Re: Attention Gear Heads. Hydrolock

Post by Basketballtitan »

No a regular R5
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Any chance this hydrolock is caused by fuel?
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

akorcovelos wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 am Any chance this hydrolock is caused by fuel?
I think the OP said water was spitting out of the cylinders.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Basketballtitan wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:06 pm A little more of an update. Volvo Penta emailed me on Monday and they wanted to know how much water was in the boat, how much gas was in the boat, how much gear was in the boat,how much ballast if any was in the boat, and how many people were on the boat. I sent all that back to them Monday and have heard nothing since then. Still waiting
They are trying to determine where the exhaust manifolds are relative to the water line. If, with additional equipment they are too low, it is possible that water can get into the exhaust system and to the motor unless a one way valve or some sort of anti siphon is set up.

I'm relatively new to boating, but it seems to me that a boater should never experience this problem while operating in the "normal" sea conditions the boat/engine package was designed for. I don't make it a practice to motor at 45 mph and cut the throttle to idle getting slapped in the stern by a following wave. But, I assume if this was to be avoided, the users manual would have a section on it.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

BobRae99 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:25 am
Basketballtitan wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:06 pm A little more of an update. Volvo Penta emailed me on Monday and they wanted to know how much water was in the boat, how much gas was in the boat, how much gear was in the boat,how much ballast if any was in the boat, and how many people were on the boat. I sent all that back to them Monday and have heard nothing since then. Still waiting
They are trying to determine where the exhaust manifolds are relative to the water line. If, with additional equipment they are too low, it is possible that water can get into the exhaust system and to the motor unless a one way valve or some sort of anti siphon is set up.

I'm relatively new to boating, but it seems to me that a boater should never experience this problem while operating in the "normal" sea conditions the boat/engine package was designed for. I don't make it a practice to motor at 45 mph and cut the throttle to idle getting slapped in the stern by a following wave. But, I assume if this was to be avoided, the users manual would have a section on it.
The scary part is hydrolock is nothing new. I see a spacer block update coming.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Basketballtitan
Ensign
Ensign

New update. Volvo penta now wants to fill the boat, first was told with full of gear, full of people and tank full of fuel. Then was told they would do with weights in the boat to look at the waterline of the boat in the water This is ok but not sure how this is going to repair the hydrolocked motor. Getting frustrating, especially after talking with Volvo penta and the representative at the company saying they now are looking at not replacing the motor. Where last week I was told they were looking at replacing due to the bracket holding the starter being cracked which was told was part of the block.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yea I think they want to see one that failed and how it sits in the water. Stick with them. Hang in there and thanks for the update.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

Basketballtitan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 pm New update. Volvo penta now wants to fill the boat, first was told with full of gear, full of people and tank full of fuel. Then was told they would do with weights in the boat to look at the waterline of the boat in the water This is ok but not sure how this is going to repair the hydrolocked motor. Getting frustrating, especially after talking with Volvo penta and the representative at the company saying they now are looking at not replacing the motor. Where last week I was told they were looking at replacing due to the bracket holding the starter being cracked which was told was part of the block.
Soooo they want to experiment on your boat, potentially injesting even more water into your motor, AND not replace it?!?!
1978 19CD "Benny"
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

yeah, I'd tell them to buy the boat back and use it as a test mule and give you a replacement you can actually use.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Dudley67
Captain
Captain

Post by Dudley67 »

Basketballtitan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:37 pm New update. Volvo penta now wants to fill the boat, first was told with full of gear, full of people and tank full of fuel. Then was told they would do with weights in the boat to look at the waterline of the boat in the water This is ok but not sure how this is going to repair the hydrolocked motor. Getting frustrating, especially after talking with Volvo penta and the representative at the company saying they now are looking at not replacing the motor. Where last week I was told they were looking at replacing due to the bracket holding the starter being cracked which was told was part of the block.
Would demand they bring an identical boat with them, then when they are done and looking at the data, switch HIN #’s and drive off into the sunset...

But seriously, might be time to introduce My cousin Vinny to them..
Current:

2016 Marker One ML4
“Looney toon”

1975 18TH
“Phoenix”

Past:
2001 226
1989 19BR
2007 252
1992 222 Condurre
Basketballtitan
Ensign
Ensign

Well I heard today from the dealer and Volvo was just going to change out the block but then decided to change the whole motor. Has to be built and then will be shipped to dealer for install. Looks like this is going to end in a good resolution. Cobalt and the dealer did follow up several times in the past few days with updates which was nice as well to feel like I was i the loop. This started bad to say the least but thankfully it looks like it will end well. Hope to have the boat back maybe by Christmas 😃
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

Basketballtitan wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 pm Well I heard today from the dealer and Volvo was just going to change out the block but then decided to change the whole motor. Has to be built and then will be shipped to dealer for install. Looks like this is going to end in a good resolution. Cobalt and the dealer did follow up several times in the past few days with updates which was nice as well to feel like I was i the loop. This started bad to say the least but thankfully it looks like it will end well. Hope to have the boat back maybe by Christmas 😃
Now THATS the way things should be handled. did they do the water line test? what were the results? If they are putting a new motor in what will be the difference and prevent it from happening again... Also how many other boats have this same issue... these are the things running through my head.
1978 19CD "Benny"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Lockey14s wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 am
Basketballtitan wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 pm Well I heard today from the dealer and Volvo was just going to change out the block but then decided to change the whole motor. Has to be built and then will be shipped to dealer for install. Looks like this is going to end in a good resolution. Cobalt and the dealer did follow up several times in the past few days with updates which was nice as well to feel like I was i the loop. This started bad to say the least but thankfully it looks like it will end well. Hope to have the boat back maybe by Christmas 😃
Now THATS the way things should be handled. did they do the water line test? what were the results? If they are putting a new motor in what will be the difference and prevent it from happening again... Also how many other boats have this same issue... these are the things running through my head.
Right. We are a pretty small community here and we have had 2 of them this summer. It doesn't mean it's all of them but Y? Are they making a spacer plate what are they changing. Just ask for a 430 ecu right away maybe that will help. At least in my mind it will 😂😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
joe255558
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joe255558 »

I have an R5 Surf and just had the exact same problem. Went to start the engine and nothing but a click and the smell of something burning from the back of the engine and smoke coming from the starter. Dealer says the motor is hydrolocked. Has this happened to others? What is the long term fix to keep it from happening in the future?
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

If you’re still under warranty take it in now. If you’re out of warranty, pull the plugs and turn the engine over watching which ones spit water out. Once it’s done spitting water do a compression check. Report back with the compression numbers and we’ll take it from there.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes