What do you think about cracking the seal on the fuel tank

sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

What do you think about cracking the seal on the fuel tank

Post by sailor55330 »

Based on schedules and the inevitable weather, I don't think I'm going to get to run out my fuel. I have about 48% left. It's non-ethanol and its been stabilized and will get another shot at winterization, but still, I've always found it better to run low with the long winters in MN. I have a fuel pump, but due to the long filler neck and the hard 90 degree angle, I haven't been able to pump through the filler neck. I know where the access plate is and I know I could crack the tank through the float access port, but I really don't want to do that. I did it once on my old boat and the gas smell never went away after that. Am I crazy for thinking this way. I never seem to time my tank levels very well.
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: What do you think about cracking the seal on the fuel tank

Post by Bfun220 »

sailor55330 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:55 am Based on schedules and the inevitable weather, I don't think I'm going to get to run out my fuel. I have about 48% left. It's non-ethanol and its been stabilized and will get another shot at winterization, but still, I've always found it better to run low with the long winters in MN. I have a fuel pump, but due to the long filler neck and the hard 90 degree angle, I haven't been able to pump through the filler neck. I know where the access plate is and I know I could crack the tank through the float access port, but I really don't want to do that. I did it once on my old boat and the gas smell never went away after that. Am I crazy for thinking this way. I never seem to time my tank levels very well.
I never worry about how much fuel is left in the tank. I normally end up with a out 3/4 tank of gas when I store it. As long as its had stabile added i think your good.
2018 r5
2003 220
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

sailor55330 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:55 am Based on schedules and the inevitable weather, I don't think I'm going to get to run out my fuel. I have about 48% left. It's non-ethanol and its been stabilized and will get another shot at winterization, but still, I've always found it better to run low with the long winters in MN. I have a fuel pump, but due to the long filler neck and the hard 90 degree angle, I haven't been able to pump through the filler neck. I know where the access plate is and I know I could crack the tank through the float access port, but I really don't want to do that. I did it once on my old boat and the gas smell never went away after that. Am I crazy for thinking this way. I never seem to time my tank levels very well.
Funny how we all winterize differently S55553330000.

On Monday I asked my Merc mechanic whether to store our fuel tank full or empty. His response—full. 🤔. He said even plastic tanks can sweat with moisture. Of course maybe their marina just wants to sell more gas and Sea Foam products? He said that wasn’t his motivation and to fill up at the Citgo down the street with their 90 Octane Ethanol free product and then stabilize it. So that’s what I did...full again...for the last 24 years...with no issues of which I’m aware.

Who knows. Kinda like the great oil debate.

I think no matter what your preference, as a minimum add some type of stabilization product like Stabil or Sea Foam.
Use non ethanol fuel if possible but if you have to use E10, throw in some Ethanol treatment.

Side note. It was comical when I filled our boat tank up Monday. I put my ear up to the filler while pumping so I can listen when to back off pumping before fuel comes gushing out. I must have gotten distracted because it came out like a geyser for a second. I frantically dumped my water bottle down the hull side to rinse and then grabbed my bottle of Hot Sauce and microfiber towels from the SUV to clean it up. It’s now definitely full. :shock:

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I know A7. My dealer won’t give me a recommendation. Every time I have tried to store full with stabilizer in the old boat it ran like crap until I got through the tank and a2!fuel separators. Maybe it’s the extreme cold up here—-below zero for a couple of months. I don’t know. My snowblower with a tecumseh engine refuses to run in the fall if I leave fuel in it. My mower with a Honda engine doesn’t seem to care. It’s a mystery
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

sailor55330 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm I know A7. My dealer won’t give me a recommendation. Every time I have tried to store full with stabilizer in the old boat it ran like crap until I got through the tank and a2!fuel separators. Maybe it’s the extreme cold up here—-below zero for a couple of months. I don’t know. My snowblower with a tecumseh engine refuses to run in the fall if I leave fuel in it. My mower with a Honda engine doesn’t seem to care. It’s a mystery
It is a mystery. I keep all my cars full for storage and any lawn equipment full too. As a minimum though everything gets stabilized.

Again never had any issues.

BTW, if your fuel does happen to phase separate, there is no product that will bring it back. In that case, you must drain the tank. :oops:

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

I also fill the tank up and stabilize it. every year and on every boat ive owned. cant get non-ethanol where i am, so stuff will gel up from time to time in the carbs. i would avoid cracking that tank open unless its an absolute must.
1978 19CD "Benny"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Lockey14s wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:37 pm I also fill the tank up and stabilize it. every year and on every boat ive owned. cant get non-ethanol where i am, so stuff will gel up from time to time in the carbs. i would avoid cracking that tank open unless its an absolute must.
I’m guessing we are in the minority on the forum with that practice L14s. :geek:
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:55 pm
Lockey14s wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:37 pm I also fill the tank up and stabilize it. every year and on every boat ive owned. cant get non-ethanol where i am, so stuff will gel up from time to time in the carbs. i would avoid cracking that tank open unless its an absolute must.
I’m guessing we are in the minority on the forum with that practice L14s. :geek:
Haha i guess so... but if you dont stabilize non-ethanol it turns into a nightmare. also the vapors can do more harm than the liquid form, so thats why i fill up the tank. Or at least this is what ive been told
1978 19CD "Benny"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Sailor is this gas from last year. If not it's fine. Don't suck it out. I have a 1/8 of the tank and I like it that low. Next year fill up and good to go.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I had a 1/2 tank this spring. I filled it and then the season got derailed. It’s at half now
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

That's how I was reading it. I would fill it and add stabil and run it out next year with a bunch of wot runs.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

I always fill mine and add Stabil 360. No problems so far. Can't tell any difference in the way the boat runs at the first of the season. We only usually have a few days below freezing here, but there is a lot of temperature swing. Not unusual to have a few days in the upper 60's during Jan / Feb.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I fill mine every year and add Sta-bil. My neighbor that slips two over had to be towed in. I asked if he stores empty or full and he said empty every year. When he changed his fuel filter it was full of water. So I think theres validity in what A7 was told, with a plastic tank getting condensation. I've been told the same thing. I'd rather have bad gas than water.

I still fill it up with premium and Sta-bil.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
willyswagon
Captain
Captain

Post by willyswagon »

In the past I've always treated the fuel and kept the tank full. I've never had a problem. Last yr in the rush to get it serviced and stored before a forecast of 8 days solid rain, I ended up storing it with only half a tank of fuel. Turned out to be the same results as full tank. Perhaps the key is the stablizer that i put in every time I fill up?
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"