coils. When that happens you're dead in the water. After a few rounds of that I thumped her in the head and got a 48 volt LSV.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Table Rockin wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:25 pm
Table Rockin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 pm Picked it up yesterday. Love it.
Same cart my as my last one. You'll be happy with the RXV. Add the speed kit (software upgrade) and she'll do 26 mph.
So what is this speed kit your talking about? The passkey? Ive been reading around on buggies gone wild forum. Some say the rxv stock controller cant handle larger tires over 20.5 in. Mine are 23 and yours look like the same size. You know anything about what im talking about?
Not 100% sure as I had the Dealer upgrade the controller, but here's a link I found on eBay, and the price was about what I paid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-RXV-Speed ... 2797999625
Check with your local dealer, they will know how to do the upgrade, it is commonly done.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Driller wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:14 pm

Not 100% sure as I had the Dealer upgrade the controller, but here's a link I found on eBay, and the price was about what I paid.

Check with your local dealer, they will know how to do the upgrade, it is commonly done.

Buggies Gone Wild is a great site, I hung out there for quite a while after I got my cart. They're a good bunch of guys and they have quite a lot of knowledge. However, 48V AC Carts is not really their specialty. Most of the guys are DC cart experts.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

I ran it the other night with a GPS speedometer app and I hit 24 MPH before I shut it down. So I must at the very least have that freedom mode unlocked (which is the upgrade you posted I believe). And I think the reason I got over 19.5 MPH is because of the bigger tires. There is a guy on the BGW forum named Bob Boyce who is considered the golf cart guru and he claims that with 23" tires its only a matter of time before the controller blows up but to upgrade the controller is a $1,000 part. So....I will simply have to wait until it blows up. I'm not spending that when the controller I do have seems to work.....at least for now.
"The Mistress"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Table Rockin wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:38 am

I ran it the other night with a GPS speedometer app and I hit 24 MPH before I shut it down. So I must at the very least have that freedom mode unlocked (which is the upgrade you posted I believe). And I think the reason I got over 19.5 MPH is because of the bigger tires. There is a guy on the BGW forum named Bob Boyce who is considered the golf cart guru and he claims that with 23" tires its only a matter of time before the controller blows up but to upgrade the controller is a $1,000 part. So....I will simply have to wait until it blows up. I'm not spending that when the controller I do have seems to work.....at least for now.
I think my tires were 22" and I drove it for 7 years with the upgrade. It was just as strong at the end as the day I bought it. I sold it to one of my neighbors and I see it go by almost every day. They've had no problems of which I am aware. Mine was a 2009 model which I bought in 2011 and installed the upgrade. The guru likely knows more than me, but based on my experience you shouldn't have a problem. Top off the batteries every month with distilled water and recharge after every run. I keep my plug handy and simply plug it in anytime it is parked.

FYI once the batteries are full the charger will kick out (solid green light) after that it will not kick on again unless you unplug and re-plug it. I made a point of unplugging / re-plugging mine every week (Sunday). That way I didn't let the batteries drain during times when it wasn't being driven .
"DIGGIN' IT"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Hmm.. Driller as far as I know my onboard charger goes into maintenance mode once the batteries are fully charged. I'll have to check that.

TR, another thing you'll want to do is add the fill kit to your batteries. Driller turned me on to this last year. It makes filling and maintaining SO much easier.

Just stick the hose into a jug of distilled water, pump the bulb until all the indicators are at the top, and your done. Easy Peasy
"Black Boats Matter"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Wait what is this little marvel you speak of? Link please :)
"The Mistress"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:58 am Hmm.. Driller as far as I know my onboard charger goes into maintenance mode once the batteries are fully charged. I'll have to check that.

TR, another thing you'll want to do is add the fill kit to your batteries. Driller turned me on to this last year. It makes filling and maintaining SO much easier.

Just stick the hose into a jug of distilled water, pump the bulb until all the indicators are at the top, and your done. Easy Peasy
They may have changed the charger. On my new Express L6 it will go back into charge mode at 80%, but my old 2009 RXV would not.

Here's the link:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Flow-Rit ... 5-8754.htm

You'll need to purchase the hand pump separately and make sure you get the right model for your particular batteries.

I've installed the same system on my boat.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Thanks for the link Driller ill check it out.

Yes on mine it will go into trickle charge once at 100%. The owners manual says you dont have to unplug
"The Mistress"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

That link he posted? That's a little nugget. Copy and paste, and Thanks Driller! I was hoping you would do that. One of the best battery hacks there is when it comes to maintenance.
"Black Boats Matter"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Table Rockin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:07 pm Thanks for the link Driller ill check it out.

Yes on mine it will go into trickle charge once at 100%. The owners manual says you dont have to unplug
They say only 2 batteries, but I have 6 on my cart which has a similar system which waters all 6 at the same time. Same with the 4 batteries on RXV. I went with separate systems on my boat because one is mounted port and one starboard. I didn't want a long line run between the two batteries.
"DIGGIN' IT"
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

So....YT how do you store your cart in the off season and when you are away? I'm going to have to keep mine outdoors so was just thinking of getting a cover that comes down around the tires.
"The Mistress"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Table Rockin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:51 am So....YT how do you store your cart in the off season and when you are away? I'm going to have to keep mine outdoors so was just thinking of getting a cover that comes down around the tires.
That's what I do. I need to buy a new cover because my last one got shredded in the tornado last fall. It sits outside all the time.

When I get to the lake, I pitch the cover off, do a quick wash and wipe down and take off. And I plug it in every time I come back to my parking spot.

Then when we leave, put the cover back on, run around the bottom with some bungie cords to hold it on, and make sure its plugged in!
"Black Boats Matter"