220 Radio Installation & Upgrade (Mods)

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
SAB220
Captain
Captain

220 Radio Installation & Upgrade (Mods)

Post by SAB220 »

2004, 220, 350 MAG

Let me see if I can ask the right question. This has nothing to to do with the radio brand, I think, I hope. The current Sony radio is in glove box (I assume that's the original radio & location). I want to replace the radio with a new radio and an amp (JL, Rockwell and Bluetooth). The Access Technologies (RC-1B) commanders are broken as well as the 6 speakers (need to replace all - towers next year).

I want to relocate the radio from the glove. I was thinking maybe I could relocated the radio to the compartment just forward of the glove box (Port) or the compartment just forward cockpit (STBD) and control the radio with a Bluetooth remote???. Access to the compartment is a horizontal hinged cushion. Maybe I could cover the commanders locations with Bluetooth remotes, I dunno. The problem I'm having is how to mount the radio in that FWD compartment and make it shock resistant, e.g. vibration, bouncing -lake waves. I'm not sure whats in that FWD compartment to support a radio with the exception of a screwed plate with untouched carpet.

Comments appreciated. The boat is up North.
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 220 Radio Installation & Upgrade (Mods)

Post by Big Block Power »

You're wanting to mount it where my amps are. I guess if you just mount it to that wall it will be good enough. Even in the glove box you're not isolated from vibration and bumps anyways. It's still moving with the boat. Not sure why you want to move it. Yes I'm sure you can try to cover the prev holes with other remotes.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Thanks Yes mount everything in that compartment (hide it). I'm hoping to build a shelf with L-type brackets and mount everything to the shelf and brace that. If it 1/4" plywood as a bulkhead I may have to reinforced. I like to mount the switch to isolate future speakers maybe in the glove. I would imagine all this equipment should be mounted horizontally. Hope there room. Everything also need to be removable and safe.
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There's room. I mounted a 24 x 24 hdpe 1/2 thick panel in mine and mounted 2 Amps to that. That Marine plywood is at least 1/2 could even be 3/4 thick.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Going up this weekend ..it's on my list to check-out. Have some engine work first and boat needs spring cleaning and waxing bad.

JL has a MR80-HR Receiver (9 1/4" w x 2 1/4" h x 5 15/16" d) with a blue tooth receiver MBT-RX. The receiver has four bolt thru holes in each corner. I could use these MBT-CRXv2 as commanders . I don't know how to select a MX AMP. The amps are described as wide/full with watts,the receiver also have watts. Needs to drive 6 speakers + future tower speakers
JL smallest minimum depth speaker is M650-CCX but they are 6.5" My hole for the old Sony dolphin speakers are 5". May have to choose other speakers or cut or build-out for the JL's to fit. All this is still up in the air until that shelf is built and reinforced - just thinking out loud. Thanks
2004 220
Islander208
Commander
Commander

Post by Islander208 »

I just replaced my stock speakers with 6.5" Kickers. Bbp replaced his with Wedsounds & nauti's did JLs. All 6.5". I think bbp had to use spacers in the bow because they were too deep, but the magnet fit in the holes just fine. May have to drill new holes for the screws (I did).
2004 220
6.2 MPI B3
Yellow/Blk/Wht
San Antonio; Medina/Canyon Lakes
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Hmmm, thanks for the info, interesting. My brother-in details cars. He knows the "guy" at the JL audio store. Maybe I can try them and then return them if they really don't fit. It's a whole 1 1/2" difference i nn diameter. Those 6.5" - M650-CCX are advertised as" short depth speakers for marine applications".
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

SAB220 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:36 pm Hmmm, thanks for the info, interesting. My brother-in details cars. He knows the "guy" at the JL audio store. Maybe I can try them and then return them if they really don't fit. It's a whole 1 1/2" difference i nn diameter. Those 6.5" - M650-CCX are advertised as" short depth speakers for marine applications".
Honestly I don't think Jeff had to do much modifying. He will chime in soon. He's out driving his new BMW golf cart out on the course im sure.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Planned installation of what I belief will be a Rockford Bluetooth receiver with a amp on a 1" x 8" x 22" notched PVC shelve with metal brackets. Rockford has some great commander (Bluetooth remote controls) to cover the broken Sony remote commanders (yes expensive.. little at a time). Picture with flashlight is looking aft you can see the back of the glove. The machine screws with the finish washers are securing the knee area of the passenger cockpit . You can see how the old Sony radio is secured to the overhead . I'll brace the shelve the same way with pipe support. I figure the PVC shelve and brackets will be somewhere above the machine screws. The opening (not shown) to get in there is 25 1/2" corner to corner so, I'll try to prefab and predrill the receiver/amp mounts.
boat.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 220
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

2004 220

Update: Rockford Fosgate (RF) marine system ordered:
PMX-8BB Source, PM600x4 amp, PMX-8DH Remote (cockpit), PMX-1R Remote (swimdeck), PMX10C (Cable for PMX-8DH), PMX-16C (cable for PMX-1R) and PMX-ANT (powered antenna maybe?). Note: new remote cable must be installed to support remotes, speaker wire can be reused.

Future: 8" RF tower speakers and PM500x2 amp with speaker covers

Speaker story: Speakers on boat have 5" hole. RF sells 6" and 6.5" and provides a template. However I like the luxury style speaker grill vice the sport grill (luxury grill is similar to the old Sony grill) but the 6" luxury grill is discontinued - need to ask RF why discontinued. The RF 6" luxury grill is all over Amazon and Ebay.
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Your not using the factory speaker wiring are you? Also are you running new power and grd cables. The factory uses 8 guage for power. You will lose a lot with that. Upgrade now. It's time.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

I fecken asked that question. I thought staMy spoiled young but old adults can run the wiring but I'll check. I'm also concerned about end connections mating.
2004 220
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

I ordered the RFK1D kit to power both amps. The present ordered amp, and future tower amp, and 60" of RF speaker (Ebay). (RFK1D comes w/ 30 speaker.) Below is post from RF web site and why AWG is important for speakers.

Does AWG cost more?
The American Wire Gauge standard specifies the exact amount of copper needed to indicate a specific wire diameter or gauge. With Rockford Fosgate speaker and power wires, you're getting exactly what you paid for - and nothing less.

What impact does wire size have on system performance?
The smaller the wire guage (copper content,) the greater the resistance, which results in loss in power to your amplifier and speakers. Thus creating a poor performing audio system!
2004 220
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This might help. Yes glad you bought the wire with it.
https://youtu.be/cWI-_6PRyFs
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Running cable this weekend and ran out. Learned a lot about what's under the boat gunwale. Started following existing radio cable but that's impossible. Also wanted to remove old radio cable.. well that's impossible too. For example, there seems some type of panel on the Port side mounted to the hull (unreachable unless you remove paneling, glove box assembly). Also there was 6 or 7 long leads marked T1 etc that just terminate. They look like Cobalt test leads?

I've decided cable should travel Port to starboard, or visa versa, going down and up the buoy canister drain holes. The Sony commander at the cockpit just fell apart, the one at the stern is missing. The old Sony radio came out once the back support screw was removed. I've snaked speaker wire to speaker holes with speaker wire taped (electrical tape) to regular steel wire. Rockford parts I've been told coming this coming week.
2004 220