Ever Wonder What a 5.0 Piston Looks like? Me too...

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ever Wonder What a 5.0 Piston Looks like? Me too...

Post by Big Block Power »

sailor55330 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 pm Thread Hijack warning

CJM——what’s the prediction on the new Tahoe/Burb towing numbers with the upcoming IRS?

Any truth to the baby Duramax showing up in it soon?
3.0 dirty max is coming. But it won't be in a z71 package. They forgot how to make a frt end. Lol
2 years after maybe they will fix that issue. Tow package yep hook up and go. Ratings are over rated 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

CJM——what’s the prediction on the new Tahoe/Burb towing numbers with the upcoming IRS?

Haaa Nice one...

As I dont know the upcoming Towing capabilities it apears with "Active ride" (leveling along with lowering and raising 2 "inches while in operation) it could have some limitations, but Im sure GM wouldn't go backwards in Towing capacities.

I'm glad they have changed the design to have a lower, yet sleeker version but we will have to see real numbers by mid year. Its a biger model in length (Tahoe and Sub) as these have been challenging for most consumers to fit the Sub ina garage space that could be interesting??

Yes The 3.0 Duramax is whats coming for now with the ability to hold torq numbers at 460Ft lbs at 1500ish rpms. This would allow the 10 speed transmission to idle down the freeway without hunting for lower gears constantly. So we shall see right??

Imagine 460ft lbs at 1500rpms in a Cobalt. Sheesh you could put in gear and pop up on plane. :D
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I’m the first to admit a diesel in an suv peaks my interest. The baby Duramax gets good reviews. Surprising that it had lower tow ratings than the 6.2 gasser—-I am assuming from weight. I have to admit the torque curve looks like a table top!!! I don’t hear a lot on the the little p-stroke and the Eco Diesel seems to hold its own so with that said, I’m calling out BBP and CJM

You get one baby diesel. Which one. Eco or Dirtymax. And yes you have to choose since you are our resident auto manufacturer experts
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sailor55330 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 am I’m the first to admit a diesel in an suv peaks my interest. The baby Duramax gets good reviews. Surprising that it had lower tow ratings than the 6.2 gasser—-I am assuming from weight. I have to admit the torque curve looks like a table top!!! I don’t hear a lot on the the little p-stroke and the Eco Diesel seems to hold its own so with that said, I’m calling out BBP and CJM

You get one baby diesel. Which one. Eco or Dirtymax. And yes you have to choose since you are our resident auto manufacturer experts
Both 3.0 one has been around much longer and has proven performance. 😂😂
The grand wagoneer is coming soon. You can't go wrong with either I'm sure. We will be on tn he 3rd Gen 3.0 which I'm sure will be much better than the prev. They always are right 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

I'm one of those old fashioned guys that will not buy a full size truck with anything other than a V8. They are relatively slow turning under stressed units that have and hopefully will continue to give good service and longevity. Yes I know forced induction and smaller engines are what the manufacturers are doing but the high temps and high stresses don't instill me with confidence. I do love the rush of a turbo spooling up but I'm not sold on the longevity of them.Now if GM can keep their bodies from rusting I'll be happy. I actually looked at a new aluminum Ford before getting my '18 Silverado but the engine shutting off at stop lights killed the deal right there.Yeah I know they're all doing it now but I didn't ask for it and I don't want it. More weight, more cost and added complexity. Looks like I have purchased my last new vehicle for a while. Rant complete.
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Stagdad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm I'm one of those old fashioned guys that will not buy a full size truck with anything other than a V8. They are relatively slow turning under stressed units that have and hopefully will continue to give good service and longevity. Yes I know forced induction and smaller engines are what the manufacturers are doing but the high temps and high stresses don't instill me with confidence. I do love the rush of a turbo spooling up but I'm not sold on the longevity of them.Now if GM can keep their bodies from rusting I'll be happy. I actually looked at a new aluminum Ford before getting my '18 Silverado but the engine shutting off at stop lights killed the deal right there.Yeah I know they're all doing it now but I didn't ask for it and I don't want it. More weight, more cost and added complexity. Looks like I have purchased my last new vehicle for a while. Rant complete.
Nothing bad there. But that aluminum body is and will corrode. We can't stop it on our hoods.
I would love a twin turbo hemi!!
Or just bolt on that beautiful supercharger.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

sailor55330 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 am I’m calling out BBP and CJM

No expert but hanging out with GM trucks for 30 years I’ll give you this.

I’ve seen the 454 and a turbo 400 be the thing of beauty.
I’ve seen technology lean towards fuel economy and emissions standards while trying to please the market.
And yes I have seen GM go away from the thought of 3/4 suburbans and the Duramax. Not because they couldn’t fit it. ( they built a Duramax express van). But they didn’t want to impact truck sales.
So in short you risk a lot of throttle input when “ Towing” and those small turbo versions and Baby Duramax versions are gonna get a serious work out when used for this purpose.

Are the great the other 99% of the time we’re not towing?? You bet they are, and that is what the general consumer wants.

