R5 Underwater light install

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
greenhut
Captain
Captain

R5 Underwater light install

Post by greenhut »

Thanks to the members that have been through this and advised. Completed our underwater light install today. Will try and provide all the info, links, and pics, but seems 3 pics per post max.

We wanted UW lighting, but didnt want to pay $1800 for the Cobalt factory option - even with discounts. We purchased the following light and used code "drc7" for a discount. About $187 delivered.

https://boatpluglight.myshopify.com/col ... 000-lumens

ADMIN: Updated Link - https://boatpluglight.myshopify.com/col ... drain-port

We ordered straight up blue. You can order an RGB light which allows different colors, but Norris_Boating confirmed it is 1/3 the output of solid color. Solid colors, because of the extra output, also require a voltage regulator (included). RGB needs a controller and remote which I did not explore.

Fortunately, Cobalt provides the same wiring harness regardless of features. Unfortunately, I could not find a connector for the "Underwater Lights" button in the engine area. There is a connector for "Swim Platform Lights" which is what I used. Hopefully another member with factory UW lighting, or someone that found the UW lights connector can advise.

Cobalt uses water resistant "Deutsch" connectors. While you could just cut the connector off, I wanted a clean and reversible install. Deutsch connectors can be ordered online, but technically require a relatively expensive and specialized crimping tool. I happened to have a different tool that worked great (pics later). Here is the $8 Deutsch connector I ordered:

It connected perfectly to the factory Cobalt power line for the Swim Platform Lights.

Other than that, I used some heat shrink butt connectors, some heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, zip ties, and wire protecting tube.

As advised by several other forum members, be sure the drain plug light does not extend below your transom - you could hit debris and find you no longer have a drain plug... or boat.

Pics of install...
IMG_0871.jpeg
IMG_0877.jpeg
IMG_0878.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Re: R5 Underwater light install

Post by greenhut »

IMG_0887.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg
IMG_0899.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Tool I used to crimp the Deutsch pins:
IMG_0900.jpeg
Heat Shrink Butt Connectors, plus heat shrink tubing:
IMG_0903.jpeg
And some electrical tape:
IMG_0906.jpeg
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Mounted here for now:
IMG_0909.jpeg
Added some corrugated wire tube:
IMG_0912.jpeg
Better pictures soon :)
IMG_0921.jpeg
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Nicely done , and great pictures with your process!
Those are billet tough so no worries! Nights are gonna be epic!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice job gh!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Excuse my ignorance, but how to you drain the boat after installing this feature?
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:58 pm Excuse my ignorance, but how to you drain the boat after installing this feature?
The light is the drain plug now. I have something similar. No more wrench! Just unscrew by hand. We let ours "hang" after we unscrew it as it seems to be the perfect height to not contact the ground yet long enough to hang down to let the bilge water drain. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Some of the models come with a smaller tap in the light that you can loosen and drain water while leaving the light in place.

We are in drystack, never trailer, and in 15 years with our last boat, didnt remove the drain plug once.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:59 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:58 pm Excuse my ignorance, but how to you drain the boat after installing this feature?
The light is the drain plug now. I have something similar. No more wrench! Just unscrew by hand. We let ours "hang" after we unscrew it as it seems to be the perfect height to not contact the ground yet long enough to hang down to let the bilge water drain. 8-)
Interesting. Does the Cobalt factory assembly look the same? Also, if the OP switched the wiring under the dash, he could have the underwater light button work the underwater lights - correct?
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

That makaes sense, but in my province, I'm told that if you are caught trailering with the drain plug in place it is a $1,200 fine. They want invasive species to drain out of the bilge before mandatory treatment prior to dropping the boat into a new lake.
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:26 pm That makaes sense, but in my province, I'm told that if you are caught trailering with the drain plug in place it is a $1,200 fine. They want invasive species to drain out of the bilge before mandatory treatment prior to dropping the boat into a new lake.
The one I have is easier to unscrew by hand than the standard plug. Once unscrewed, you would just need a good place in the stern to secure it while trailering. The power wire would still go into the bilge connecting to power.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:26 pm
That makaes sense, but in my province, I'm told that if you are caught trailering with the drain plug in place it is a $1,200 fine. They want invasive species to drain out of the bilge before mandatory treatment prior to dropping the boat into a new lake.
Yes, that is part of our routine.
We pull up to the ramp with the drain plug light hanging. We then screw it in by hand and launch the boat.

When finished boating, we pull the boat out of the water at the ramp. While still at the sloped part of the ramp, we unscrew the plug-let her hang- and let the bilge drain while also trimming the outdrive all the way down to let all the water drain out at the ramp.

We then pull the boat away from the ramp (after raising the outdrive) and wipe her down with hot sauce.

No invasive species transferred. :D

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Interesting. Does the Cobalt factory assembly look the same? Also, if the OP switched the wiring under the dash, he could have the underwater light button work the underwater lights - correct?
Good point Bob. If you can get to the wire.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Cobalt factory lights have two LED fixtures cut into either side of the drive in the transom - not a plug light.

I was thinking the same! Maybe I can switch the dash buttons, cause for no good reason, it annoys the crap out of me I have to push the slightly wrong button name :)
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover