Ever Wonder What a 5.0 Piston Looks like? Me too...

NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Ever Wonder What a 5.0 Piston Looks like? Me too...

Post by NautiGirl »

liquid wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am
NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:37 am
liquid wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 am

Asking the important questions.
Don't worry the greatest boat ever made isnt that heavy. It's slim weight is one of its best features.
Yes and the quality manufactured GM 5.3 Eco pulls it easily, all the while managing to keep it's important fluids inside of itself.
For the record the F150 has kept all its important fluids in the engine, it has however allowed a little bit of extra water to enter the cab. I am sure it just knew I missed the lake and wanted a bit of water on my feet.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:57 am
NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:37 am

Don't worry the greatest boat ever made isnt that heavy. It's slim weight is one of its best features.
Yes and the quality manufactured GM 5.3 Eco pulls it easily, all the while managing to keep it's important fluids inside of itself.
For the record the F150 has kept all its important fluids in the engine, it has however allowed a little bit of extra water to enter the cab. I am sure it just knew I missed the lake and wanted a bit of water on my feet.
:lol:

I kid because I Loce.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

liquid wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 pm

I kid because I Loce.
Oh I get it, it's expected and in some sick way enjoyed. Truck water leak shaming?
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:45 pm
liquid wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 pm

I kid because I Loce.
Oh I get it, it's expected and in some sick way enjoyed. Truck water leak shaming?
The shaming has always been my favorite part.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

Lockey14s wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:57 am
Stagdad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm I'm one of those old fashioned guys that will not buy a full size truck with anything other than a V8. They are relatively slow turning under stressed units that have and hopefully will continue to give good service and longevity. Yes I know forced induction and smaller engines are what the manufacturers are doing but the high temps and high stresses don't instill me with confidence. I do love the rush of a turbo spooling up but I'm not sold on the longevity of them.Now if GM can keep their bodies from rusting I'll be happy. I actually looked at a new aluminum Ford before getting my '18 Silverado but the engine shutting off at stop lights killed the deal right there.Yeah I know they're all doing it now but I didn't ask for it and I don't want it. More weight, more cost and added complexity. Looks like I have purchased my last new vehicle for a while. Rant complete.
Same here. If Ford gets rid of V8s all together then that will be the day I go back to a chevy. I just love V8s too much. Period.

Also, you can turn off that engine start/stop. I didnt think it was offered on the 5.0?
I think 2018 Ford put it on every vehicle in their line up, now monkey see monkey do, GM and Chrysler are following suit. Yes a lot, not all,of new vehicles have a disable button, but it resets to default on every start up. Yes there are ways to get around it, but again I would rather not have the additional cost, weight and complexity added to begin with. I'm not bashing your Eco boost, if you like it then good for you. Heck I own a turbo Buick Regal but I don't have any illusions that it is going to go 250K trouble free miles. I just think that driven under the same conditions the V8 will last longer. Time will tell. Another thing I like about old tech is that they are rebuildable, if you can find a machine shop anymore. I don't know what Ford did to that 5.0 to mess it up but I'm glad I didn't buy one.
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

Stagdad wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 pm
Stagdad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm I'm one of those old fashioned guys that will not buy a full size truck with anything other than a V8. They are relatively slow turning under stressed units that have and hopefully will continue to give good service and longevity. Yes I know forced induction and smaller engines are what the manufacturers are doing but the high temps and high stresses don't instill me with confidence. I do love the rush of a turbo spooling up but I'm not sold on the longevity of them.Now if GM can keep their bodies from rusting I'll be happy. I actually looked at a new aluminum Ford before getting my '18 Silverado but the engine shutting off at stop lights killed the deal right there.Yeah I know they're all doing it now but I didn't ask for it and I don't want it. More weight, more cost and added complexity. Looks like I have purchased my last new vehicle for a while. Rant complete.
Same here. If Ford gets rid of V8s all together then that will be the day I go back to a chevy. I just love V8s too much. Period.