Me ???
I miss the short lived 502 in the 3/4 ton suburban. It did it all ..even at 8 mpg 🤣.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

cmattj wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:16 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 am I’m calling out BBP and CJM

No expert but hanging out with GM trucks for 30 years I’ll give you this.

I’ve seen the 454 and a turbo 400 be the thing of beauty.
I’ve seen technology lean towards fuel economy and emissions standards while trying to please the market.
And yes I have seen GM go away from the thought of 3/4 suburbans and the Duramax. Not because they couldn’t fit it. ( they built a Duramax express van). But they didn’t want to impact truck sales.
So in short you risk a lot of throttle input when “ Towing” and those small turbo versions and Baby Duramax versions are gonna get a serious work out when used for this purpose.

Are the great the other 99% of the time we’re not towing?? You bet they are, and that is what the general consumer wants.

Me ???
I miss the short lived 502 in the 3/4 ton suburban. It did it all ..even at 8 mpg 🤣.
Honestly GM missed the boat not doing a duraburb. Huge mistake. That would have been the ultimate toy hauler.
Put a Cummins in a grand wagoneer and you got the bomb. Too bad we will never see either.
Maybe we can get a SRT Wagoneer?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

Stagdad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm I'm one of those old fashioned guys that will not buy a full size truck with anything other than a V8. They are relatively slow turning under stressed units that have and hopefully will continue to give good service and longevity. Yes I know forced induction and smaller engines are what the manufacturers are doing but the high temps and high stresses don't instill me with confidence. I do love the rush of a turbo spooling up but I'm not sold on the longevity of them.Now if GM can keep their bodies from rusting I'll be happy. I actually looked at a new aluminum Ford before getting my '18 Silverado but the engine shutting off at stop lights killed the deal right there.Yeah I know they're all doing it now but I didn't ask for it and I don't want it. More weight, more cost and added complexity. Looks like I have purchased my last new vehicle for a while. Rant complete.
Same here. If Ford gets rid of V8s all together then that will be the day I go back to a chevy. I just love V8s too much. Period.

Also, you can turn off that engine start/stop. I didnt think it was offered on the 5.0?
1978 19CD "Benny"
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Stagdad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm I'm one of those old fashioned guys that will not buy a full size truck with anything other than a V8. They are relatively slow turning under stressed units that have and hopefully will continue to give good service and longevity. Yes I know forced induction and smaller engines are what the manufacturers are doing but the high temps and high stresses don't instill me with confidence.
Let me start this by saying I love my EcoBoost and that the V8 vs EcoBoost argument can go on forever. That said...

You can't just say a V8 is more reliable because it doesn't turn as many RPM's as a Forced Induction V6. In fact the V8 in the F150 was originally a mustang engine that was designed to make power in the top end of the RPM Band. Took a quick look, in the 2018 model peak horsepower is at 5,750 peak torque is at 4,500. If you are towing anything heavy /w the 5.0 you are going to be spending some time in the upper RPM range. Not that its necessary a bad thing, the engine was designed to do that, just like the 3.5 V6 was designed to handle making power through the use of turbocharging. Just depends on how you want to make your power.

The great thing about the EcoBoost that you are missing out on is the torque is delivered at a much lower point in the RPM band. It's not like I am screaming along at 3,500 RPM on the highway, in fact its exactly the opposite. Cruise at 80 /w the 3:55 rear end is around 2,100. If you hit a hill it doesn't downshift, just adds some boost.

Where it does lack is in engine braking. The 3.5L just isnt enough engine to really slow down by itself /w a boat behind it. But hey thats why we have trailer brakes right?
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Lockey14s wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:57 am
Same here. If Ford gets rid of V8s all together then that will be the day I go back to a chevy. I just love V8s too much. Period.

Also, you can turn off that engine start/stop. I didnt think it was offered on the 5.0?
The 5.0 does have auto start stop. I hate it and don't think its worth the .0001 mpg it saves on the EPA rating, but looks like its here to stay.

There are a few aftermarket solutions to disable it. The easiest is actually to plug a trailer connector into the 7 way on the back of the truck. The truck wont auto-start stop if it thinks its got a trailer behind it.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Asking the important questions.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

liquid wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 am

Don't worry the greatest boat ever made isnt that heavy. It's slim weight is one of its best features. No need for all of this truck sillyness to get on the water.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:37 am
liquid wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 am

Don't worry the greatest boat ever made isnt that heavy. It's slim weight is one of its best features.
Yes and the quality manufactured GM 5.3 Eco pulls it easily, all the while managing to keep it's important fluids inside of itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:14 am
Lockey14s wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:57 am

The 5.0 does have auto start stop. I hate it and don't think its worth the .0001 mpg it saves on the EPA rating, but looks like its here to stay.

There are a few aftermarket solutions to disable it. The easiest is actually to plug a trailer connector into the 7 way on the back of the truck. The truck wont auto-start stop if it thinks its got a trailer behind it.
Thats a good little hack! my 2016 5.0 doesnt have it... must be a 2018+ thing
1978 19CD "Benny"