Also, you can turn off that engine start/stop. I didnt think it was offered on the 5.0?
I think 2018 Ford put it on every vehicle in their line up, now monkey see monkey do, GM and Chrysler are following suit. Yes a lot, not all,of new vehicles have a disable button, but it resets to default on every start up. Yes there are ways to get around it, but again I would rather not have the additional cost, weight and complexity added to begin with. I'm not bashing your Eco boost, if you like it then good for you. Heck I own a turbo Buick Regal but I don't have any illusions that it is going to go 250K trouble free miles. I just think that driven under the same conditions the V8 will last longer. Time will tell. Another thing I like about old tech is that they are rebuildable, if you can find a machine shop anymore. I don't know what Ford did to that 5.0 to mess it up but I'm glad I didn't buy one.
I dont have a ecoboost, I have a 5.0 V8. I dont have start/stop either and it would be pretty awkward if it did since i have a pretty noticable exhaust system on the truck lol. But apparently all the new trucks have that start stop feature which i also think is garbage. These 5.0 motors are one heck of an upgrade from the old turd 5.4L I use to have
1978 19CD "Benny"
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Stagdad wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 pm

It's sad, but cars today are built to live problem free through their factory warranty and then all bets are off. Number of cylinders or type of induction really doesn't matter.

Also, its important to realize that just because its a V8 doesn't mean its something you can wrench on in your garage. About the only thing the modern 5.0 shares with older generations of engines is the number of cylinders. The Coyote now has Direct Fuel Injection and Cylinder that are lined with a plasma transferred wire arc thermal spraying. I am sure there are machine shops out there that can deal /w that, but as you said they will be far and few between. I haven't looked into it but I would imagine by the time you did a rebuild on the latest gen of Coyote you could have just bought a new truck.

People get hung up on the EcoBoost being more "complex", when in reality I have seen reports that the 5.0 actually has more parts and failure points. Just something to think about. I am sure people more knowledgeable than me like Matt or BBP will chime in soon, in the end it wont matter, the truck will do something stupid like leak water into the cab before the engine dies anyway.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Sorry but it's amazing what power we are getting out of the 4cyl 6 cyl and 8 cyl engines. I will take a new Gen engine over any engine back in the 90s. They don't leak and they really don't break that often. Sure we get a timing chain issue here and there, we get a 2.4 using a bunch of oil too but it's rare. We break exhaust bolts nonstop but reliable you can't complain at all. Heck you were lucky to see 100,000 miles before. Heck they used to leak so much oil. Now 200,000 is the norm.
Today's engines are not cheap to fix by any means though. Most old techs wouldn't even touch today's engines they would be lost. Vvt what dual cam what turbo hell Yea, supercharger hell yes. You want v8 noise Dodge has it 😂😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

So many excellent points made here with one common thread.

We have come to an age where engine design has easily exceeded 1 hp per cubic inch. This was no easy task in the 70-80s as the thinking was being changed by emissions standards, and a Corvette had 200hp in a crossfire injected V8🤣.

Then something happened.. something engineers had seen starting in cylinder head development on engines for performance, but failed to make the efficiency for fuel economy.

Cylinder heads were starting to be able to fill a normally aspirated engine at 100% in each cylinder when the intake valve opened.
Air flow machines were being simulated with computers and taking the constant guess work out .

Engines now could run lower compression ratios, and still achieve a remarkable air speed fill and flow rate. They were becoming economical and powerful.

Yes I’m an old school pushrod V8 junky but I admire the ability, and new levels of power that are all coming from advanced cylinder head design.
Now power, and Torque still have to find that right blend for our needs but the fact that we see 3.5 engines being fed to achieve a cubic inch that is 30% over efficient and take the torque above a normally aspertated V8 is impressive in today’s world.
Just think though that GM did a 3.8 turbo Grand National in 1987 that was impressive ( 360 ft lbs torque) but had no understanding on how to keep them alive.
So 33 years later we have to look back and see how we got here. I enjoy all engine theory from all manufacturers ... as it’s our history to remember while we migrate into an electric Hi Torque era.
The next 10 years are going to be exciting. What’s next?
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

cmattj wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:04 pm So many excellent points made here with one common thread.

We have come to an age where engine design has easily exceeded 1 hp per cubic inch. This was no easy task in the 70-80s as the thinking was being changed by emissions standards, and a Corvette had 200hp in a crossfire injected V8🤣.

Then something happened.. something engineers had seen starting in cylinder head development on engines for performance, but failed to make the efficiency for fuel economy.

Cylinder heads were starting to be able to fill a normally aspirated engine at 100% in each cylinder when the intake valve opened.
Air flow machines were being simulated with computers and taking the constant guess work out .

Engines now could run lower compression ratios, and still achieve a remarkable air speed fill and flow rate. They were becoming economical and powerful.

Yes I’m an old school pushrod V8 junky but I admire the ability, and new levels of power that are all coming from advanced cylinder head design.
Now power, and Torque still have to find that right blend for our needs but the fact that we see 3.5 engines being fed to achieve a cubic inch that is 30% over efficient and take the torque above a normally aspertated V8 is impressive in today’s world.
Just think though that GM did a 3.8 turbo Grand National in 1987 that was impressive ( 360 ft lbs torque) but had no understanding on how to keep them alive.
So 33 years later we have to look back and see how we got here. I enjoy all engine theory from all manufacturers ... as it’s our history to remember while we migrate into an electric Hi Torque era.
It was 10 years ago when GM released the C6 ZR1 and they had Jay Leno on stage saying buy this Corvette now. Due to EPA and MPG regulations this is the last car like this we will ever be able to build. And now look at what they are doing.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

cmattj wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:04 pm So many excellent points made here with one common thread.

Well said regardless of your preferred manufacturer or engine choice we are in a golden age of automotive performance. Next 10 years should bring some very exciting changes. I am going to miss the internal combustion engine, but welcome the advantages electric should bring.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

I agree completely BBP and Cmatt. Everyone still complains and bashes each others brands, but in actuality this is a good thing. It drives the car manufacturers to be better. the competition drives those HP numbers, torque numbers and tow rating numbers higher each year while also getting better fuel mileage and racking up the odometer. Its truly incredible.
1978 19CD "Benny"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Hijack warning? Psftsssst....

1. That new Rivian truck? WANT. ONE. BIGTIME.

2. Matt your mechanical knowledge continues to impress and blow me away. BB runs a very close second.

3. If that was my truck sitting there with its skirt hiked up, they would be buying that sucker back. Period.

4. Happy Birthday to Tuscany!

5. Epstein didn't kill himself
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 am Hijack warning? Psftsssst....

1. That new Rivian truck? WANT. ONE. BIGTIME.

2. Matt your mechanical knowledge continues to impress and blow me away. BB runs a very close second.

3. If that was my truck sitting there with its skirt hiked up, they would be buying that sucker back. Period.

4. Happy Birthday to Tuscany!

5. Epstein didn't kill himself
+1! :lol:

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Without question, Matt and BBP are extremely knowledgeable and yet somehow find a way to state things that even the most uneducated automotive users could understand. Technology has indeed come a long way. I can distinctly remember buying my last v8 SUV and it being specc'd for 5w-20...and yes, for efficiency, 0w-20.... A 20 weight oil in a V8? Blasphemy...and what the hell is a zero weight oil? Now I look at the forced air inductions and what they are able to do. It really is mind blowing. I have a car with a 2.0L turbo engine that is putting out 258HP. If I am doing the math correctly, that is 122cu inch displacement and 129hp/L.....with a 10,000 oil change interval. I still don't, but that's what the manufacturer calls for. Heck, can you imagine what a turbo V8 from the factory should do? Based on the math above (I know, a little flawed due to diminishing returns), but how bout a 5.0L engine that puts out 610HP? I do understand the basics of how a motor generates HP, but how it generates/what dictates torque is somewhat of a mystery to me, but that's ok because I have BBP and Matt in my corner if I ever really want to know.

Oh, and by the way, even with all this technology, Epstein still didn't kill himself.